Hounslow Council


Agenda, decisions and minutes

Venue: Committee Room 2, Civic Centre, Lampton Road, Hounslow. View directions

Contact: Jane Medici 020 8583 2064 Email: jane.medici1@hounslow.gov.uk 

Items
No. Item

1.

Welcome and Introduction/Apologies for absence

Minutes:

The Chair accepted apologies and welcomed Steve O’Connell (Deputy Mayor for London) and Jude Noronha from Victim Support.

2.

Minutes of Last Meeting 18th March 2015 pdf icon PDF 99 KB

Decision:

Ward Panel representation to be decided.  Rob Weir to discuss Neighbourhood Panel representation at next meeting of 4 Neighbourhood Panel Inspectors.  Rachel Heydon to co-ordinate with Inspectors/decision to confirm agreed representation by Neighbourhood Panel Chairs at SNB.

Minutes:

The minutes of the meeting held on 18 March 2015 were accepted with the following amendments:

 

Page 3, Report on complaints against the police

 

That in the paragraph beginning

 

‘Debbie Brenner agreed that good work was being done..’

 

Be amended to read:

 

Debbie Brenner agreed that good work was being done in the Borough.  She reported that having a dedicated Faith Officer was a positive step and much appreciated by the members of Hounslow Friends of Faith.

 

Matters arising:

 

Representation from Ward Panels

 

Rob Weir requested that this representation be clarified.  Earnest Cooper would like a letter written to the ward panels to confirm the position regarding representation of ward panels at the SNB once ward panel representation is decided.   Rob Weir is to discuss the neighbourhood panel representation at the next meeting of the 4 neighbourhood panel Inspectors, ideally each of the 4 neighbourhood panels should be represented.  Minoo Dhiri confirmed that she believed that Earnest Cooper had not been invited to attend the last neighbourhood panel meeting and that David Blackett had been selected to represent the 4 neighbourhood panels.

 

Action:  Rachel Heydon is to co-ordinate the ward panel representation and the Inspectors decision on whether to confirm agreed representation by Neighbourhood Panel Chairs at SNB.

 

Carl Bussey reported that no volunteers had been recruited from IAG at this time.

 

3.

Rugby World Cup 2015

Decision:

Prepare a one page report on impact of the Rugby World Cup and any mitigating factors.

Minutes:

Rob Weir reported that a meeting had been held in Twickenham about the world cup.  Earnest Cooper reported that he had not been informed of this meeting and he was also concerned about the closure to the A316 and the knock on effect this would have on local traffic.  Carl Bussey reported that Richmond and Hounslow Police were liaising on the road closure and that the decision to close the road had not been a police decision but rather had to do with accommodating the media and corporate hospitality requirements.  Carl Bussey reported that he was very positive about the event and the impact on local communities.

 

Action:

 

Rob Weir to prepare a one page report on the impact of the Rugby World Cup and any mitigating factors.

4.

MOPAC Funding

Decision:

Set early June meeting date to carry forward work of Bid Comittee and ensure Bids with clear links to ‘Community Engagement’ completed and submitted on time.  Current bids to be submitted and additional bids completed.  Possible Bids to be considered:

 

·         Identified engagement issues with specific wards;

·         CSE

·         Gangs

·         Work in Schools to raise awareness of stop and search (Minoo Dhiri)

 

Minoo Dhiri to put bid together for Stop and Search schools engagement project.

Minutes:

At the time of the meeting 4 applications had been submitted.  Some changes were requested specifically around the wording of the outcomes which needed to be ‘harder’.  The bids amounted to £29 000 at this point although the amount available this year had been £51 000. 

 

Rachel Heydon questioned why the bids needed to be in by 30 June 2015.  Steve O’Connell reported that the funds needed to be spent within the last Mayoral year and encouraged the board to submit bids as soon as possible.

 

Chris Benson confirmed that he needed the existing applications in before the deadline and that the remaining funds would be considered after that.  Steve O’Connell reported that it was important to spend the money but was aware of the tight deadline.

