Hounslow Council


Agenda and minutes

Venue: Committee Room 2, Civic Centre, Lampton Road, Hounslow. View directions

Contact: Jane Medici, Email: jane.medici1@hounslow.gov.uk 020 8583 2064 

Items
No. Item

1.

Welcome and Apologies for Absence

Minutes:

The Chair welcomed members to the meeting.

 

2.

Minutes of the meeting held on 29 January 2015 & Matters Arising pdf icon PDF 62 KB

Minutes:

The minutes of the meeting held on 29 January 2015 were agreed to be accurate.

 

Matters arising:

 

1.    Minute 23 – Reducing Road Casualties in Hounslow:

 

Although there had been some fatalities since the last meeting it was reported that the planned work had been completed with positive results.

 

2.    Minute 24 – CSPB Terms of Reference :

 

Nigel Farmer agreed to circulate the revised Terms of Reference to Board Members.

 

a)    It was agreed that CSPB meetings were to be public with private discussions where needed.

b)    The Safer Neighbourhood Board Chair, Rachel Heydon, had been invited and was welcomed to the meeting.

c)    The CSPB agreed the following in respect of the Quorum; the 33% full membership attendance required to be quorate must include representation by at least 50% of the full range of CSP member authorities and not only Local Authority Officers.  This was agreed by members at the meeting.

d)    Godfrey Hamilton reported that the ASB prevention group was worthwhile and an excellent opportunity for organisations to connect. It had initially been a very useful conduit to allocate funds for projects. Now that there are no funds the new focus was on:

1.     The review of the Anti-Social Behaviour area action groups.

2.     The Evaluation of trends.

3.    Summer diversionary campaigns.

4.    Coordinating efforts of police and council on initiatives.

5.    Reviewing legislative changes and how to apply these locally.

6.    Working with youth services and mental health to address issues.

 

Actions:  Nigel Farmer

 

3.    Minute Item 25 – Community Safety Reserve Fund

 

Sabeel Khan reported that the funding for the cycle patrols would continue.  Funding had also been used to purchase GPS tagging for a small cohort of ASB offenders on a pilot project.  This had proven to be a cost effective method of reducing crime.   There had been positive results in the five other boroughs where the pilots had been run.  The pilots where considered a success in London.

3.

Update on the Exiting Prostitution Project

Cheryl Stafford from Eaves for Women

Minutes:

The update on the Exiting Prostitution Project is to be delivered at the next meeting.

4.

Community Safety Partnership Operational Meetings, Board and Sub Groups Governance Arrangements pdf icon PDF 76 KB

Minutes:

Carl Bussey introduced Agenda Items 4 & 5 together.

 

Permjit Chadha spoke to the report attached to the agenda.

 

Carl Bussey requested a review of the current operational groups and reported that while there was some overlap the groups should remain as they currently exist.  He does not sit on any of the operational groups himself.

 

1.    ASBAG

 

It was reported that this was still a useful group and although it may be convenient to merge the 3 monthly ASBAG meetings this would lead to an unwieldy Agenda and an unacceptably lengthy meeting (a full day).  Nigel Farmer suggested that a joined up meeting be run for a trial period. 

 

Permjit Chadha questioned how this would be managed, with the need to include a large number of different partners, dealing with different individuals.

 

Chris Domeney suggested that the ASBAG be divided into two meetings with one focusing on youth and one on adults.

 

Carl Bussey requested that Steve Edwards and Permjit Chadha work together on a solution to the issue of number and length of meetings for ASBAG and provide an interim report to Carl Bussey outlining possible solutions. 

 

Action:  Permjit Chadha and Steve Edwards

 

2.    MARAC

 

Permjit Chadha reported that the borough wide multi-agency MARAC develops safety plans for high risk victims of domestic violence.  MARAC was working cross-borough to identify operational blocks to support of victims.

