Hounslow Council


Agenda and draft minutes

Venue: Committee Rooms 1 & 2, Civic Centre, Lampton Road, Hounslow. View directions

Contact: Joti Patel, email  joti.patel@hounslow.gov.uk, telephone 020 8583 3356 

Items
No. Item

127.

Apologies for Absence, Declarations of Interest or any other Communications from Members

Minutes:

Apologies for absence were noted from Councillors

 

There were no declarations of interest for items on the agenda.

128.

Police Report pdf icon PDF 272 KB

MOPAC (Mayor’s Office for Policing and Crime) data for crimes can be found at the following website:

https://www.london.gov.uk/What-we-do/mayors-office-policing-and-crime-mopac/data-and-research/crime

 

Ward priorities and promises can be accessed at:

http://content.met.police.uk/Page/TeamFinder?scope_id=1257246764041

 

Minutes:

See the presentation by Inspector Clive Aplin at agenda item 1, page 1

 

In presenting the report Inspector Aplin made the following points:

 

Updated actions from last meeting:

·       The provision of a barrier from the M4 motorway to North Hyde Road/Phoenix Way was in hand. Agreement was reached with MOTO and legal contract signed.  ANPR cameras had been requested.

·       ASB around Travelodge in Cranford was largely down to children on school holidays and was an on/off issue every year.  Officers were engaging with Cranford Community College staff to help reduce ASB around Travelodge.

·       Heston East knife crimes by M4 ongoing.  Looking to get funding for CCTV but budgets are tight.

·       Calendars had been synchronised to allow Councillors to attend local meetings and the dates published online.

·       The incident raised by Councillor Virdi had been investigated and no further action required.

·       There was no further information regarding the death of a child by M4/A4.

 

Inspector Aplin reviewed aspects of the report by Ward:

·       The increase in burglaries in Heston West was one offender who was responsible for 10 offences.  There was not enough evidence to charge for the other 6.

·       Overall criminal damage was low but there had been issues in Hounslow West/Heston in August due to children on holiday from school.

·       The rise in drugs crime was a sign of effective policing in the community.

·       There was no particular pattern to the rise in violence/injury and mostly related to daytime related domestic violence and not random attacks.

·       There was not a big issue in the Borough with robberies and the spike in Cranford and Heston West was down to increased reporting online of low level crimes of which most were closed immediately after provision of a crime reference number to claim from insurance.

·       The level of crime from May 2016 to 2017 had reduced 5% and hit peaks and troughs consistent with last year.  The Community teams were working incredibly hard to reduce the level of crime in the community.

 

In response to questions Inspector Aplin gave the following information:

 

·       Heston West tended to have higher figures due to crimes committed along the M4/Heston Services and the team worked incredibly hard to reduce the level of crime in the Area.

·       There were no figures to hand available on the number of prosecutions and where no action was taken but due to tight constraints low level crimes were not recorded or investigated.  Work to reduce theft and handling included the role out of smart water, high visibility patrols and crime prevention leaflets in hot spot areas.  This would eventually be rolled out to all areas in wards and the Cluster.

·       That the figures for theft and handling in Heston East and Heston West was higher has it included hotel outlets and the service station.  On request Inspector Aplin agreed to separate figures from commercial outlets and domestic properties.

·       Councillors and Residents could help reduce crimes by ensuring windows are locked, be aware of surroundings when using mobile phone.  Criminal damage could  ...  view the full minutes text for item 128.

129.

Minutes of the meeting held on 21st September 2017 pdf icon PDF 146 KB

Minutes:

The minutes of the meeting held on 21st September 2017 were agreed a accurate and signed by the Chair.

 

Matters arising:

 

Space Way Recycling Centre would open by 18th December 2017 and the planned closure for 2 weekends would be extensively communicated to residents through a variety of channels.

130.

Petitions

Update for Burns Way Petition

Minutes:

No new petitions were presented at the meeting.

131.

Open Forum for questions from the public (maximum of 30 minutes)

Protocol:

       Questions will be allowed at the Chair’s discretion.

       The Chair will normally only allow one question per item.

       Items on the main agenda should not be raised in the open forum.

       Individual cases cannot be discussed.

       Items submitted to the Chair in advance of the meeting are welcomed.

Minutes:

Burns Way Petition

 

Gareth James announced that there would be detailed report presented at the January 2018 meeting which would also address the issues raised in the recent petition submitted by residents.  The Chair and Members noted the disappointment and frustration expressed by residents at the lack of action in solving their concerns.

 

The Hermitage

 

The Chair noted Mr Blackett’s concerns about the lack of progress since the September meeting where an action plan had been agreed to resolve this issue.