 

Chris Benson was happy to come to meetings to support the preparation of applications.  Carl Bussey confirmed that he supported getting a date during June to carry this forward.

 

Steve O’Connell reported that it was important to include a community engagement aspect in funding applications and that bids should be specifically targeted.  Chris Benson suggested that bids could be about particular issues within specific wards and that bids should be for ‘biggish’ amounts.

 

Debbie Brenner raise the issue of CSE which as a particular police priority should also be looked at in terms of a funding.  Carl Bussey confirmed that CSE and gangs were high priorities.

 

Minoo Dhiri reported that Stop and Search had been going to schools to raise awareness of Stop and Search and questioned whether it would be possible to create a bid for this work which included the possible development of a drama by Kingsley Academy.

 

Sabeel Khan requested that members send all bid ideas to Rachel Heydon and Nigel Farmer before Friday, 12 June 2015.  Bids should outline how they would achieve their strategic aim and needed to be succinct.

 

Action:

 

Set early June meeting date to carry forward work of Bid Comittee and ensure Bids with clear links to ‘Community Engagement’ completed and submitted on time.  Current bids to be submitted and additional bids completed.  Possible Bids to be considered:

 

·         Identified engagement issues with specific wards;

·         CSE

·         Gangs

·         Work in Schools to raise awareness of stop and search (Minoo Dhiri)

 

Minoo Dhiri to put bid together for Stop and Search schools engagement project.

5.

Burglary

Minutes:

Rachel Heydon shared an example of police sending a follow-up letter providing information around the outcome of the investigation within 24 hours of the crime being reported.  She requested information with regards to how this was managed locally.

 

Carl Bussey reported that every burglary was managed through a ‘cocoon’ approach by Rob Weir’s team and that they are all are investigated both proactively and reactively.  He said it would be unusual for a letter to be sent out within such a short time, although when there is a clear result available, whether good or bad, this would be shared with the resident as soon as possible.

6.

Examination of Crime Statistics / (MOPAC data) pdf icon PDF 731 KB

Minutes:

The latest statistics from MOPAC were shared with the board.  These showed good results over all although the figures for violence with injury were still a concern - this does not necessarily indicate that GBH is becoming more violent but rather that a wider range of incidents was being reported under this header.  The police were looking at persistent hotspots such as town centres, and providing a joint strategic reponse with the aim to get more convictions. 

 

The increase in sexual offences was likely to be a continuing trend.  The Met needed to look at how they could deal more effectively with rape victims.

 

There is also a need to look at how the MOPAC stretch targets were being achieved.  Since 2012 there had been a 25.6% reduction in crime which put Hounslow at the 4th best performing borough in the Met.

 

Flavia Beckwith questioned the reported number of vehicle thefts in Chiswick.   Carl Bussey confirmed that this was a problem area particularly where it adjoined Hammersmith and Fulham.  There is currently a joined up asset in place along the borough border and the police were working with Hammersmith and Fulham to change the way vehicles were often left open and unsecured.

 

Carl Bussey reported he was positive about the engagement with the faith sector and that he was satisfied with the stats around faith hate crime which were reflective of a high level of open engagement on the part of the police.  This engagement had also ensured wider access to the police.

 

 

 

7.

Report on complaints against the Police

Decision:

Confidence and Satisfaction in Police to be added as standing item on future SNB agendas.

Minutes:

Carl Bussey reported that public confidence had improved by 15% over one quarter.  It was now possible to also break this information down in terms of demographics within specific areas.

 

Chris Benson reported that the stats available on the MOPAC website contained some very useful information.  Steve O’Connell agreed that they provided the opportunity to compare like with like.  Part of MOPAC’s target was to increase confidence and the stats on the MOPAC site were providing evidence of this.

 

Steve O’Connell reported that the work being done in Hounslow should be commended in respect of levels of public confidence.

 

Rachel Heydon confirmed that the public were engaging in the process.

