Hounslow Council


Agenda and draft minutes

Venue: Committee Room 1, Civic Centre, Lampton Road, Hounslow. View directions

Contact: Email: kay.duffy@hounslow.gov.uk 020 8583 2067 

Items
No. Item

34.

Welcome and Apologies for Absence

Minutes:

The Chair welcomed all to the meeting and invited a round of introductions. 

 

Apologies were received from Alan Adams, Anita Bhogal, Detective Chief Inspector Mark Broom, Imran Choudhury (Sigrid Blackman deputising at this meeting), Councillor Richard Foote, Mary Harpley, Rachel Heydon, Jon Kennedy, Ben Moore, Jude Naronha, Cassie Newman, Aled Richards, Councillor Sue Sampson and Brendon Walsh.

 

The Chair wished to record the Board’s thanks and gratitude to the Clerk, Jane Medici, for her help in supporting the Board before moving to a new role within the Council.

35.

Minutes of the meeting held on 28 October 2015 & Matters Arising pdf icon PDF 113 KB

Minutes:

The minutes of the meeting were agreed and signed by the Chair as a correct record, subject to the following amendments:

 

Apologies for absence:

James Jolly confirmed that he had been deputised by Anthony Josling.

 

Minute 23: Matters Arising, Page 1 (Concordia):

It was agreed that Concordia should not link with the Integrated Offender Management (IOM) Strategy Group and that both Concordia and IOM should report to this Board. 

 

Correct “Risk of Harm Group” to read “Risk of Harm Panel”.

 

Minute 23: Matters Arising, Page 4 (Youth Crime Management Board):

The Chair suggested that, where the MPS was leading on Concordia, it should provide the Key Performance Indicators.  He would liaise with Sabeel and Permjit following this meeting to discuss this matter in more detail. ACTION – Sabeel Khan and Permjit Chadha

 

Correct “Youth Crime Board” to read “Hate Crime Prevention Forum”.

 

Minute 24: FGM Presentation (Action):

Members agreed to defer the submission of the position statement on FGM outcomes to the Board’s May 2016 meeting. ACTION – Permjit Chadha

 

Matters arising from the minutes:

 

Minute 25: Safe Place Scheme:

Sabeel confirmed that he had spoken with Sgt. Ehab about the scheme after the October meeting.  Permjit noted the intention to review the scheme, following discussions at the Hate Crime Forum.  She suggested that there would be a good opportunity to promote Safe Place again, with the input from shop owners, following this review.

 

Minute 26: Domestic Homicide Review:

Permjit Chadha reported that the first meeting had been held with all agencies in December and that the second meeting was scheduled for this Friday (29 January). There was concern in relation to the limited information available.  Permjit provided assurances that the actions appeared to be on track and that, whilst a detailed update would be shared with the Chair outside this meeting, this could not be shared with the Board’s membership. 

         

Minute 27: Bids for Community Safety Partnership Reserve Fund (Exiting Prostitution action):

Sabeel reported that the project was no longer being run by the Eves Agency but by NIA.  The estimate budget of £251,000 had included various charges.  The budget covered the period from September 2014 through to October 2016 and included both the Kerb Safe and Pathway projects.  Ten more operations were planned between now and October.  The investment reflected the priority given by the borough and the success in referrals to exiting co-ordinators had resulted from positive partnership work with women in the area.  The Chair asked Permjit to provide a detailed report on the costs and outcomes of this initiative. ACTION – Permjit Chadha

 

The Chair had spoken with fellow Borough Commanders in Ealing and Hillingdon.  Only Ealing wished to progress work.  He would discuss the matter outside this meeting with Permjit and asked Dee to attend a meeting with Ealing colleagues. ACTION – Permjit Chadha and Dee O’Brien

 

Minute 28: Implementation of the Borough’s new Environmental Enforcement and Community Safety Proposals:  The Chair asked for the Enforcement Team’s organisational chart to be  ...  view the full minutes text for item 35.

36.

