Hounslow Council


Agenda and minutes

Venue: The Hogarth Hall, Chiswick Town Hall

Contact: Chaspal Sandhu on 020 8583 2065 or at Email: CAF@hounslow.gov.uk 

Items
No. Item

43.

Planning Applications called in by members of the Area Forum pdf icon PDF 446 KB

This item has been included as a late addition to the published agenda at the request of the Area Forum Chair, Councillor Sam Hearn. 

Minutes:

See the report of the Development Control Support Manager. The report was submitted separately as a supplementary agenda item.

 

Sarah Scannell, Planning Officer, described the planning application for 409 Chiswick high Road which was the subject of the call-in request. Planning officers were recommending refusal of the application as they felt that it would harm the character of the original dwelling and would fail to preserve the character and appearance of the thorny hedge conservation area. The property had been intentionally designed as a detached 2 story dwelling as a deliberate design feature as part of the mainly three-storey row of terraced houses.

 

Councillor Thompson suggested that the application should be referred to the Planning Committee. The officer interpretation of the conservation issues might be correct in very strict terms but the Committee should have the opportunity to consider more widely, and in more detail, the proposed plans which were quite sensitive to maintaining the character of the building and blending in with the surrounding area.

 

Maria Roubahans spoke on the half of the West Chiswick Society. She supported refusal of the planning application. She stated that the property was an excellent architectural example. Creating a three-storey detached property would be incongruous with the overall design of the houses in the area. The two-storey detached property gave a clear visual distinction to the three-storey terrace. It was an important feature of the conservation area. She suggested that it might be possible to create a more modest loft conversion or possibly a rear extension which did not have the same impact.

 

The planning agent for the application explained that the additional space was needed for bedrooms and a rear extension would not be appropriate. Consideration was given to a loft conversion but there was insufficient headroom to make this option viable. It was likely to require unsightly dormer windows. There was also a difficulty in accommodating a staircase.

He referred to the fact that a similar 3rd storey extension proposal had been granted in 1992 for a property nearby before the conservation area was introduced. As part of the current proposal a detailed heritage statement had been produced. The applicant then went on to explain in more detail the reasons for seeking to increase space available in the house and their commitment to remaining in the local area. The proposal would be undertaken with the utmost attention to conservation detail.

 

Resolved -

 

That the planning application to erect a roof extension to create a 3rd floor at 409 Chiswick High Road (reference 00248/409/P5) be referred to the Planning Committee for determination.

44.

Minor Changes to Pathway which connects Russell Kerr Avenue to Dan Mason Drive pdf icon PDF 437 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

See the report of the lead Cabinet Member for Traffic and Transport (agenda item 2).

 

Kieran Toms, Transport Planner, introduced the report. He undertook to pass on concerns raised by Councillor Oulds regarding dog fouling and rubbish along Barnes passage leading to Russell Kerr Close.

 

Resolved -

 

a)       That an Order be made under Section 3 of the Cycle Tracks Act 1984 for:

 

-       the creation of a new ramped access from the end of Russell Kerr Close to the pathway and the introduction of a barrier for cycles;

 

-       the introduction of a new dropped curb where the path meets Dan Mason Drive and the reduction of the height of those fence panels that are considered too high; and

 

-       the formalisation of the shared use of the path for pedestrians and cyclists and incorporating the introduction of associated signage.

 

b)       That a public notice of the making of the Order be given and in the event of there being no objections within the period specified, the order to be confirmed.

 

c)       That in the event of objections being received and not resolved, the Executive Director of Regeneration, Economic Development and Environment be given delegated authority to resolve these leading to their withdrawal and to proceed to making the order or alternatively if these cannot be resolved to refer the matter to the Secretary of State to determine and to be responsible for the conduct of any hearing or public enquiry that may result.

45.

Small Grant Applications pdf icon PDF 126 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

This report was withdrawn.

46.

Police Report pdf icon PDF 110 KB

Minutes:

See the report of the police attached to the agenda at item 4.

 

Inspector Edwards introduced the report. He referred to the positive impact that Predictive Policing was having. It was being used by both the neighbourhood teams and by the response teams. The reporting of domestic violence had increased possibly as the police were encouraging reporting of domestic violence. There was a dedicated domestic violence resource as part of the community safety team. There was currently a problem with mopeds being used in association with theft from motor vehicles. He confirmed that extra staff had been deployed borough-wide over the summer.

 

The following issues were raised by members of the Forum:

 

Drug dealing on the Gunnersbury Park estate particularly in the service roads.

 

Inspector Edwards stated that the police did do regular exercises to target drug dealers and any information that could be supplied would be useful to the police. Drug crime was not one of the areas which form part of the local police targets.

