Hounslow Council


Agenda, decisions and minutes

Venue: Public Meeting Room, Feltham Library, Feltham High Street

Contact: Wendy Merry 0208 583 2061 or Email: wendy.merry@hounslow.gov.uk 

Items
No. Item

63.

Declarations of Interest and Any Other Communications from Members

Decision:

Noted.

Minutes:

Councillor Mitchell advised that there was a Clean Up day planned for 7 April for the area by the railway line at the rear of Hanover Avenue. Hounslow Highways would also be there to help with the removal of larger items.

 

The Chair advised of the sudden death of Mark Savage, who had attended Area Forum meetings and had been a member of the Christ Church congregation. She invited people to take part in planting flowers in a trough the following day in memory of Mark and the Forum showed their respect by standing for a minute’s silence.

64.

Minutes of the meeting held on 19 November 2015 and matters arising pdf icon PDF 51 KB

Decision:

Minutes of the meeting held on 19 November 2015 were agreed, with the following amendment:

 

Amend ’30 Spinney Drive’ to ’39 Spinney Drive’ (1st para. item 36, page 1 refers).

Minutes:

Minutes of the meeting held on 19 November 2015 were agreed, with the following amendment:

 

Amend ’30 Spinney Drive’ to ’39 Spinney Drive’ (1st para. item 36, page 1 refers).

65.

Minutes of the meeting held on 28 January 2016 and matters arising pdf icon PDF 108 KB

Decision:

Minutes of the meeting held on 28 January 2016 were agreed, with the following amendment:

 

Amend ‘until the building started’ to ‘until such a time that the Council required access to the site’ (2nd para. item 47, page 6 refers).

Minutes:

Minutes of the meeting held on 28 January 2016 were agreed, with the following amendment:

 

Amend ‘until the building started’ to ‘until such a time that the Council required access to the site’ (2nd para. item 47, page 6 refers).

 

Matters Arising

 

Councillor Foote advised that he had contacted Power League about the address on their poster and although that poster had been removed he was aware that there were others. He had asked them to get the rest removed and advised that he would chase it up if they were still there in the next few days (item 48, page 7 refers).

 

The Chair advised that a public meeting had been arranged for Thursday 21 July and further information would be provided (item 60, page 12 refers).

66.

Petitions pdf icon PDF 52 KB

·       Extend Heathrow Free Travel Zone

Decision:

Noted. Officers to respond to the lead petitioner.

Minutes:

There were no speakers to talk in connection with the petition, but Councillor Foote advised that transport had been discussed at a meeting some of the Members had attended at Heathrow earlier that evening. Transport operated outside the Council’s remit, but they would encourage support for a travel scheme and were aware that there were funds available for some projects. It was agreed that Officers from the Transport Department would be asked to respond to the lead petitioner.

67.

Open Forum - for a maximum of 10 minutes

 

An opportunity for members of the public to address the meeting on general issues relating to the agenda and other issues not on the agenda.  Please note that individual cases cannot be discussed. 

 

It would be helpful where possible if issues can be submitted in writing prior to the meeting. A pro-forma is included at the back of the agenda pack to assist this. It is helpful, but not essential, if written submissions are made at least one full working day before the date of the meeting, as this may allow the opportunity for a response to the question or issue raised to be given at the meeting.

 

Please note that you can also use the pro-forma to submit suggestions for any topics you would like to see discussed at future Area Forum meetings.

Decision:

Buildings on Felthambrook Road

 

A member of the public raised concerns about a collection of ramshackle buildings, including stables and caravans, which had been erected on land in Felthambrook Road. The Chair advised that enforcement action had been agreed and would come into effect by the end of March if the notice was not adhered to.

 

CPZ in Queens Road/Kings Road

Several residents from Queens Road had received consultation letters in connection with a scheme for a controlled parking zone (CPZ), but were unclear as to whether part of the scheme had already been approved. The Chair advised that it had been agreed to go out to full consultation only, but that clarification of the process would be sought from officers.

 

Hounslow Heath

The Forum noted that the Planning Committee had recently refused a proposal for a scheme for an adventure park to be built on Hounslow Heath. Ian Stewart from Save Hounslow Heath advised that they had met with other campaign groups and would be putting some information on their web page to show how they would like to see the Heath properly used and safeguarded. The Chair asked Mr Stewart to let Members know of any projects or clean up days for the Heath, where they may need some help.

