Hounslow Council


Agenda and minutes

Venue: Committee Room 3, Civic Centre, Lampton Road, Hounslow. View directions

Contact: Jonathan Regal, Email: jonathan.regal@hounslow.gov.uk 020 8583 2075 

Items
No. Item

21.

Welcome and Apologies for Absence

Minutes:

The Chair, Chief Superintendent Carl Bussey, welcomed everyone to the meeting and asked everyone to introduce themselves.  Apologies for absence were received from David Allum (represented by Orla Gallagher), Permjit Chadha, Dr Imran Choudhury, Councillor Richard Foote, Liz Gaffney (represented by Daniel Lawless) and Rachel Heydon.

22.

Minutes of the meeting held on 23rd October 2014 & Matters Arising pdf icon PDF 36 KB

Minutes:

Accuracy

The minutes of the meeting held on 23 October 2014 were agreed to be accurate subject to the following changes:

(a)       Line 2 Paragraph 1 of Minute 11 – Child Sexual Exploitation

Replace the word “Brown” with “Broom” so that the name now reads “Detective Chief Inspector Mark Broom”.

 

(b)       Line 1 Paragraph 2 of Minute 11 – Child Sexual Exploitation

Replace the words “suspected CSE” with “suspicion being raised” so that the sentence now reads “Chief Superintendent Carl Bussey stated that there was a low level of suspicion being raised in Hounslow compared with other boroughs.

 

Matters Arising

(a)       Minute 11 – Child Sexual Exploitation

Jacqui McShannon advised that elected members had attended a briefing on child sexual exploitation in January.

 

(b)       Minute 12 – MARAC Self-Assessment

Jonathan Regal said that the presentation had been loaded onto the council’s website within the online agenda for the last meeting.

 

(c)        Minute 13 – Community Safety Partnership Structure

Nigel Farmer advised that the revised terms of reference would be discussed later on in the meeting.

 

(d)       Minute 14 – Hounslow Community Safety Strategy 2014 – 2017

Sabeel Khan said the Strategy had been agreed taking regard of changes and comments made from members.

 

(e)       Minute 15 – Non-Compliance by agencies of Information Sharing requirements as per Section 115 of the Crime and Disorder Act

Sabeel Khan reported that he would re-circulate the Information Sharing Protocol to all partner agencies to resign and to raise awareness of the legal obligation for agencies to share information.

 

(f)         Minute 16 – Update on Community Trigger Protocol

Nigel Farmer advised that the protocol had been agreed and that there was nothing further to update.

23.

Reducing Road Casualties in Hounslow

Minutes:

Fatima Ahmed, Senior Road Safety Advisor, gave a PowerPoint presentation on Reducing Road Casualties in Hounslow in which she highlighted that:

     There was a target for a 40% reduction by 2020 in the amount of casualties (that included fatal casualties, KSI (killed or seriously injured) casualties and children casualties).  Previously, the reduction target was 33% but now this had been changed to match the TfL target.

 

     Further work was required to reduce the total amount of casualties as the current figure required a 50% reduction to meet the 2020 target.  However, the current amount of KSI casualties was below the 2020 target.

 

     Generally, for all casualty categories there was a downward trend and it was hoped that the 2020 targets would be met.

 

     There had been a focus on KSI casualties for many years and analysis had showed the following vulnerable road users:

 

 

% of all casualties

% of KSI casualties

Motorcyclists

14

19

Pedestrians

12

34

Cyclists

12

16

 

     Compared to other London Boroughs, the casualty rates were very low with KSI casualty rates per million vehicle km rates equal fifth lowest and the casualty rates per million vehicle km fifth lowest.

 

     There was no room for complacency and the Borough had agreed to create 20mph zones around all primary schools and some residential areas.  There were also plans to improve the infrastructure and facilities for cyclists.

 

     There were plans to improve accessibility generally in streets, for pedestrians, and provision of dedicated road space for buses to improve journey reliability.

 

     A lot of work had been undertaken in education, training and publicity on road safety that included:

v  promotion of school travel plans (54% of parents involved);

v  free cycle training;

v  pedestrian training skills for primary school children transferring to secondary school;

v  awareness sessions on fitting child car seats (as 80% of residents had not fitted them properly compared  to UK 25%);

v  working with colleges and the Police to educate motor cyclists;

v  provision of 24 school crossing patrols in the Borough;

v  campaigns at schools such as ‘walk to school week’ and ‘Wow’; and

v  the TfL funded ‘safe drive stay alive’ campaign that included a community event with contributions from parents who had lost a child through a road fatality and a child disabled through a KSI.