 

Anti-social behaviour associated with begging

 

Inspector Edward stated that the approach of the police was to take account of whether individuals were in genuine need or whether they were part of organised group.

 

Fly tipping

 

Inspector Edward stated that the police were not involved in any preventative work but would react and support the local authority.

 

Safer Neighbourhood ward leaflets

 

Inspector Edwards agreed to ensure the leaflets were made available to councillors in adjoining wards in Chiswick.

47.

Wheeled Bin Verbal Update pdf icon PDF 388 KB

Minutes:

See the report of the Lead Cabinet member for the Environment (agenda item 5).

 

Matthew Williamson and Thomas Burgess from the waste and recycling team introduced the report.

 

The following issues were raised by members of the Forum and the public in attendance at the meeting. The response of officers on each issue is shown in italics.

 

-       The view was expressed that Hounslow Council had the worst recycling rate in West London despite the introduction of wheelie bins to a significant area of the borough. It would be a waste of public money to further extend the wheelie bin program to remaining areas.

 

It was the case that the amount of waste collected had increased more in those parts of the borough which had not yet had wheelie bins introduced.

 

-       More emphasis should be placed on education and improving the awareness of the benefits and cost savings of recycling.

 

Education and awareness raising was an important part of the introduction of wheelie bins. Officers were undertaking home visits and writing to households where there were issues about the failure to comply with the new arrangements. It was recognised that there were greater problems in those areas with a significant transient population.

 

-       Plans for an increased level of enforcement were felt to be far too draconian and counter-productive.

 

The main focus of formal enforcement in the east of the Borough was business premises on Chiswick high Road and houses in multiple occupation.

 

-       The target set for recycling was unattainable. Smokeless incineration was put forward as an achievable alternative to recycling.

 

-       The introduction of charges for the disposal of garden waste was likely to lead some individuals to stop using the service and possibly lead to an increase the level of fly tipping. The charge would be difficult to meet for those with limited incomes. The alternative of disposing of green waste at a civic amenity site had its own costs and environmental impact.

 

The collection of garden waste was not a statutory service. The Council wanted to encourage the recycling of garden waste and had, up to now, provided a free service but this was expensive and in the light of the difficult financial situation that the Council had to contend with a charge was now being introduced. There would be an annual charge of £50. This would be reduced to £25 for those on means tested benefits. Households were also being encouraged and supported to use composting as an alternative way of disposing of green waste. If individuals chose to take garden waste to a civic amenity site, they were free to take it to the nearest site which did not have to be in the Borough.

 

-       Wheelie bins were likely to detrimentally impact upon the street scene particularly in areas of terraced housing with very limited front garden space. This would be even more of a concern if additional wheelie bins are required for separated recycling waste.

 

The method of collection of recycled  ...  view the full minutes text for item 47.

48.

Public Forum - development proposal for Capital Interchange Way

Minutes:

A member of the public, Margaret Freer, referred to the major development proposal for a mixed development of housing and business use and a relocated bus station on Capital Interchange Way. The development was just outside the boundary of the Chiswick Area Forum but she felt it would have a significant impact on the Chiswick area.  She suggested that the architects should be invited to a meeting of the Area Forum to discuss their proposals.

 

Maria Roubahans also felt that it would have an impact on Chiswick. She noted that the adopted Local Plan did not mention the site. The Planning Inspector had removed proposals relating to the Great West Corridor from the Local Plan. She felt that the proposal should not be considered by the Planning Committee until a local planning framework was in place which covered this site.

 

(Councillor McGregor arrived at the meeting)

49.

Flytipping - a strategic approach for Dukes Meadows pdf icon PDF 233 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

See Report of the Lead Member for Public Health and Leisure. (Agenda item 6).

 

Stephania Horne, Head of Parks, gave a PowerPoint presentation on how it was proposed to tackle fly tipping and other issues at Dukes Meadows to make the site safer and better looked after.

 

Kathleen Healy on behalf of the Friends of Dukes Meadows stated that the most significant problems related to that part of the site which was south of the railway line. Comparison was made with the area to the north of the railway line. The involvement of the Friends of Dukes Meadows had led to a much more proactive management approach and practical improvements. This was lacking elsewhere as Carillion had a very narrow brief. Tackling the issues would require a proactive stewardship approach rather than basic management and maintenance. There was a lack of land management skills. A local resident explained some of the existing problems which included:

 

-       uncontrolled car parking.

-       large-scale barbecues which led to antisocial behaviour, littering and the deposit of human waste because of a lack of toilet facilities.

