Hounslow Council


Agenda, decisions and minutes

Venue: Committee Rooms 1 & 2, Civic Centre, Lampton Road, Hounslow

Contact: Irene Bowles, email  irene.bowles@hounslow.gov.uk, telephone 020 8583 2075 

Items
No. Item

1.

Appointment of Chair of the Area Forum

Decision:

Resolved:

To appoint Councillor Harleen Atwal Hear as Chair of the Committee for the 2016/17 Municipal year.

 

 

Minutes:

The Appointment of Councillor Harleen Atwal Hear, as agreed at Borough Council on 24 May 2016, was ratified by Members.

 

Councillor Mann proposed the appointment, which was seconded by Councillor Rajawat.  The appointment was unanimously agreed.

 

 

 

Resolved:

To appoint Councillor Harleen Atwal Hear as Chair of the Committee for the 2016/17 Municipal year.

 

 

2.

Municipal Business pdf icon PDF 239 KB

Additional documents:

Decision:

Resolved:

1,         That Councillor Sukhbir Dhaliwal be confirmed as Vice Chair of the Area Forum for the Municipal Year 2016/17.

 

2.         That Councillor Shantanu Rajawat should liaise with Councillor  Kamiljit Kaur, and that one of them would be appointed as the Area Forum representative on the Community Investment Advisory Panel. This will be confirmed at the July 2016 meeting.

Minutes:

Resolved:

1.         That Councillor Sukhbir Dhaliwal be confirmed as Vice Chair of the Area Forum for the Municipal Year 2016/17.

 

2.         That Councillor Shantanu Rajawat should liaise with Councillor  Kamiljit Kaur, and that one of them would be appointed as the Area Forum representative on the Community Investment Advisory Panel. This will be confirmed at the July 2016 meeting.

 

3.

Terms of Reference pdf icon PDF 111 KB

As this is the first meeting of the municipal year, members are asked to note the Terms of Reference document, as confirmed at Borough Council on 24 May 2016.

Decision:

Members noted the Terms of Reference document for the Area Forum, as confirmed at Borough Council on 24 May 2016.

Minutes:

Members noted the Terms of Reference document for the Area Forum, as confirmed at Borough Council on 24 May 2016.

4.

Apologies for Absence, Declarations of Interest or any other Communications from Members

Decision:

Apologies for Absence

Apologies for absence had been received from Councillors Lily Bath and  Kamiljit Kaur.

 

Declarations of Interest

Councillr Amrit Mann declared an interest in both items 8.1 and 8.2 on the Agenda (Petitions on Crosslands Avenue and the Redwood Estate), and left the meeting whilst those items were discussed.

Minutes:

Apologies for Absence

Apologies for absence had been received from Councillors Lily Bath and  Kamiljit Kaur.

 

Declarations of Interest

Councillr Amrit Mann declared an interest in both items 8.1 and 8.2 on the Agenda (Petitions on Crosslands Avenue and the Redwood Estate), and left the meeting whilst those items were discussed.

5.

Police Report - Ed Pigot pdf icon PDF 13 KB

Decision:

Sgt Ed Pigot led Members through his report and answered questions raised.

 

Resolved that:

 

1.    The breakdown of crime statistics in the future would be split into residential and business sectors;

2.    Senior Police Officers would be asked by Sgt Pigot why knife amnesty containers were not placed in Isleworth, where serious stabbings had occurred;

3.    That the police would investigate the sale of knives at Hounslow West market.

Minutes:

Sgt Ed Pigot led Members through his report and answered questions raised.

 

Members discussed:

Ø  Burglaries and theft;

Ø  The use of Heston Services as a quick get-away route for criminals;

Ø  CCTV;

Ø  Knife crime, sales of knives, amnesty bins.

 

Resolved that:

 

1.    The breakdown of crime statistics in the future would be split into residential and business sectors;

2.    Senior Police Officers would be asked by Sgt Pigot why knife amnesty containers were not placed in Isleworth, where serious stabbings had occurred;

3.    That the police would investigate the sale of knives at Hounslow West market.

6.

