Hounslow Council


Agenda and minutes

Venue: Council Chamber, Civic Centre, Lampton Road, Hounslow. View directions

Contact: Bill Lee on 020 8583 2068 or email  william.lee@hounslow.gov.uk or  CHAF@hounslow.gov.uk 

Items
No. Item

17.

Apologies for Absence, Declarations of Interest and any other Communications from Members

Minutes:

Apologies for absence were received from Cllrs Ajmer Grewal (on Mayoral business) and Nisar Malik.

18.

Police Reports pdf icon PDF 5 KB

Presented by Insp Jonathan Shard

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Please see agenda item 3 for the reports. Inspector Jonathan Shard made the presentation and answered questions from Members.

 

The main concerns for specific Wards were:

 

Central Hounslow   -    Anti-social behaviour (ASB) and drug dealing in the Kingsley Road/North Drive area.  Insp Shard recommended that Councillors should speak to Ward Sergeants with a view to potentially creating a Public Space Protection Order (PSPO). Members would need to specify a location and the police would supply information on ASB and offences to enable the PSPO to be established. Once in place officers would be able to disperse people and possibly make arrests for activities where it might otherwise not be possible without the PSPO.

 

Hounslow Heath – Drug dealing and ASB around Frampton Road and access roads to Hounslow Heath and large vehicles/trailers being parked in the evenings causing obstructions. Police were unable to deal with parking issues which were a matter for enforcement officers but would look into allegations of drug dealing.  

 

Hounslow South – ASB and possible drug dealing, with a PSPO mooted as a possible solution.         

 

Hounslow West – Members wished to see a return of police cycle patrols; Insp Shard advised that a large number of bicycles were awaiting servicing.

There was a call for police reports to be presented consistently as West figures were set out differently, making interpretation and comparison difficult.

 

Members noted the reports and Insp Shard advised that dates and times for Ward Panels could be found on the Safer Neighbourhoods website. He acknowledged the difficulties caused by clashes of dates with other Council meetings.

19.

Minutes of the meeting held on 30 June 2016 pdf icon PDF 293 KB

Minutes:

The minutes of the meeting of 30 June 2016 were agreed to be an accurate record and signed.

There were no matters arising.

20.

Planning Application Call-in pdf icon PDF 206 KB

Planning application for 527-529 Staines Road, Hounslow, TW4 5DZ called in by Cllr Jagdish Sharma.

Minutes:

Cllr Jagdish Sharma advised that he had called in the planning application for the following reasons:

 

1.    The residents of Cardington square had objected as the proposal would overlook their properties and was out of character with the local area.

 

2.    Traffic on Staines Road was already bad and would be made worse if this development went ahead.

 

3.    Pollution, confirmed by council's own data, would worsen.

 

4.    Lack of parking was an issue.

 

5.    There was no parking provision for visitors and tradesmen.

 

6.    The position of the rear building provided space for further development in future.

 

7.    Access from Cardington Square may be contested once the new development is completed.

 

8.    Thames Water land was already used for parking by visitors to the Islamic Integration Community Centre. It will work in favour of new residents on the proposed site.

 

9.    Local children would disadvantaged from getting a place in the very popular Heathland School as the proposed development was close to the school.

 

 

Members and local residents spoke in support of Cllr Sharma’s objections, with particular regard to parking issues. Concerns were expressed about a possible lack of consultation with the Islamic Integration Community Centre and Hindu Temple nearby. The Chair advised that officers had not yet produced a recommendation.

 

Cllr Bob Whatley felt that the Area Forum should not decide whether to send the application to Planning Committee or to Officers’ Delegated Decision at the meeting but that the officer’s recommendation should be sent to Cllr Sharma as soon as it was produced. Cllr Whatley moved that the application should be sent to Planning Committee if Cllr Sharma was not happy with the recommendation. Cllr Corinna Smart seconded the motion which was agreed unanimously.