Carl Bussey reported that the local police had been working to engage with the public on many levels including through the use of twitter and different languages, however, ongoing issues with accuracy and clarity of understanding continued to lead to low satisfaction.  It was reported that the management of complaints would be critical to their future reduction.  Possible emerging patterns in respect of officers were also being looked at.  The approach being taken with officers included asking them to consider how they would like a member of their own family treated in similar circumstances.

 

Debbie Brenner questioned how the 11% increase in complaints about discrimination was being addressed. Carl Bussey reported that this was fed back through training and specific targeted work with individuals and where needed disciplinary proceedings.

 

Minoo Dhiri reported concerns about the way younger officers spoke to individuals in stop and search situations.  Carl Bussey responded that if individuals could be identified this would be attended to as rudeness was never acceptable.

 

Chris Benson reported that police complaints procedures were set to be opened to the public, to provide transparency.

 

David Hardman requested that the previously run stop and search information events be rolled out again.  Minoo Dhiri confirmed that this was already happening.  Danny McIntosh was specifically requested as he had been well received in the past.

 

Action:

 

Confidence and Satisfaction in Police to be added as standing item on future SNB agendas.

8.

Reports from the associated groups:

·         Independent Custody Visitors

·         Independent Advisory Group

·         Stop and Search Community Monitoring Group

Decision:

Sub-group reports to SNB to remain a standing item and all sub-groups to ensure reports sent to Clerk / Chair for inclusion in pack at least two weeks before every SNB meeting.

Minutes:

Stop and Search:   Minoo Dhiri requested that reports be asked for in good time, she had been unable to prepare a Stop and Search report in the time allowed and did not have one to share with the group.

 

Action:

 

Sub-group reports to SNB are to remain a standing item and all sub-groups must ensure reports are sent to the Clerk / Chair for inclusion in pack at least two weeks before every SNB meeting.

9.

Any Other Business

Decision:

Use of flexible policing at Ward level to be clarified at Ward Panel meetings.

 

SNB membership to be work on and clarified with new members invited where needed.

Minutes:

Chris Benson reported that the Custody Visitors were almost up to full strength and requested board members help in finding further volunteers to be ‘appropriate adults’ for the Independent Custody Visitor programme.

 

David Hardman reported that there had been an article in the Hounslow Chronicle suggesting that Safer Neighbourhood teams could be moved within the borough and requested clarification on this.

 

Carl Bussey responded that there had been an increase in local officers of between 120 and 160 dedicated officers.  On occasion there was a need to create flexibility to assist a ward with a specific problem.  This would only be done after careful consideration and for limited time periods.

 

Rachel Heydon reported that the safer neighbourhood teams needed to be consistently promoted and that care should be taken to keep the safer neighbourhood team branding clear and consistent.  Carl Bussey agreed that care should be taken with wording when speaking to the media.  Rob Weir added that effective policing required a level of flexibility within teams.

 

Rachel Heydon read an e-mail commending the actions of policemen who prevented a man from jumping from Kew Bridge and requested that an award be given.  Carl Bussey confirmed that a Borough Commander Commendation was to be awarded for this work.

 

Ernest Cooper requested information on how the Ministry of Justice on-line initiative called ‘Track my Crime’ was being promoted locally.  Rachel Heydon clarified that the Met was not part of this, nor was it a MOPAC initiative.

 

Debbie Brenner questioned whether the need for extra policing around rape and sex crimes was going to impact the Met.  Carl Bussey responded that this would be managed centrally and would not impact on the local force.

 

Cllr Richard Foote questioned what was being done with regards to membership of the SNB.  Rachel Heydon and Nigel Farmer are to take this forward.  Ernest Cooper reported that the Chairs of the Ward Panels should be included.

 

Action:

 

Use of flexible policing at Ward level to be clarified at Ward Panel meetings.

 

SNB membership to be worked on and clarified with new members invited where needed.

 

 

10.

Dates of future meetings

Minutes:

The next meeting will be on 16 September 2015 with the following ones on:

 

15 December 2015 and 22 March 2016.

 

 

Action:

 

Dates of future meetings to be confirmed and e-mailed through.