Minutes:

Buildings on Felthambrook Road

 

A member of the public raised concerns about a collection of ramshackle buildings, including stables and caravans, which had been erected on land in Felthambrook Road. The Chair advised that enforcement action had been agreed and would come into effect by the end of March if the notice was not adhered to.

 

CPZ in Queens Road/Kings Road

Several residents from Queens Road had received consultation letters in connection with a scheme for a controlled parking zone (CPZ), but were unclear as to whether part of the scheme had already been approved. The Chair advised that it had been agreed to go out to full consultation only, but that clarification of the process would be sought from officers.

 

Hounslow Heath

The Forum noted that the Planning Committee had recently refused a proposal for a scheme for an adventure park to be built on Hounslow Heath. Ian Stewart from Save Hounslow Heath advised that they had met with other campaign groups and would be putting some information on their web page to show how they would like to see the Heath properly used and safeguarded. The Chair asked Mr Stewart to let Members know of any projects or clean up days for the Heath, where they may need some help.

68.

Local Police Update - Presentation by Insp. Chris Mulrooney

Decision:

Members noted that the figures for Feltham Young Offenders were included in the report as part of Feltham West ward and asked that they be separated out in future reports, if possible.

Minutes:

Insp. Chris Mulrooney presented the report. He advised that the Police would be holding a day of action on 18 March at Southville Centre

 

Members noted that the figures for Feltham Young Offenders were included in the report as part of Feltham West ward and asked that they be separated out in future reports, if possible.

 

In response to questions from Members, Insp. Mulrooney advised that they were looking to publicise information about the work they had been doing in relation to community engagement. Councillor Khan commented that it was difficult to appreciate the work the police were doing from the statistics and Councillor Mitchell thanked the police for the work they had done to prevent anti-social behaviour at Hunter House.

 

Insp. Mulrooney advised that, when residents had reported anti-social behaviour, they had been able to meet with the owners of the buildings or the housing agents to look at resolving the issues.

69.

Rivers Academy

Decision:

Noted.

Minutes:

Sam Bodley, a member of the PTA at Rivers Academy, advised that the Academy had held a Community Christmas Tea Party on 16 December in the school hall. They had received a small grant of £500 from the Area Forum towards the party and had also been given £500 from another organisation towards the costs.

 

100 local senior citizens had been invited and over 80 people had attended. The guests were waited on by the students, who also did all the catering and had made up gift boxes for the guests to take home. There had been a visit from Santa and guests had enjoyed a sing-a-long, a raffle and a game of bingo.

 

The Chair of the Sheltered Accommodation Resident’s Association had attended the event and had been so impressed by the way that the Tea had brought together senior citizens from the local community that students were now working with the Resident’s Association to produce a newsletter once a term. The tea party would be run annually for the foreseeable future.

 

The Forum thanked Ms Bodley for her presentation.

70.

Civic Pride

Decision:

Noted.

Minutes:

Bridge House Pond - The Chair advised that there had been a clean-up by the Friends of Bridge House Pond and several Members had helped out. There had been two lorry loads of soil and weeds removed and she advised that some people carried out regular litter-picking around the pond.

 

Fly-tipping - In Rosemead some fly-tipping had been cleared by the Council. They had identified where it had come from and had put up a temporary block. They were looking to put a gate at the alley to prevent further fly-tipping.

 

Freddie Mercury - Councillor Khan advised that they would be looking for volunteers to help in putting together an event to commemorate Freddie Mercury.

 

Councillor Chatt commented that there had been plans many years ago to christen the bridge on Harlington Road in honour of Freddie Mercury, but it had failed at the time because it needed approval by the Council as a whole. He welcomed the opportunity for Freddie Mercury to be recognised.

 

The Chair advised that there would be something key in the regeneration to recognise Freddie Mercury and a small music event which, if successful, could be an annual event. They were looking for a professional band and for local people to audition to support.

71.

Neighbourhood Enforcement - Gerry McCarthy

Decision:

Noted.

Minutes:

Gerry McCarthy, Head of Enforcement, made the presentation.