 

Resolved:

 

That Cllr Sharma should be presented with the officer’s recommendation once produced. If he was not satisfied with the recommendation the application shall be referred to the Planning Committee. If Cllr Sharma is satisfied then the matter shall be made an Officer Delegated Decision.

 

21.

Hatton Cemetery Flooding and Muslim Burial Issues pdf icon PDF 217 KB

Presented by Stefania Horne

Minutes:

Please see the document (agenda item 3).

 

The item was presented by Stefania Horne, Head of Parks, REDe.

 

Members noted the presentation and asked for communications to be improved, as families had sometimes called before 11:00, which should enable a burial to take place the same day, only for the call to go unanswered until later. In these cases, although the burial would still take place within 24 hours it would not be carried out until the following day. Ms Horne advised that she would pass on concerns to Carillion. It was confirmed that adjacent land could be made available to expand the area available for burials if funding was found. Members called for officers to be mindful of issues regarding potential flooding of the cemetery should development of surrounding land take place.

22.

Consultation Advisory Panel pdf icon PDF 152 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Please see the report by Laura James (agenda item 5)

 

Area Participation Officer Joan Conlon presented the report.

 

Cllr Corinna Smart moved that the Area Forum Vice-Chair, Cllr Shaida Mehrban, be appointed to sit on the Consultation Advisory Panel. Cllr Pritam Grewal seconded the motion, which was agreed unanimously.

 

Resolved:

 

That Cllr Shaida Mehrban be appointed to sit on the Consultation Advisory Panel.

23.

Open Forum for Questions from the Public (Maximum of 30 Minutes)

Minutes:

Residents of Cardington Square advised that number 237 buses continued to park at the junction with Barrack Road and cause an obstruction, which had been raised at the 13 November 2014 meeting of CHAF, where it had been stated that Mark Frost would investigate. Nothing further had been heard. Members noted this matter and stated that an answer would be requested. The residents also expressed concerns regarding the failure to resurface footpaths which should have been carried out in June 2016. Melanie Gadd agreed to look into the issue. (The following response was later received from the Traffic & Transport team to be placed in the minutes):

 

We are working on an alternative bus terminus for the 237 as part of a proposal for a development at the Hounslow Heath golf club.  That development was not granted consent.  As a consequence there is currently no other feasible location for a stand for this service. We have requested further enforcement action of existing waiting restrictions at this location.

 

Mr John Cooper asked how older residents without mobile phones would be able to pay for parking if the proposed cashless policy was pursued. Members noted his concern.

 

Cllr Mukesh Malhotra raised the lack of response to queries regarding roadworks in Midsummer Avenue and Staines Road and the serious problems caused by the unblocking of sewers that had been filled with concrete during building work. He called for officers to liaise with planning, traffic and building control teams. Cllr Malhotra also asked why there seemed to be no enforcement of restrictions on the parking of vehicles in excess of 5 tonnes. Members noted the matter and asked Cllr Malhotra to forward an email to the clerk.

24.

Exam/Education Update

Presentation by Cllr Tom Bruce

Minutes:

Cllr Tom Bruce, Cabinet Member for Education and Children’s Services, gave a verbal update on exam attainment in the Borough’s schools.

 

In response to questions from Members Cllr Bruce advised that Hounslow’s primary schools were the fifth best in the UK and 93% were classed as ‘good’ or ‘outstanding’ as were 88% of the Borough’s secondary schools. Members noted the presentation and congratulated the schools on their achievements.

25.

GP Provision pdf icon PDF 118 KB

Presentation by Sue Jeffers

Minutes:

Please see accompanying slides (agenda item 9).

 

The presentation was given by Sue Jeffers, Managing Director of Hounslow Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG). Ms Jeffers advised that patient perception of GP services in the Borough had improved over the previous few years and was now at the London average, whereas it had earlier been below. She conceded that London services, along with those of other major cities, fell below that of small towns and rural areas. Some Hounslow GPs were very highly rated and others very poorly but most were around the average. The CCG was currently assisting practices to reduce non-attendance for appointments and were about to implement an audit into demand on GP time and capacity and its management.