 

In response to comments from members, Fatima Ahmed said:

     The figures used were those provided by the Police (search 19 data) via TfL and would not necessary include road casualties that were attended to by other emergency services.  The data was based on injuries not necessarily accidents.

 

     The £39.1m cost of road traffic collisions in Hounslow in 2013 was based on the Department for Transport’s calculations taking into account:

·         emergency services and medical costs;

·         direct economic costs of lost output – calculated as the value of expected loss of earnings;

·         human costs –pain, suffering and grief.

 

     Currently the Police are involved in speed awareness campaigns  ...  view the full minutes text for item 23.

24.

Community Safety Partnership Board Terms of Reference pdf icon PDF 76 KB

Minutes:

See the report attached to the agenda at item 3.

 

Nigel Farmer, Head of Community Safety and Business Regulation, informed the Board that he needed agreement on the following before the terms of reference were agreed:

(a)  need for public or private meeting;

(b)  membership of the Board;

(c)  quorum for the meeting;

(d)  work of the Sub-Groups and appointment of their Chair.

 

Members made the following comments on:

(a)  need for public or private meeting

     a balance needed to be found on whether to have frank open discussions in private meetings or accountable meetings in open public meetings.

     prefer an open meeting where there was a provision to go to closed private session.

     some Boards had open public meetings but do not publish their minutes.

 

The Board agreed to hold an open public meeting with the opportunity for a private session if required.

 

Action:  Nigel Farmer

 

(b)  membership of the Board

     there were 3 Councillor member positions proposed in order to include the opposition nominated member.

     the membership would include the Chair of the Safer Neighbourhood Board and each of the Sub-Group Chairs.

     Hounslow Homes/Housing Partnership was represented and would provide feedback to the social housing provider partners within the Borough through a discussion group.

 

The Board agreed to a membership that included the Chair of the Safer Neighbourhood Board and each of the Sub-Group Chairs.

 

Action:  Nigel Farmer

 

(c)  quorum for the meeting

     attendance needed to be monitored.

     there was concern that a quorum of 33% could be achieved with only Council employees in attendance.

 

The Board agreed that further work on the quorum was required which could include a percentage of proper authorities in attendance.

 

Action:  Nigel Farmer

 

(d)  work of the Sub-Groups and appointment of their Chair

     the work of some of the Sub-Groups was questioned.

     the Sub-Groups were invaluable as they ensured that the targets within the Community Safety Strategy could be met.

     the Sub-Group Chair needed to have a seniority such as Head of Service or Manager.

 

Action:  Nigel Farmer

 

Chief Superintendent Carl Bussey requested that a meeting be arranged so that he could meet the Sub-Group Chairs.

 

Action:  Nigel Farmer

 

Orla Gallagher offered to look at the terms of reference for the ASB Prevention Group.

 

Action:  Orla Gallagher

 

In response to queries, the following was said:

     the key performance indicators were identified in the Community Safety Strategy and were managed by the Strategy Group on a red, amber or green basis.

     each individual member was responsible to cascade information through their own agency where appropriate.

     the terms of reference needed tweaking such as the repetition of the legal requirement of the Board (set out in the fourth paragraph within the purpose section and the first bullet of key roles and responsibilities).

 

Action:  Nigel Farmer

25.

Community Safety Reserve Fund pdf icon PDF 143 KB

Minutes:

See the report attached to the agenda at item 4.

 

Sabeel Khan, CSP Performance Manager, introduced the report.  In response to member queries on the funding bids the following was said:

        the London Fire Brigade would be using their bid valued at £3,500 to provide year round cycle patrols through the provision of winter clothing.  The funding would also be used to provide additional training and sprinkler systems for residents who were deemed to have a high risk of a fire occurring in their home.

        the Youth Offending Service would be using their bid valued at £3,429 to provide training to volunteers (who currently provide drugs and alcohol sessions to youths) to establish a service to vulnerable adults.

 

The Board agreed that the London Fire Brigade and Youth Offending Service bids be approved.