 

In response to questions, Mr McCarthy advised that they did have powers to enforce on private land but needed evidence regarding who had dumped the rubbish, otherwise, the responsibility lay with the land owner.  They had tried blocks to prevent dumping in private alleyways, but the alleyways were ultimately the responsibility of those using them.

 

The footway parking charge was £80, reduced to £65 if paid in 10 days. Not all of the charges were standard, but they were all set out in law. The Council could use its discretion to reduce the charge if it was paid early.

 

Councillor Foote commented that there had been some notable successes since the new approach to enforcement had started operating. A number of front gardens had been cleared on first notice before a second notice was issued with a fine.

 

Members welcomed the flexibility being shown by the team and asked Mr McCarthy keep the Forum informed of the work being done.

72.

Bedfont Road Cycling Improvement Scheme pdf icon PDF 115 KB

Additional documents:

Decision:

It was noted that Finance and Legal comments had now been received. Members raised the following points:

·       There were concerns about a shared pedestrian and cycle route because Members felt that pedestrians were not using the route because cyclists were riding on the footway.

·       Members also felt that cyclists were not safe using the road.

·       Members asked officers to consider the installation of bus shelters along the road.

·       There were some concerns about safety at a proposed crossing at Wooldridge Close because there was a large number of pedestrians there. It was suggested that the crossing be controlled.

Resolved:

The recommendations in the report were agreed.

Minutes:

See report by Jaspal Kharay, Traffic & Transport Officer (agenda item 10)

 

Jas Kharay presented the report and confirmed that that legal and finance comments for the report had now been received.

 

In response to questions, Mr Kharay Jas advised that there were different hierarchies for cycle and pedestrian routes. There were not many pedestrians and they had, therefore, decided that a shared space would be safe enough. Cyclists preferred joined-up routes, which was why they were trying to keep it to one route and if they segregated the route, it would still be built the same. Widening the bridge was not an option because of the very high cost, but they could look at installing bus shelters.

 

Members raised the following points:

 

·       There were concerns about a shared pedestrian and cycle route because Members felt that pedestrians were not using the route because cyclists were riding on the footway.

·       Members also felt that cyclists were not safe using the road.

·       Members asked officers to consider the installation of bus shelters along the road.

·       There were some concerns about safety at a proposed crossing at Wooldridge Close because there was a large number of pedestrians there. It was suggested that the crossing be controlled.

 

It was an outline proposal and Mr Kharay advised that Members’ comments and suggestions would be taken forward as options to consider.

 

Resolved:

 

a)    That the Area Forum notes the informal consultation carried out on the Bedfont Road Cycling Improvements.

b)    That the Area Forum delegates authority to the Director of REDe to authorise officers to progress the detailed design and to undertake statutory consultation on proposed cycling improvements as set out in the report and Appendix A on the Bedfont Road, between Chertsey Road and Clockhouse Roundabout.

c)     That the Area Forum delegates authority to the Director for REDe to authorise officers to resolve, where possible, any objections received to the statutory consultation.

d)    That, in the event of any objections remaining unresolved, the Area Forum delegates authority to the Chair of the Forum to determine these objections in consultation with Ward Councillors.

e)    That the Area Forum delegates authority to the Director of REDe to authorise officers to implement the scheme once members determine to confirm the Traffic Management Order.

73.

Residents Parking only on Staines Road, Bedfont pdf icon PDF 114 KB

Decision:

Resolved:

·       The recommendations in the report were agreed.

·       It was agreed that Members in the two affected wards would be kept informed of progress.

 

Minutes:

See report by Amarpal Soor, Team Leader, Parking Management (agenda item 11)

 

The site was on the boundary of two wards and the Chair asked officers to keep all six Members informed of progress.

 

Resolved:

 

a)    That the petition be noted.

b)    That officers conduct an informal consultation on the introduction of parking controls with residents and businesses on both sides of Staines Road, Bedfont, between Bedfont Lane and Cassiobury Road and the responses of this consultation be presented back to a future meeting of this Area Forum.

c)     It was agreed that Members in the two affected wards would be kept informed of progress.

d)    That the lead petitioner be notified of this Forum’s decision.

 

74.