Revising Hounslow's Housing Allocations Policy - Consultation - Ben Tomlinson pdf icon PDF 167 KB

Minutes:

Ben Tomlinson led Members through a presentation on revising Hounslow’s Housing Allocations Policy (attached to the Agenda pack at Item 6), and answered questions raised.

 

Members noted that the Policy would be taken to Cabinet in the Autumn 2016, following the consulation process.

7.

Minutes of the meeting held on 3 March 2016 pdf icon PDF 148 KB

Decision:

The minutes of the meeting held on 3 March 2016 were agreed as a true and accurate record, and were signed by the Chair.

Minutes:

The minutes of the meeting held on 3 March 2016 were agreed as a true and accurate record, and were signed by the Chair.

8.

Matters arising from the minutes pdf icon PDF 103 KB

a)    Community Action Day

b)    Avenue Gardens, Cranford

c)    Henlys Alley

 

Updates on the above items are attached.

Decision:

a)    Item 134, point 6 – Police Report; sale of knives

Inspector Hall had agreed to provide figures for the Hounslow day of Operation Sceptre (to tackle knife crime) to Councillor Virdi.  This had not yet been received.

 

b)   Item 141 – Small Grant Application

The Chair confirmed that she had received reassurance on the points raised by Members.

 

c)    Item 136(e) – Spring Clean-up on Henlys Alley

Members recorded their thanks to the work carried out by Hounslow Highways staff and one resident.

 

d)  Item 136(e) – Henlys Alley and other similar places across the Borough

Melanie Gadd  confirmed that she was in the process of identifying the pockets of land across the Borough that had been omitted from the Hounslow Highways contract, with a view to ascertaining owners and budgets.  She agreed to return to a future Area Forum meeting to update Members.

Minutes:

a)    Item 134, point 6 – Police Report; sale of knives

Inspector Hall had agreed to provide figures for the Hounslow day of Operation Sceptre (to tackle knife crime) to Councillor Virdi.  This had not yet been received.

 

b)   Item 141 – Small Grant Application

The Chair confirmed that she had received reassurance on the points raised by Members.

 

c)    Item 136(e) – Spring Clean-up on Henlys Alley

Members recorded their thanks to the work carried out by Hounslow Highways staff and one resident.

 

d)  Item 136(e) – Henlys Alley and other similar places across the Borough

Melanie Gadd  confirmed that she was in the process of identifying the pockets of land across the Borough that had been omitted from the Hounslow Highways contract, with a view to ascertaining owners and budgets.  She agreed to return to a future Area Forum meeting to update Members.

 

Members noted that the cost of installing lighting along the length of Henlys Alley was very high; with the substantial budget cuts that the Council was facing, it was very unlikely that there would be any change to the current position.

9.

Petitions

10.

Petition to restrict parking outside Costcutter store, Crosslands Avenue - Update - Gareth James pdf icon PDF 208 KB

Additional documents:

Decision:

Councillor Mann left the meeting.

 

Resolved that:

Members agreed that the implementation of parking controls outside the parade of shops in Crosslands Avenue, Heston should proceed, with the modified times proposed by Officers as follows:

Limited waiting parking bays (20 minute maximum stay, no return within one hour), operational Monday to Friday, 08.30 to 18.30.

Minutes:

Councillor Mann left the meeting.

 

Gareth James explained the process followed on the petition, and outlined the recommendations of officers.  Members noted the concessions made, following consultation, to the original proposals and agreed to accept the recommendations.

 

Resolved that:

Members agreed that the implementation of parking controls outside the parade of shops in Crosslands Avenue, Heston should proceed, with the modified times proposed by Officers as follows:

Limited waiting parking bays (20 minute maximum stay, no return within one hour), operational Monday to Friday, 08.30 to 18.30.

11.

Update on Petition requesting play equipment for the Redwood Estate - Kim Mitchell pdf icon PDF 192 KB

Decision:

Resolved:

1.    To note that the petition received at the Area Forum meeting in March 2016 had been passed to Officers for investigation;

2.    Although Officers had advised that there was sufficient play equipment in the locality of the Redwood Estate, and that no budget was available to increase the provision, Members wished this matter to be pursued further, and asked that consideration be given to the use of S106 monies;

3.    Officers should undertake further consultation on the provision of equipment for children aged 8+, and investigate further the demographics of the Estate;

4.    Officers would cost potential equipment (which they advised is expensive) and bring the results of the consultation back to a future Area Forum;

5.    That the Lead Petitioner would be advised of the outcome of this.

 

Councillor Mann returned to the meeting.