 

Action:  Sabeel Khan

 

In relation to the funding bid from the West London Rape Crisis Centre, the following comments were raised:

        the centre felt that there had been an increase in the reporting of rapes even though Police statistics showed a reduction.

        the centre provided a service to rape victims at Police Stations and went to schools for education purposes.

        the 12% management fee (used to ease cash flow problems by many charities) was excessive as it was usually 10%.

        further investigation was required to see whether funding was really required as it was thought that funding was received from other providers.

 

The Board requested that further investigation be undertaken before funding for the West London Rape Centre be approved.

 

Action:  Sabeel Khan

 

At the request of the Board, the funding for GPS Tagging through Buddi would continue.

 

Action:  Sabeel Khan

26.

Overview of the proposed new operating model for the management and rehabilitation of low/medium risk offenders pdf icon PDF 1 MB

Minutes:

See the report attached to the agenda at item 5.

 

Niamh Farren, Senior Probation Officer (London Community Rehabilitation Company), reported that:

        Probation Trusts were dissolved on 31 May 2014 and transferred to the National Probation Service (London) or (London Community Rehabilitation Company).

 

        The London Community Rehabilitation Company was responsible for:

Ø      managing offenders in the community (excluding those who were MAPPA registered);

Ø      offending behaviour programmes (excluding Sex Offender Treatment);

Ø      support services including housing, education, training and employment;

Ø      integrated offender management;

Ø      mentoring;

Ø      restorative justice;

Ø      community payback;

Ø      senior attendance centres; and

Ø      new ‘through the gate’ services.

 

        Probation work outside the responsibility of the London Community Rehabilitation Company was subject to competition in the open market and was awarded (in London) to the MTCnovo consortium.

 

        The operating system was based on cohort management of offenders and localism (i.e. responding to the needs of local partners).

 

In response to comments from members, the following was said:

        MTC had a 30-year track record in the United States that included delivering probationary services.

 

        a very small percentage of the contract was based on payment by results.

 

        performance monitoring would continue through performance indicators.

 

        it was unknown how the cohort would work but it was known that probation officers would be expected to work more in the community.

 

        support and supervision would be allocated on need with more work being done to prevent reoffending for those who had been sentenced up to 2 years.

 

        it was expected that some probationary services would be commissioned through partners.

 

Niamh Farren offered to provide updates to the Board when further information became available.

 

Action:  Niamh Farren

27.

Update on 2014-15 Q3 CSP Outcomes Action Plan pdf icon PDF 111 KB

Minutes:

See the report attached to the agenda at item 6.

 

Sabeel Khan, CSP Performance Manager, introduced the report and reported that there was only one red alert that dealt with the development of a strategic partnership communications plan.  The Residents Survey highlighted that 11% of residents felt that the Council and Police were not working together to address crime and anti-social behaviour.  This was compounded by over 30% not being able to answer the question.  Therefore, further work was required to improve and co-ordinate communication on how the Council and Police were working together.

 

During discussion on how the Council and Police were working together, the following points were raised:

     the Police and Council could use social media to raise the profile and publicise the work they do together.

     more good news stories needed to be put out in the media throughout the year.

     the Council could raise the profile of its work with the Police by utilising the Area Forum and Residents Forum.

     Board Members, Council officers and Police officers needed to discuss and raise the profile on how the Council and Police work together in meeting with members of the public.

 

At the request of Sabeel Khan, the Board was asked that data for inclusion in Strategic Outcomes be received by the first week of May so that the outcomes can be reported to the Annual Meeting on 20 May.

 

Action:  All

28.

Urgent Business

Any other items which the Chair accepts for consideration on the grounds of urgency

Minutes:

The Chair, Chief Superintendent Carl Bussey, said he had met the Leader of the Council and the Chief Executive to discuss child sexual exploitation.  It was agreed that a dedicated webpage to show the pathways available for those reporting child sexual exploitation be launched as part of the forthcoming “Operation Make Safe”.

 

It was agreed that an article be produced for Hounslow Matters.

 

Action:  ????????

29.

Date of next meeting

The next meeting of the Hounslow Community Safety Partnership Board will be held on 20 May 2015 (Date to be confirmed by Borough Council on 27 January)

Minutes:

Members noted that the next meeting was due to be held on Wednesday 20 May 2015.