-       very significant levels of fly tipping

 

It was suggested that there was a case for controlling and or banning barbecues. Consideration should also be given to the installation of CCTV surveillance.

 

Stephania Horne confirmed that it was the intention of the Council to work with Carillion and other stakeholders to proactively address the issues raised. Further investigation visits would be undertaken to assess the broad range of the issues and possible ways to tackle them which would lead to the drawing up of an action plan.

 

The Area Forum agreed that there was a clear need for a more robust and proactive approach and they supported officers in taking this forward. They also specifically recommended that the relevant Lead Cabinet Member should be asked to investigate what enforcement measures might be put in place in Dukes Meadows and also give consideration to a ban on barbeques.

50.

Leisure and Culture Strategy consultation pdf icon PDF 340 KB

Minutes:

Imran Chaudhry, Director of Public Health and Leisure, outlined the issues behind the consultation on Hounslow’s Leisure and Culture Strategy. These were also set out in more detail in a PowerPoint presentation attached to the agenda at item 7. The consultation period was from 5 October to 16 November 2015. The National Consultation Institute was assisting the Council to undertake the conduct the consultation which was being undertaken through a number of different channels including community groups, focus groups and a telephone survey. In addition there was a general public survey which could be completed online or by post. He welcomed comments from the Forum.

 

A summary of the comments made by Councillors and members of the public is set out below.

 

Consultation process

 

         Awareness of the consultation was low.

         It was not advertised in Hounslow Matters.

         It was was more about a prelude to cuts rather than the development of a strategy.

 

Chiswick Library

 

         The library was valuable asset for the community which was very important to maintain and improve.

         Investment was needed to create disabled access to all parts of the building.

         The library had not received its fair share of investment over the years - more money had been put in to library services in other parts of the borough e.g. Hounslow Library.

         There was concern about the lack of transparency over commercial leases at the library.

 

Libraries generally

 

         Expansion of digital resources should not be at the expense of reducing the physical book stock.

 

Turnham Green

 

         There were too many revenue raising activities which were not an appropriate use of the Green.

         Damage was being caused by funfairs.

 

Dukes Meadows

 

         There was concern that that the aspiration in the Local Plan to make Dukes Meadows a centre of sporting excellence might be lost if budget cuts were made.

 

Promotion of the arts

 

         The Chiswick area had a greater engagement with the arts than other areas of the borough and this needed to be recognised.

51.

Review of Citizen Participation pdf icon PDF 188 KB

Minutes:

See report of the Lead Member for Finance and Citizen Engagement (agenda item 8).

 

Sarah Scannell, Planning Officer, introduced the report and invited the Forum to consider whether they wished to use the discretionary powers which were now available to them to set up Ward Forums.

 

The following comments were made by Members of the Forum:

 

The original decision to withdraw planning powers from Area Committees was a retrograde step which had reduced local engagement in the planning process.

 

There were dangers in holding ward forum meetings without the presence of officers. There could be an adverse perception of a lack of accountability, transparency and due process. There was also a concern as to whether a ward forum could be effective without adequate support.

 

The effectiveness of the ward forum as a tool for mediation/arbitration on planning issues was overestimated.

 

Notwithstanding these reservations the Area Forum wished to give the proposals some further consideration and determine how they wish to proceed at the next meeting.

52.

Minutes of the meeting held on 21 July 2015 pdf icon PDF 94 KB

Minutes:

The minutes of the meeting held on 21 July 2015 were confirmed.

53.

Minutes of the meeting held on 8 September 2015 pdf icon PDF 127 KB

Minutes:

The minutes of the meeting held on 8 September 2015 were confirmed subject to the following amendment on page 3, Item 36, Paragraph 11: (Developing a long-term strategy for Dukes Meadows).

 

That the following sentence be removed :

 

‘Ms Campbell emphasised that, once funds were identified to create a strategy, the Dukes Meadows Trust would be asked to lead the project forward and utilize their extensive knowledge of the area’

 

and replaced with;

 

‘Ms Campbell emphasised that, once funds had been identified to create a strategy, The Council would be leading the project and would consult with Dukes Meadows Trust, all tenants, community groups and local residents as part of the process’.

54.

Matter arising from the minutes of the meeting on 8 September 2015

Minutes:

Councillor McGregor stated that, with reference minute 38 (planning application for a basement extension at 19 Flanders Road), there remained no Council policy on basement extensions.  The significant increase in the number of these types of extensions and the potential for structural damage was a huge concern for neighbouring properties.  The Chair suggested that this was a building control issue.  Councillor McGregor pointed out that building control inspections were most often undertaken by private surveyors paid for by the applicant.