 

3.    Operation Concordia

 

Permjit Chadha reported that she was not clear on who this group reported to.  Stuart Low reported that he also could not see where the group fitted.  Chris Domeney reported that he attended meetings regularly and that the group had been instrumental in the reduction in youth crime.  The group brings agencies together to share information and create a shared ‘energy’. 

Carl Bussey questioned who Concordia reported into.  Chris Domeney was unsure which sub-group Concordia fitted into. The group has no current governance and deals with both youth and adult gang related crime.  Carl Bussey requested that the group report twice yearly to the Hounslow Community Safety Partnership Board.

 

Action: Concordia membership

 

4.    Risk of Harm

 

Chris Domeney reported that an overlap existed between the Risk of Harm group and Concordia.  Members considered the impact of combining the the groups and concluded that the combination would be unwieldy and lead to day long meetings.  It was agreed that the close links between Risk of Harm and Concordia should be explored further. 

 

Rob Weir and Chris Domeney are to review existing overlap between Sub-groups Concordia and Risk of Harm and provide a proposal.

 

Action:  Rob Weir and Chris Domeney

 

 

5.    Multi Agency Sexual Exploitation Panel

 

This group looks at individual cases of young people affected by CSE or at risk of CSE.  It reports into the LSCB.

 

Permjit Chadha introduced a flowchart for the sub-groups of the CSP and asked whether the members where happy with the existing sub-groups, whether any others were needed or whether members considered there to be too many.  Members agreed that the range and number of  ...  view the full minutes text for item 4.

5.

CSP Communications Plan/Strategy 2015-17 pdf icon PDF 288 KB

Minutes:

Sabeel Khan introduced an outline Communication Plan (Pg 19).  Historically communications going out to residents had not been well connected/coordinated leading to the need to devise a strategic communication plan which would support one message across all agencies.

 

Sabeel Khan reported that use had been made of Hull’s CSP communication plan (to be circulated) which had been assessed as meeting the needs of the Board.  The plan comprised both an internal and an external plan and contained key messages to be shared by all agencies focusing on an annual plan.  The objective was a shared approach with the same message going out across the borough.  Hounslow has also had some success with campaigns run in the past such as the LBH Superhero and DV Christmas campaigns.  It was important to have one message for CSP.  Sabeel Khan suggested that a CSP logo could be created during a rebranding exercise. Members agreed that a themed approach would be a positive way forward.

 

Carl Bussey agreed that public communication had an impact on the confidence of communities and that every effort should be made to share accurate information.  Rachel Heydon added that information should be shared across teams and that everyone with information to share should support this Communication Plan.  Councillor Foote reported that the board needed to find ways to involve all partners in the process and that they needed to find ways to feed information across partner teams.

 

Carl Bussey agreed that results supporting the work of CSP should be shared and asked whether other boards had communication strategies.  Members of the board did not know of any boards with a current communication strategy.

 

Carl Bussey agreed that there was a need to tighten up the partnership work and that a regular Hounslow Matters page should be booked.  Social Media was useful but printed media still had a greater audience and a regular dedicated page would have significant impact.  Permjit Chadha confirmed that the Hounslow Matters page used in the past had worked very well.

 

Raj Kohli questioned whether messages sent out on the CSP Twitter account needed to have permission from CSP before being shared or whether tweeters could inform CSP after sharing of the messages.  The process for obtaining prior permission for the sharing of tweets was considered a possible barrier to communication and board members agreed that tweets, shared responsibly, could be passed to CSP once tweeted.  Permjit Chadha reported that it was more important to show good news in real time and ensure positive results were shared.  Raj Kohli said that it was important that there was a constant feed of information from CSP to the local community, this could be via a blog, monthly articles etc.

 

Jaswant Lall added that face to face communication was still important and that the use of local communities to cascade of information was still a highly effective method of local communication.

 

Councillor Foote suggested that the Communications team attend the next meeting to discuss the suggested plan.

 

Carl Bussey  ...  view the full minutes text for item 5.