 

Recycling

 

Mr Blackett asked for an update on achieving the recycling target of 50% and Councillor Mann gave an overview on progress and issues to be resolved to achieve the target set.  He also confirmed that recycling figures would be available on the Council website as the more information was.  He confirmed that plastic wrappers and bags were not currently accepted at the kerbside as not all plastic could be recycled and that customers were encouraged to use the food waste bin to recycle food waste.  He said that since the change to waste collection 6000 caddies had been issued and there was an increase in requests for food waste bins.

132.

Report_Future Borough Strategy Engagement pdf icon PDF 295 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

See the report and appendices at agenda item 6, page 15

 

Dr Michael Edley, Policy and Scrutiny Officer, gave a presentation outlining the consultation strategy to engage residents views on what Hounslow should look like in 2035.

 

The presentation highlighted the engagement and consultation programme to be undertaken to refresh the Borough Strategy by April 2018 including Area based workshops and other consultation methods. The presenter also noted further suggestions from Members and residents to ensure a broad consultation.

 

Resolved:

 

To note the presentation and report

 

 

 

 

133.

Walnut Tree Road Update pdf icon PDF 58 KB

Minutes:

Gareth James tabled a report updating residents on action taken to resolve concerns raised and included a carriageway condition report from Hounslow Highways.

 

Issues arising from lorries driving along the road to the Builders Merchant were highlighted by Mr Blackett which remained unresolved.

 

Action:  Councillor Kaur and Gareth James will contact the owner of the Builders Merchant to mediate a solution to the problems caused along Walnut Tree Road by lorries.

 

Resolved:

 

To note the report

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

134.

Phoenix Way update

Minutes:

Gareth James announced that the ANPR for Phoenix Way would hopefully be in place by February 2018 and he would provide a further update at the March meeting.

 

Resolved:

 

To note the update.

 

135.

Lampton Road Bus Stop update

Minutes:

Gareth James announced that funding was available to put a stop on both sides of the road and a purchase order had been raised.  He will know by January 2018 when the stops will be put in place.

 

A resident asked where the stops would be located and he said he would find out the details and report in the next update.

 

Resolved:

 

To note the update.

136.

Invitation to Cranford Lock-Up launch 6 December 2017 pdf icon PDF 1 MB

Minutes:

Gareth James invited Members and Residents to the launch of the newly restored Cranford Lock up on Wednesday 6th December 2017 and handed out flyers for the event.

 

Councillor Virdi commented that the restoration was done very well and acknowledged thanks to Gareth and the Team for the work done.

 

Resolved:

 

To note the update.

137.

Heston Park update

Minutes:

An update from the Chair was noted.

 

 

138.

Protocol

i)      Those wishing to address the Area Forum on any of the items listed on the agenda for decision (with the exception of planning applications) should contact the Committee Administrator, Irene Bowles on 020 8583 2075 with details of the proposed submission as soon as practicable and no later than two working days before the meeting. The Chair will decide whether or not to grant the request to speak and notification will be given of the decision.

ii)     For all highways matters, if there are members of the public with opposing views regarding the proposal the Chair will allow both sides to speak. Generally, speakers will only be allowed to speak on issues where funding is available.

iii)    Each party will be given no more than 5 minutes to speak. The time allotted could be reduced if, for example, the Chair wishes to accommodate several speakers on the same item.

v)     The Area Forum will consider submissions on 3 items per meeting.

vi)    Written submissions should be made to the Committee Administrator no later than4pm on the day of the meeting.

 

Important information on planning applications called-in to Area Forum:

 

The Area Forum is no longer the decision making body for planning applications, following changes to the planning procedure agreed at Borough Council on 19 June 2012.

 

Planning applications can be called-in by Members of the Area Forum for the purpose of agreeing whether the application should be decided by officers under delegated powers or by Members at the Planning Committee.

 

Speakers will not be permitted to address the Area Forum on planning applications, but can submit any representations they may have on the particular application to the relevant planning case officer. They can also apply to speak at the Planning Committee, should a report be taken to that meeting for decision.

139.

Date of next scheduled meeting is 25th January 2018

Minutes:

The date of the next meeting was confirmed.

140.

Any other business, which the Chair considers to be urgent

Minutes:

Councillor Lily Bath raised concerns about Kings Arbour which was overgrown and needed a deep clean.  The last time this issue was raised the area had been cleaned.  She asked that the issue is raised with the relevant responsible party to tidy the area.

Action:  GJ will find out who is responsible for maintaining the land and request a clean up.

 

Gareth James updated Members and residents on the new parking fees structure for Leisure centres across the Borough.