Review and Audit of CSP Projects

Minutes:

Permjit stated that she was looking to complete a review and audit of MOPAC funded projects. She had met with Cassie and agreed to begin with the IOM project, including how it had been performing since the funding had been agreed.  Sabeel would carry out a financial review.  Permjit would lead on the review of IOM and would have individual meetings with people from both the operational and strategic boards before bringing recommendations back to this Board.  Other project reviews would follow. ACTION – Sabeel Khan (financial review) and Permjit Chadha (IOM review)

 

Sabeel indicated that a report could come back to this Board’s May meeting, as he would be visiting the Probation Offices on Cross Lances Road mid-February and reviewing the original bid.  Reviews of other projects could also be completed on the Youth Offending Service, One-Stop Shop and the ISVA funds before the May Board meeting.  The Chair suggested prioritising three or four projects for completion.  He asked to be briefed on the reviews before the May Board meeting.  ACTION – Sabeel Khan

 

Sigrid Blackman commented that she would like to be included in the circulation for the reviews.  She suggested that the Drug Intervention Programme could also be completed as an internal review and confirmed that iHear was currently going through a restructure.  James Jolly also asked that Probation Services should be involved.  He also suggested that the review of IOM look at a wider scope.  Permjit asked James to send examples from other boroughs to see whether Community Safety could be involved. ACTION – James Jolly

 

When asked about the future of MOPAC grants (2016/17 being the final year under the current funding agreement), Sabeel reported that Chris Benson had indicated continued funding from the London Crime Prevention Fund, dependent of course on the outcome of the forthcoming Mayoral elections. 

37.

Exiting Prostitution Project - Full Costing to the Borough

Minutes:

Sabeel added to his earlier update that consideration would have to be given to what would happen after the current funding allocation ended in October 2016.  The Chair suggested that he would liaise with colleagues in Ealing on an exit strategy.  ACTION – Mr Kohli

38.

Violence against Women and Girls, and Hate Crime Strategies

Minutes:

Sabeel stated that officers would be refreshing the Violence Against Women and Girls (VAWG) Strategy.  He confirmed that revenge porn and modern day slavery were areas that had been identified as gaps in the current strategy.

 

A Hate Crime Strategy would be drafted and aligned with the existing MOPAC strategy.  It was noted that Hounslow already had a Hate Crime Prevention Board and that completion of the strategy had been delayed due to the requirement to wait for the Mayor’s office to release/ approve documents.

 

Both strategies were expected to be completed by April 2016.  A sub-group chaired by Permjit would oversee the work on the Hate Crime Strategy.  The Chair offered the resources of the MPS for the work on the documents.

39.

Strategy Outcomes Action Plan Q3 Reporting pdf icon PDF 267 KB

Minutes:

Sabeel reported that all areas had been rated green with the exception of “MOPAC 7”, rated amber.  The report was a reminder to all partners to ensure they were meeting their targets on all seven areas.  The Chair noted that he would discuss the detail of the monitoring report with Sabeel outside this meeting.  ACTION – Chair and Sabeel

 

The Chair supported Jacqui’s suggestion to introduce a rolling rota for each lead officer to report to this Board on their respective areas.  He added that a short commentary from each lead officer would be beneficial with a question and answer session at the Board meeting. Jacqui then proposed that Chris Domeney provide an update on reoffending at the next Board meeting. ACTION – Chris Domeney

 

The Chair agreed that youth crime was an ongoing challenge.  The Chair confirmed that the Local Safeguarding Children Board (LSCB) Chair had written to him about a Gangs Prevention Strategy and that he had responded in the affirmative.  Jacqui explained that this was a recommendation for the LSCB review of the fatal stabbing.  Jacqui suggested that the Community Safety Partnership should lead on this crosscutting, multi-agency strategy.  The Chair acknowledged that gangs prevention was not a standalone issue but straddled a range of agencies and services, etc.  Taking into account Jacqui’s suggestion that any strategy must, therefore, sit above the Youth Crime Prevention Strategy, the Chair asked members to contact him outside this meeting with their thoughts on where it was best placed.