6.

Community Safety Partnership Strategic Assessment 2014/15 pdf icon PDF 114 KB

(Paper for discussion, approval and to agree on following years Priorities and Outcomes for the Community Safety Strategy

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Item 7 - Community Safety Partnership Strategic Assessment 2014/2015

 

Sabeel Khan reported that if the board was happy with the content of the report the Executive Summary could be bullet pointed for distribution by Communications.  The Board needed to consider including Child Sexual Exploitation as this now needed to be added to the strategy.  Carl Bussey reported that Operation Make Safe had successfully worked with a number of businesses.  He said that it would be worth exploring further where CSE fitted in terms of the Local Authority perspective. Permjit Chadha reported that a sub-group existed which reported in to the LSCB.  Chris Domeney reported that the LSCB would agree that this was a shared responsibility. 

 

Permjit Chadha reported that direction was needed in terms of the Modern Day Slavery Act and who was leading on it.  There is an issue of a cross over in responsibility between Adult and Children’s services.  Carl Bussey requested that Sabeel Khan provide a draft section to Carl Bussey on links between CSE and the modern day slavery act for the Partnership.

 

Action:  Sabeel Khan

 

Sabeel Khan reported that Community Cohesion was already a theme within the Local Authority and that the officer responsible for ensuring all agencies were aware of radicalisation was Joan Conlan.  CSP was not the lead on this.

 

Sabeel Khan reported that the deadline for changes and feedback on the report was ‘as soon as possible’ , with the addendum on CSE and the Modern Day Slavery Act to be prepared by the 2nd week in June.

 

Imran Choudhury requested that more be included around Community Cohesion in terms of resident consultation, surveys and results.  The next Resident Survey is scheduled for 2016.

 

Carl Bussey asked that particular thanks be recorded in the minutes for the hard work done by Sabeel Khan in putting together the Strategic Plan.

 

 

Actions

 

Sabeel Khan to draft the executive summary of the strategic assessment for publication after final comments from board members to be received by Wednesday 10th June 2015

 

Carl Bussey to meet with Donald McPhail from LSCB and Alan Adams on joint working regarding CSE and Modern Day Slavery Act. 

7.

Date of next meeting 29 July 2015 - 2pm

Minutes:

Carl Bussey proposed that the Board continue with the scheduled 29th July 2015 meeting and asked for commitment from members to attend so that discussions could be kept moving forward.  He noted that the next meeting would be held at 14h00.

 

Councillor Foote informed the Board that Councillor Hanif Khan may be unable to attend the next meeting.

8.

Urgent Business

Any other items which the Chair accepts for consideration on the grounds of urgency

Minutes:

Councillor Foote reported that results of the survey done on the Cumulative Impact Policy were positive.  The survey had looked at specific areas where there had been problems with licensing.  Where results indicated that licensed premises added to ASB in a particular area, no more licenses would be issued.  Councillor Foote confirmed that only alcohol licenses were currently being looked at.  The Cumulative Impact Policy is a 150 page document which has now been taken to Borough Council for approval before it can be implemented.

 

Jaswant Lall reported that positive results had been achieved with the return to work programme being delivered in Hounslow.

 

Dr Imran Choudhury reported that there had been a significant increase in the number of individuals completing the Substance Misuse Service’s programme - this number now exceeded the London average.  Following notification from Public Health England in March 2014 that Hounslow was considered a national ‘priority area’ for its underperformance in substance misuse services for adults, council officers have been working intensively with the commissioned provider of drug and alcohol services (iHEAR Partnership) and Public Health England to drive improvements to the service and to secure better outcomes for residents.  Public Health England have formally written to the Leader and the Chief Executive to congratulate the borough on its achievements in the last year.  Hounslow has achieved the highest improvement rate of the 39 priority areas nationally, and not only is Hounslow no longer a ‘priority area’, we are now achieving outcomes for residents that exceed the national and London averages.