Electric Vehicle Charging Infrastructure pdf icon PDF 214 KB

Decision:

Members had some concerns that there may be conflict between those using electric cars and residents wanting more parking. There were also some concerns about the potential for pedestrians to trip over the cable when electric cars were being charged from lamp columns in the street. Mr Edwards confirmed that the current charge points were in Hanworth Air Parcs Leisure Centre and New Road Car Park.

Resolved:

The recommendations in the report were agreed.

Minutes:

See report by Kieran Taylor, Principal Transport Planner (agenda item 12)

 

Greg Edwards, Transport Officer, presented the report and confirmed that the current charge points were in Hanworth Air Parcs Leisure Centre and New Road Car Park.

 

Members had some concerns that there may be conflict between those using electric cars and residents wanting more parking. There were also concerns about the potential for pedestrians to trip over the cable when electric cars were being charged from lamp columns in the street.

 

Resolved:

 

a)    Members noted that the Source London charging network is under new ownership. The new owners (BPL) are seeking to increase the number of charge points in the Borough and officers welcome ideas on where these should be.

b)    Members noted that the Borough had received funding from TfL to trial new EV charge points, which can be retrofitted into lamp columns.

c)     Members approved, in principle, the installation of EV sockets in lamp columns, to serve residents with no off-street parking and associated advisory bay markings.

75.

Small Grants pdf icon PDF 126 KB

Additional documents:

Decision:

Resolved:

a)    A grant of £500 to Feltham Food Bank be approved.

b)    A grant of £500 to Churches together be approved.

c)     A grant of £380 to Cultural Community Solutions Arts & Events Team be refused.

d)    A grant of £50 to fund a resident’s meeting at St Giles be approved.

e)    A grant of £375 to Feltham History Society be approved.

f)      A grant of £100 to Friends of Bridge House Pond be approved.

g)    A grant of £100 to Nepalese Ladies Community be approved.

h)    A grant of £100 to Hounslow Janahanda Foundation be approved.

i)       Two grants of £165 & £380 to St Dunstan’s Church be approved.

j)      A grant of £375 to The Rotary Club be approved.

k)     A grant of £500 to The Althuta Dassana Buddist Centre be refused.

Minutes:

See report by Aine Hayes, Third Sector Partnerships (agenda item 13)

 

Kate Tomkinson, Area Participation Officer, presented the report and advised that there were four items on the agenda before the deadline. There was £2715 to spend and potentially, a reserve list if there was any underspend.

 

Councillor Chatt advised that he was disappointed that the Sparrow Farm application had been withdrawn. A grant had been given to help with the ceiling falling in and they wished to remove the debris.

 

Ms Tomkinson advised that Sparrow Farm had been flagged up when a report had been made to Community Partnerships. The Council were in discussions about the breach of the lease. There had been little community use for some time, but the reason they gave was to fund an ice machine. They were not insured and there was an issue around the Council funding work, which was not insured. She understood that Peter Matthew, the Assistant Director of Housing, Leisure and Public Health  would work with the group to take it forward, but it was not currently considered as appropriate.

 

Resolved:

 

a)    A grant of £500 to Feltham Food Bank be approved.

b)    A grant of £500 to Churches together be approved.

c)     A grant of £380 to Cultural Community Solutions Arts & Events Team be refused.

d)    A grant of £50 to fund a resident’s meeting at St Giles be approved.

e)    A grant of £375 to Feltham History Society be approved.

f)      A grant of £100 to Friends of Bridge House Pond be approved.

g)    A grant of £100 to Nepalese Ladies Community be approved.

h)    A grant of £100 to Hounslow Janahanda Foundation be approved.

i)       Two grants of £165 & £380 to St Dunstan’s Church be approved.

j)      A grant of £375 to The Rotary Club be approved.

k)     A grant of £500 to The Althuta Dassana Buddist Centre be refused.

76.

Items for Future Meetings

Decision:

It was noted earlier in the meeting that there would be a public meeting on 21 July 2016.

Minutes:

It was noted earlier in the meeting that there would be a public meeting on 21 July 2016.

77.

Date of next meeting is 19 May 2016

Minutes:

The date of the next meeting was noted.

78.

Any other business

Any business which the Chair agrees to accept on grounds of urgency.

Minutes:

The Chair advised that the Registry Office was moving to Feltham Lodge. Members would receive an invitation to the opening event.