 

Jacqui said that the Hounslow rate of reoffending at 48.7% exceeded both the  London average and England and reducing this rate was a priority.  First time offending rates and custody rates were good.  There was an action plan in place and some elements had already been implemented including the transfer of the Triage and Out of Courts Disposal from Early Intervention Services (EIS) to the Youth Offending Service.  Members should begin to see those rates fall.  The Chair noted that Jon Kennedy would be tasked to look at this area in more detail.  As the Chair had a personal interest in reoffending rates, he requested a copy of the figures to see if gaps could be identified.  ACTION – Jacqui McShannon

 

JobCentre Plus had approved some flexible support funding for offenders.  Working with Enterprise Inspiration the funding helped offenders to set themselves up in self-employment.  Probation colleagues were working with JobCentre Plus on an eight-week programme, launched last week.  The target was to get 50 individuals to start the programme, 20 of which should be find work.  Already since the launch five people had signed up.  The programme’s criteria included individuals who were claiming benefits, who had a criminal record and were over 18 years old.  There was a small cohort of 16/17 year olds but that target group was predominantly older.  Jas would circulate a short paragraph explaining the programme, which would then be used by partners circulate to their frontline staff.  ACTION – Jas Lall.

 

Whilst apprenticeships were high on  ...  view the full minutes text for item 39.

40.

Data from CSP Sub Groups

Minutes:

Permjit reported that, following a conversation with the Violence Against Women and Girls group, there was a risk that the data held by the police on referrals made to agencies may have been double counted.  She added that some agencies did not record any data and may not have the resources collect detailed datasets.

 

The VAWG review would consider why the data was being collected and what it was used for.  It would be up to this Board to decide what was required.  The Chair noted a preference for simple figures on how many individuals had been referred, adding that later on it could be possible to look at outcomes.  The initial purpose was to assess how active a particular group was.  Permjit suggested that the police data could be used as the primary information source.  Should emerging trends become apparent, officers could carry out further analysis of the particular datasets. 

 

When asked how groups would be informed what was expected of them, Permjit suggested starting with the police data.  She was aware that only a small percentage of people were coming forward to report to the VAWG.

 

Permjit stated that the Hounslow and Richmond Community Healthcare data was not flagged, which made it more difficult to identify quickly any domestic violence cases.  The Chair stated that the police data could be provided with a short commentary to improve the ability to track any emerging trends.  There was a suggestion that all sub-groups could be tasked with providing data, such as fly tipping or anti-social behaviour statistics.  

Sub-Groups - updates and reports by the chairs of the sub-groups

41.

Youth Crime Management Board pdf icon PDF 43 KB

Minutes:

Jacqui McShannon reported that the Board’s focus was the high rate of reoffending, the reduction of which was a priority.  The Youth Offending Service was looking at improving timely, thorough early intervention. Triage and Out of Court Disposals had now been transferred from EIS to Youth Offending Service.  Some diagnostic work was carried out in partnership with the Youth Justice Board.  The current rate – both number and frequency – put Hounslow at risk of inspection. This work was overseen by the Youth Crime Management Board.  The Youth Justice Board had provided initial reassurance on the plans and measures in place but would want to interrogate these plans in more detail.

 

Mr Charlie Taylor had been appointed by the Secretary of State for Justice, Michael Gove MP, to carry out a review of the Youth Justice Board.  It was acknowledged that in-year cuts to budgets had resulted in a reduced service.  The Chair asked whether there were any charities providing mental health support and advice for the borough’s young people and offered to share details of a Camden based charity outside this meeting.  He was concerned that YOS staff were carrying out home visits, where Safer Neighbourhood officers might be better placed to do this, freeing up YOS resources. 

 

Jacqui noted that the Board was due to meet in the coming week and would look at the action plan in response to a fatal stabbing before taking an update to the next Community Safety Partnership Board.  The Chair noted that Jon Kennedy was also looking at strategies in relation to youth crime, which may have synergies with the action plan being drafted. ACTION – Jon Kennedy

42.

