Hounslow Council


Agenda and minutes

Venue: Committee Room 3, Civic Centre, Lampton Road, Hounslow. View directions

Contact: Farah Irfan-Khan on 020 8583 2075 or by email at  farah.irfan-khan@hounslow.gov.uk 

Items
No. Item

111.

Welcome and Apologies for Absence

112.

Minutes of the meeting held on 12 November 2013 & Matters Arising pdf icon PDF 92 KB

Minutes:

The minutes were approved.

113.

Safe & Secure presentation

Minutes:

Nicky Hill, Senior Programme Manager at the Safer London Foundation, an independent charity which works with London’s local communities and young people to reduce crime and improve community safety delivered a presentation on one of their programmes called Safe and Secure. Nicky Hill explained that Safe and Secure was a pan London gang exit programme and that it was a unique and best practice model; the only one in operation in London. Nicky Hill stated that the target group of the programme were young
people facing serious gang related violence and who were also motivated to change. Nicky Hill provided some insight into how the programme worked; specialist support providers mentored the young person and ensured that they addressed the issues which drew them back into involvement with gangs. If all partners involved agreed that there was motivation to stay away from gangs; young people and where appropriate, their families, were then moved permanently to a new home in a safe area. Nicky Hill stated that they worked closely with g15 housing associations to provide access to vacant properties for temporary accommodation and then worked with Local Authorities to find safe permanent residency.

 

Comments and questions:

 

·        Laura MacLehose asked what happened in a case where a person commits a gang related activity whilst on the programme. Nicky Hill stated that this would be a breach and the person could be removed from the scheme and property.

·        Laura MacLehose asked whether the referring or receiving Local Authority paid for the costs. Nicky Hill confirmed that the referring Local Authority would bear the costs.

·        Chris Domeney asked if the programme worked with others as well as the young individual. Nicky Hill confirmed that they also worked with families and cases where it was appropriate they would also move the family with the individual to a safe place.

·        Chris Domeney asked what attempts were made to safeguard confidentiality. Nicky Hill stated that some boroughs retained case responsibilities whilst others transferred cases at the point of when individuals were moved to another borough but overall it was up to local discretion.

·        Andrew Hillas stated that although Hounslow may not necessarily have many gang related cases there were however individuals who had links with gangs outside of the borough therefore advised members not to be complacent with the situation. Andrew Hillas stated that he was impressed by the programme and felt it was important to have excellent communication between all of the partners involved.

·        Nigel Farmer asked about services relevant for women and young girls who were being exploited by gangs. Nicky Hill confirmed that the Safer London Foundation also had a specific programme for this group called EMPOWER which was a support programme addressing young women’s experiences of sexual violence and exploitation, primarily through gang activity. Currently nine boroughs across London had these programmes available with two main hubs in Hackney and Croydon.

·        Nigel Farmer asked how many boroughs had initiated the Safe and Secure programme and asked about the next steps with  ...  view the full minutes text for item 113.

114.

Transformation of Rehabilitation (Andrew Hillas)

Minutes:

Andrew Hillas provided an updated on the transformation on rehabilitation services. Andrew confirmed that the changes did not affect the operational services in the borough. Andrew Hillas confirmed that the two new services; National Probation Service and Community Rehabilitation Company, were to go live on 1 June 2014. Andrew Hillas also provided details on the two representatives from the two new organisations who will become members of the CSP Board; James Jolly, Assistant Chief Officer of NPS Hounslow and Kingston/Richmond and the Assistant Chief Officer for CRC Hounslow and Hillingdon which was currently a vacant position. Andrew Hillas also informed the members that this would be his last CSP Board meeting as he was leaving his post for a new role. Andrew Hillas thanked everyone for their support.  

 

On behalf of the CSP Board, Stuart Low thanked Andrew Hillas for all of the work that he and his team had done and wished him well in his new role.

 

 

 

115.

Hounslow Safer Neighbourhood Board (currently Hounslow CPCG)

Minutes:

Nigel Farmer provided a short brief on the establishment of Safer Neighbourhood Boards (SNBs) beginning with the Mayor Boris Johnson’s manifesto in 2012 which included public safety and community engagement. This required the Mayor to obtain views from the public and victims about matters concerning the police which led to the proposed SNBs which would replace the existing Community Police Consultative Groups (CPCGs). Nigel Farmer listed a few of the aims of the new SNB model including establishing policing priorities in the borough, hearing and monitoring complaints from victims, etc. Nigel Farmer provided an update on the current status of the transformation of the Hounslow CPCG into a SNB; the Proposal of Hounslow SNB had been produced however there were some issues around the membership of the new body. Nigel Farmer was looking forward to meeting with the CPCG Executive Steering Group soon to resolve some of the issues. Chris Benson from MOPAC also confirmed that the proposed membership for Hounslow SNB was too large and needed to be reduced. Chris Benson also confirmed that he shall be meeting with the CPCG Executive Steering Group soon to ensure that the proposal was agreed and approved. Hounslow SNB would be implemented and go live by 1 April 2014.

Comments and questions:

·        C I Rob Weir stated that the total membership which was being suggested as too large by Nigel Farmer and Chris Benson may contain statutory members who should not be counted in the total membership of the SNB.

·        Satvinder Buttar suggested that the CSP Board would have a more prominent role to play as the Hounslow SNB was established. Satvinder Buttar suggested that Hounslow SNB could hold the CSP Board to account. Satvinder Buttar stated that other boroughs were using SNBs as scrutiny panels for CSP Boards.

 

 

 

 

116.