Minutes:

Members heard the recommendations from the Housing Department, who believed that provision was adequate in the area.  Ms Mitchell advised that there was a maintenance budget for play equipment, but no available funds to purchase new equipment.  Members wished the matter to be pursued further, using S106 monies if possible.

 

Resolved:

1.    To note that the petition received at the Area Forum meeting in March 2016 had been passed to Officers for investigation;

2.    Although Officers had advised that there was sufficient play equipment in the locality of the Redwood Estate, and that no budget was available to increase the provision, Members wished this matter to be pursued further, and asked that consideration be given to the use of S106 monies;

3.    Officers should undertake further consultation on the provision of equipment for children aged 8+, and investigate further the demographics of the Estate;

4.    Officers would cost potential equipment (which they advised is expensive) and bring the results of the consultation back to a future Area Forum;

5.    That the Lead Petitioner would be advised of the outcome of this.

 

Councillor Mann returned to the meeting.

12.

Update on Household and Garden Waste - Melanie Gadd pdf icon PDF 235 KB

Decision:

In answer to Members’ questions, it was agreed that:

1.            Melanie Gadd would consider how literature on recycling could be made available to residents who had a poor command of the English language;

2.            Members should ensure that any problems with household and garden waste should be put through the Members’ Casework portal;

3.            The results of a future survey at Space Waye re-use and recycling centre, on usage of the facility will be brought to a future Area Forum meeting;

4.            Officers would look at ways to manage addresses where garden waste bins have not been paid for, but are present – there have been reports of bins being moved from one address to another.  Members were assured that bins are only collected from addresses where the subscription fee has been paid.

 

Minutes:

Melanie Gadd explained the new structure of the Environmental Services & Contract Management team, which encompassed parking controls and commissioning, waste and recycling.  She led Members through her report (attached to the Agenda pack at item 12), and answered questions raised.

 

In answer to Members’ questions, it was agreed that:

1.            Melanie Gadd would consider how literature on recycling could be made available to residents who had a poor command of the English language;

2.            Member should ensure that any problems with household and garden waste are put through the Members’ Casework portal;

3.            The results of a future survey at Space Waye re-use and recycling centre on usage of the facility will be brought to a future Area Forum meeting;

4.            Officers would look at ways to manage addresses where garden waste bins have not been paid for, but are present – there have been reports of bins being moved from one address to another.  Members were assured that bins are only collected from addresses where the subscription fee has been paid.

5.            Rubbish left at parks would be monitored more closely, especially at weekends through the summer.

 

13.

Verbal Update on the Waste Depot, Southall - Bob Seera pdf icon PDF 747 KB

Decision:

In response to questions following the presentation given by Bob Seera and Firas Witwit, it was resolved that:

 

1.    The Operations Team would be asked to confirm how and where  the vehicles based at the Depot would be re-fuelled.

Minutes:

There was a presentation by Bob Seera and Firas Witwit (attached to item 10 of the Agenda as a supplementary report).

 

In response to questions following the presentation given by Bob Seera and Firas Witwit, it was resolved that:

 

The Operations Team would be asked to confirm how and where the vehicles based at the Depot would be re-fuelled.

Afterminute: Bob Seera advised that he had discussed the fuelling with the Director of Lampton 360 Waste and had been advised that the vehicles will primarily be fuelling at Bridge Road Depot.  In addition, there will be fuel cards issued so that vehicles can refuel across the Borough as and when required.  The options of including fuel at the Southall Lane site are also being explored and this will be subject of a further planning application should it be taken forward.

14.

Verbal Update on The Hermitage

Decision:

Members were advised that a detailed report on the Hermitage would be brought to the July 2016 Area Forum meeting by Planning Officers. 

 

In the meantime, as a short term measure, Building Control would put up gates to prevent access to the site, to protect people from the dangerous structures.

Minutes:

Members were advised that a detailed report on the Hermitage would be brought to the July 2016 Area Forum meeting by Planning Officers. 