Violence Against Women and Girls Strategic Group pdf icon PDF 74 KB

Minutes:

See update provided above (minute 38).

43.

Hate Crime Prevention Forum pdf icon PDF 107 KB

Minutes:

Permjit informed the Board that an LGBT survey on issues including safety, crime hotspots, venues frequented, etc., had been developed in partnership with Community Safety colleagues.  Hounslow would pilot this anonymous survey once colleagues in Corporate Communications had signed it off and published it online. 

 

Whilst there was no known single locale for the borough’s LGBT community, Permjit suggested that the survey could be publicised at some of the venues popular with the LGBT community, both in Hounslow and neighbouring boroughs. 

 

Permjit suggested that hate crime support services, currently under review, may not be sharing support because their reports were not confined to LGBT issues.  She suggested that there was still a need to gather discreet information on Hounslow cases.  A decision on the review of the service would be brought back to this Board.  The Chair noted that a review of the MPS response to hate crime was currently underway and offered the help of MPS colleagues in supporting the Local Authority’s review.

 

Sigrid stated that the Gay Men’s Project could provide data on HIV prevention services.  She offered to put Permjit in touch with the relevant contact outside this meeting.  She added that NAZ had begun working with the Black African community in Hounslow in recent months.   Whilst she was not the commissioner, Sigrid offered to make enquiries to see if NAZ was able to assist in the publication of the survey. ACTION – Sigrid Blackman

44.

Anti-Social Behaviour Prevention Group

Minutes:

This group’s work was on hold due to the current restructure.   However, the Enforcement Team was now in place and officers would be looking at what the group should look like.  All partners were encouraged to contribute to the work.  Dee suggested that Jon Kennedy would be best placed to take Ch. Insp. Rob Weir’s position on the group in the first instance and invite a relevant colleague if necessary.  Permjit reported that the date of the next meeting as February 10th, by which time the terms of reference should be in place.  A report would be brought back to this Board in due course. ACTION: Jon Kennedy (ASB Prevention Group) and Permjit Chadha (Terms of Reference)

45.

Integrated Offender Management Strategy Group

Minutes:

Niamh Farren was now the “Cohort Lead” rather than the ‘Area Lead’. 

 

Cassie was the CRC contact for eight boroughs including Hounslow.  Her new job title was Head of Stakeholders and Partnership.  Her email had been updated and was now set up to send and receive secure files. 

 

Reporting would now be done for cohorts rather than areas.   James Jolly confirmed that he had passed on the Board’s concerns, including the risks of confusion arising from the overlaps using ‘young female offender’ as an example.  He agreed that offending related needs didn’t fit neatly into one group, although it may be possible to review the process where required.

 

Gerry McCarthy stressed the importance of the Payback initiative to the borough.  His team was always looking for other Payback projects and was in the process of compiling a six-month plan.  James acknowledged that Payback had been more effective in Hounslow than other boroughs and thanked Gerry for his positive comments.  Gerry asked partners to let Enforcement colleagues know where there was a need for enforcement action and his team would look into each request. 

 

Jas confirmed that JCP was represented on the IOM Board and that staff attended regular meetings.

46.

CRC Update pdf icon PDF 399 KB

Minutes:

Members noted the submitted documents.

47.

CSP Communications

Minutes:

The Chair referred members to the late paper from the Communications Manager, which he said illustrated the need for a communications strategy to better market the positive outcomes of the Board’s work.

 

The Chair asked Permjit and Sabeel to liaise with Communications on reviewing the current communications strategy and to draft a new one, which applied to all partners and which placed responsibility on each partner to collect and publicise their good news stories.  Whilst he was sure that similar stories were available from partners, the Chair drew attention to the fact that all seven stories in the tabled briefing had been generated by the Local Authority’s Communications Team.  ACTION - Sabeel Khan and Permjit Chadha

 

Consideration was given as to whether a sub-group of the Board should look at the drafting of a communications strategy as a discreet piece of work.  It was suggested that partners could feed their good news stories into this Board before they were then passed to Communications for publicising. 