 

A great deal of work was being carried out by the CCG to improve communications and patient record transfer which was currently reliant on paper and was a very dated system. There were still many smaller GP practices which often (but not always) had inferior IT systems but Ms Jeffers noted that improvements to IT systems had taken place across the board. She felt that smaller practices would however struggle to stay up to speed with future developments. 

 

26.

Temporary Arrangements at Space Waye pdf icon PDF 141 KB

Presentation by Cllr Amrit Mann and Cindy Gardener.

Minutes:

Please see the slides (agenda item 10).

 

The presentation was made by Melanie Gadd, Head of Environmental Services & Contract Management. Members noted the presentation and asked if any action could be taken regarding the lack of cooperation from LB Hillingdon. Cllr Amrit Mann advised that there was not and as a result Hounslow were unwilling to send residents to Hillingdon with recycling. Members expressed concern at the level of traffic congestion which made site access very difficult and time consuming, a matter that was greatly exacerbated by the number of large trailers that were routinely parked along the route. Cllr Mann said that the matter would be examined but he felt confident that changes being introduced would allow a large number of cars to access the site and unload much quicker.

 

27.

Bring Sites

Presentation by Cindy Gardener

Minutes:

The presentation was made by Melanie Gadd, Head of Environmental Services & Contract Management. She advised that one site, at Hounslow Heath, was within the Central Hounslow area. A review had been conducted and Members’ views on the future of the site were being sought. Views expressed by residents varied between those who felt it was very useful and those who felt the site was instead a magnet for flytippers. The site had been established before recycling was properly established and now every household had its own recycling collection from the Council. The majority of Bring sites were contaminated by incorrect waste disposal and so recycling could not be collected from them; Bedfont Feltham, Hanworth Area Forum had voted to remove their sites as a result.

 

Members felt that flytipping would continue even if the site were removed and so as long as it was still being used it should remain. Ms Gadd advised that the site should be emptied when 75% full but unfortunately it was always contaminated and so had to be emptied with landfill. Members noted the presentation and agreed unanimously to meet with Ms Gadd and discuss the matter further.

28.

Any other business the Chair wishes to take on the grounds of urgency.

Minutes:

Cllr Colin Ellar stated that the footpaths at Bell Corner had been dug up again shortly after resurfacing work had been completed and an ugly tarmac scar had been left in place of the correct block paving. Cllr Mukesh Malhotra advised that the same problem occurred in his ward including within a conservation area where the tarmac had been in place for over a year. Hounslow Highways could not be engaged on the matter.

 

Area Participation Officer Joan Conlon stated that two Community Grants of £500 each were available until 28 September and that the Hounslow Community Grant closed on 19 September.

 

The Chair advised that discussions had been held with Comms and Carillion to ensure that events were publicised sooner in future; she invited Members to highlight any events they wished.

29.

Protocol for Speaking

 

i)             Members of the public or applicants should contact the Committee Administrator, Bill Lee, on 020 8583 2068 with details of the proposed submission as soon as practicable and no later than two working days before the meeting.  The Chair will decide whether or not to grant the request to speak and notification will be given of the decision.

ii)            For all highways matters, if there are members of the public with opposing views regarding the proposal the chair will allow both sides to speak. Generally, speakers will only be allowed to speak on issues where funding is available.

iii)           Each party will be given no more than 5 minutes to speak.  The time allotted could be reduced if, for example, the chair wishes to accommodate several speakers on the same item.

iv)           The Area Committee will consider submissions on up to 3 items per meeting.

v)            Written submissions should be made to the Committee Administrator no later than 4pm on the day of the meeting. 

 

30.

The date of the next scheduled meeting is 10 November 2016