 

In the meantime, as a short term measure, Building Control would put up gates to prevent access to the site, to protect people from the dangerous structures.

15.

Open Forum for questions from the public (maximum of 30 minutes)

Protocol:

       Questions will be allowed at the Chair’s discretion.

       The Chair will normally only allow one question per item.

       Items on the main agenda should not be raised in the open forum.

       Individual cases cannot be discussed.

       Items submitted to the Chair in advance of the meeting are welcomed.

Decision:

a)    The Hermitage

A resident requested that a letter she had given to the Clerk be passed to Robert Coomber, Central Area Manager, Planning.

Minutes:

a)    The Hermitage

A resident requested that a letter she had given to the Clerk be passed to Robert Coomber, Central Area Manager, Planning.

16.

Residential Crossovers and Off-Street Parking Policy - Gareth James pdf icon PDF 124 KB

Additional documents:

Decision:

Resolved that:

 

1.    Members noted the consultation on the new crossover and off-street parking policy;

2.    Members would provide any feedback on the proposed policy;

3.    Members noted that Cabinet approval of the new policy would be sought, taking into account all responses to the consultation;

4.    Officers would update Members on the results of the consultation at a future Area Forum meeting.

 

Members asked that:

a)    The inclusion of diagrams be considered to aid understanding;

b)    Realistic and achievable timeframes be included in the policy;

c)    Officers clarify the issue of “grass creep” to Members.

Minutes:

Members received the report, and resolved that:

 

1.    Members noted the consultation on the new crossover and off-street parking policy;

2.    Members would provide any feedback on the proposed policy;

3.    Members noted that Cabinet approval of the new policy would be sought, taking into account all responses to the consultation;

4.    Officers would update Members on the results of the consultation at a future Area Forum meeting.

 

Members asked that:

a)    The inclusion of diagrams be considered to aid understanding;

b)    Realistic and achievable timeframes be included in the policy;

c)    Officers clarify the issue of “grass creep” to Members.

17.

Update on overnight lorry ban - Gareth James

Minutes:

Members had been asked at the March 2016 Area Forum meeting to give feedback where the overnight lorry ban was being consistently abused.  Comments would be reviewed on 6 June 2016, and a programme for enforcement agreed.  Members were asked to continue to give feedback on this issue.

18.

Protocol

i)       Those wishing to address the Area Forum on any of the items listed on the agenda for decision (with the exception of planning applications) should contact the Committee Administrator, Wendy Merry on 020 8583 2061 with details of the proposed submission as soon as practicable and no later than two working days before the meeting. The Chair will decide whether or not to grant the request to speak and notification will be given of the decision.

ii)      For all highways matters, if there are members of the public with opposing views regarding the proposal the Chair will allow both sides to speak. Generally, speakers will only be allowed to speak on issues where funding is available.

iii)     Each party will be given no more than 5 minutes to speak. The time allotted could be reduced if, for example, the Chair wishes to accommodate several speakers on the same item.

v)      The Area Forum will consider submissions on 3 items per meeting.

vi)     Written submissions should be made to the Committee Administrator no later than4pm on the day of the meeting.

 

Important information on planning applications called-in to Area Forum:

 

The Area Forum is no longer the decision making body for planning applications, following changes to the planning procedure agreed at Borough Council on 19 June 2012.

 

Planning applications can be called-in by Members of the Area Forum for the purpose of agreeing whether the application should be decided by officers under delegated powers or by Members at the Planning Committee.

 

Speakers will not be permitted to address the Area Forum on planning applications, but can submit any representations they may have on the particular application to the relevant planning case officer. They can also apply to speak at the Planning Committee, should a report be taken to that meeting for decision.

19.

Date of next scheduled meeting is Thursday 14 July 2016 at 7pm in Committee Rooms 1 and 2

Decision:

The next scheduled meeting will take place at 7pm on Thursday 14 July 2016 in Committee Rooms 1 and 2.

Minutes:

The next scheduled meeting will take place at 7pm on Thursday 14 July 2016 in Committee Rooms 1 and 2.

20.

Any other business, which the Chair considers to be urgent

Minutes:

There were no items of urgent business.