48.

CSP Terms of Reference Update pdf icon PDF 78 KB

Minutes:

See submitted Terms of Reference document, Agenda Item 11.

 

The Chair indicated that the he had met with Permjit and Sabeel on this matter.  There was consensus amongst attending members that Board meetings should be restricted.  The Safer Neighbourhood Board could address less security sensitive issues and respond to any concerns raised by residents.

 

There was a general discussion on the transparency of the Board’s meetings.  The Clerk confirmed that, should the Board wish to continue publishing minutes of meetings, there was the option of producing both a public (published online) and a restricted set of minutes (Board members only).  Permjit confirmed that she would review the legislative requirements for community safety partnerships and report back to the Board’s next meeting. ACTION – Permjit Chadha

 

It was agreed that the Terms of Reference would be reviewed and taken back to the Board for further consideration.  ACTION – Permjit Chadha

49.

Brief for pending CSP Strategic Assessment and Strategy Refresh pdf icon PDF 32 KB

Minutes:

Sabeel reminded partners that, as of 1 April 2016 there would be six weeks to get the necessary data compiled a ready for the Board’s May meeting.  He confirmed that, where possible, he would use existing available datasets to avoid duplication of work for colleagues.

 

Members acknowledged that the issue of modern day slavery was on the work programme for this board, together with the Local Safeguarding Children (LSCB) and the Local Safeguarding Adults (LSAB).  The Chair asked whether the LFB was providing any intelligence gathered in connection with routine visits to individuals’ homes.  Greg Ashman confirmed that his staff were trained on safeguarding and where they had safeguarding concerns during visits, they called the police and remained on site until police colleagues attended.  

 

The Chair asked Permjit to draft a paper for the Board’s consideration at its May meeting. ACTION – Permjit Chadha

50.

Date of next meeting 25 May 2016

Minutes:

The date of the forthcoming meeting was noted.

 

51.

Urgent Business

Any other items which the Chair accepts for consideration on the grounds of urgency

Minutes:

Multi-agency Private Protection Arrangement (MAPPA):

Members noted that this arrangement covered those offenders who presented the highest risk of harm to the public.  There followed a short discussion on the three risk levels for individuals.

 

Request for membership of the Board:

Sigrid Black informed the Board that iHear was keen to secure a permanent representation on this Board.

 

Update on Universal Credit:

Jas Lall confirmed that Hounslow was the pilot borough for the full Universal Credit rollout.  This fully digital service had been promoted at two recent events for the borough’s landlords and stakeholders.  From today (27 January) all individuals applying for assistance would be registered on Universal Credit.  Hounslow Council would offer both online support and personal budgeting support to residents.  Information would be circulated to GP surgeries, libraries, housing offices, etc. on how to claim for assistance.  Jas agreed to circulate slides from the launch events to Board members following this meeting. ACTION – Jas Lall (Slides were circulated to members with draft minutes 18 March 2016)

 

Jas confirmed that she was working with colleagues at the Council to publicise the rollout and was waiting for Jon Kennedy to get an article in the newsletter.  She welcomed any feedback, including that which may shape policy at this early stage in the rollout and help to improve the service. 

 

London Fire Brigade (LFB) now part of the Home Office:

Greg Ashman informed members that responsibility for fire and rescue policy was now held by the Home Office.  As a result of a recent publicity event, Greg had lots of smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms to give away to landlords across the borough.  He pointed members to the LFB website where requests could be submitted.  By law landlords could receive a fine of up to £5,000 if these hadn’t fitted the requisite number and type of alarms in rental properties.  The Chair noted the importance of raising awareness and offered the services of the police in doing so when attending rented properties. The Chair confirmed that the MPS had a good relationship with the LFB and that Police officers attending properties and witnessing burn marks on the floor had been reporting this back to LFB colleagues. 

 

Greg reminded the Board that residents were advised to close internal doors at night to prevent the spread of fire.  As a result residents were urged to place smoke alarms in bedrooms, particularly where children were sleeping.