Membership of CSP Board

Minutes:

Councillor Mayne stated that he had been attending the CSP Board meetings regularly for a few years now and questioned the effectiveness of the meetings. Councillor Mayne felt that it was a good opportunity to review how the CSP Board operates and decisions were taken whilst the Hounslow SNB was being set up. Councillor Mayne highlighted the lack of contribution from partners, lack of attendance from key members, lack of robust data and open discussions without any formal decision making process.

 

Stuart Low stated that discussions on the CSP Board membership had taken place at the previous CSP Implementation (CSP-I) Group meeting with the five statutory bodies and similar concerns were raised.

 

Chris Domeney agreed with Councillor Mayne’s observation. Chris Domeney stated that it was fundamental to ensure that the CSP Board priorities reflected priorities as set out by MOPAC; that robust data was available and that access to a central funding pot was available for proposed projects.

 

Councillor Mayne suggested a reduction in the number of CSP Board meetings per year, perhaps one or two, and to increase the amount of CSP-I Group meetings to use the latter meetings to aid decision making and improve partnership working. Councillor Mayne also suggested a new dataset. 

 

Nigel Farmer confirmed that he had begun work on reviewing the effectiveness of the CSP Board. Nigel Farmer agreed that it was an ideal time to review mechanisms of CSP Boards as the Hounslow SNB was being formed. Nigel Farmer suggested cross fertilisation of work across both bodies and agreed to have a mechanism in place to scrutinise the work of the CSP Board.

 

C I Rob Weir that there had been some improvement. For example this year targets were introduced in the Outcomes Action Plan. C I Rob Weir stated that Hounslow Police had access to daily data which could be supplied with ease if needed and supported the initiative to have less CSP Board meetings and more regular and active CSP-I meetings.

 

Satvinder Buttar felt that it was important to appreciate the time of when CSP Boards were established which was during a time when Local Authorities had huge investments available which probably made them more effective at that time. However this was no longer the case and therefore to make the CSP Board more productive it would have to change and adapt to the current situation.

 

Chris Domeney suggested having sub-groups of the CSP Board which would be determined by the different sets of outcomes that could report to the CSP Board. For example, the Youth Crime Management Group could report to the CSP Board and drive forward the youth strategy.

 

Paul Durham from the Young Offender Institution Feltham stated that it was statutory to attend the CSP Board however it was difficult at times to contribute as he was representing a community within a community.

 

David Allum, from Hounslow Homes, stated that the organisation he was representing was essentially a frontline service and therefore his attendance was not necessary.

 

Representative  ...  view the full minutes text for item 116.

117.

Update on 2013-14 Q3 CSP Outcomes Action Plan

·        2013-14 Q3 Outcomes Action Plan to follow

Minutes:

C I Rob Weir stated that there was 25 per cent drop in residential burglary and ten per cent reduction in violence with injury. In the other crime types there had been an overall five per cent reduction. C I Rob Weir acknowledged that improvements were needed and stated that initiatives were being planned to meet and exceed targets. However C I Rob Weir confirmed that the statistics of Hounslow were one of the best in London in comparison to other boroughs. In regards to Anti Social Behaviour (ASB), Hounslow Police have implemented an ASB desk which monitors reported ASB 7 days per week and follows up every incident with calls. Repeat callers for ASB fell by 12 per cent. C I Rob Weir also stated that an application for a dispersal order was being made for Clayponds.

 

In regards to the development of partnership strategic plan to reduce road traffic fatalities, it was agreed that Nigel Farmer would consult with Mark Frost and Laura MacLehose about this and provide an update at the next CSP Board meeting.

 

Action:

i.                    Nigel Farmer to liaise with Mark Frost about the outcome on reducing road traffic fatalities.

ii.                  Laura MacLehose to share relevant information on this outcome with Nigel Farmer and Mark Frost.

 

Nigel Farmer confirmed that the Mayor launched a revised pan-London Strategy on Violence Against Women Girls (VAWG) Strategy in November 2013 to build upon the success of his previous strategy therefore the London Borough of Hounslow will review and amend it’s strategy accordingly. There was ongoing work on the development of Prostitution Strategy and baseline data on VAWG was being established.

 

Stuart Low stated all targets had been met expect Home Fire Safety Visits which was five per cent below target because of the diversion of resources due to the New Heston Road fire.

 

Regarding outcome on continue work to support cohesion between communities, reduce hate crimes and support prevention of harm to adults at risk, Nigel Farmer stated that work was being done to establish the targets for this outcome.

 

Chris Domeney provided an update on reducing incidents of Serious Youth Violence. Chris Domeney stated that across London there was discrepancy between Police National Computer (PNC) data and local data and that a PNC check was scheduled for November 2014. Deter Young Offenders (DYO) were those young offenders assessed as posing the highest risk of causing serious harm to others and likelihood of re-offending. The number of offences per DYOs was decreasing during the quarter.

 

Laura MacLehose stated that alcohol licensing was going well and that a meeting on violent injuries data recording project was being held in due course and that data on violent injuries will be reported at the next CSP Board meeting.

 

Andrew Hillas stated that there had been two main developments. Integrated Offender Management (IOM) had been made more consistent in the borough with local priorities aligned to central IOM expectations and all targets had been met. Andrew Hillas acknowledged the work and  ...  view the full minutes text for item 117.

118.

Date of next meeting: 15 May 2014

119.

Any Other Business

Any other items which the Chair accepts for consideration on the grounds of urgency

Minutes:

C I Rob Weir stated that internal changes at Hounslow Police were expected in February 2014. The changes made would be to the borough intelligence which was traditionally collated and analysed by a local data analyst; it would now be done remotely.