Hounslow Council


Agenda and minutes

Venue: Committee Room 1, Civic Centre, Lampton Road, Hounslow. View directions

Contact: Farah Irfan-Khan on 020 8583 2075 or by email at  farah.irfan-khan@hounslow.gov.uk 

Items
No. Item

101.

Welcome and Apologies for Absence

Minutes:

Apologies were received from David Allum, Sarah Burton, Paul Durham, Councillor Bradley Fisher, Mary Harpley and Councillor Shantanu Rajawat.

 

The Chair welcomed new members Laura MacLehose, Interim Consultant in Public Health and Dr Sohail Bhatti, Director of Public Health. Kevin Thompson, Enforcement Team Leader, was also present on behalf of Community Services to provide an update on Agenda Item 3.

 

 

102.

Minutes of the meeting held on 18 July 2013 & Matters Arising pdf icon PDF 24 KB

Minutes:

The minutes were approved.

 

The following matters arising were addressed:

 

·        Minute 93: Progress was made with locating Victim Support office at Hounslow Police station. Liz Gaffney stated that the next step was to negotiate with the MPS as to what resources were required to operate the office.

·        Minute 94: Liz Gaffney confirmed attendance at the Police Total Victim Care meetings.

·        Minute 95: Brendon Walsh stated that the London Borough of Hounslow (LBH) regeneration scheme had taken a giant leap forward as the developers of the scheme were chosen at a cabinet meeting. After a rigorous procurement exercise Barratt and Wilson Bowden were chosen as the developers. However in order to allow suppliers to challenge effectively there was a standstill period until next week. The scheme was to begin next year with over a £100m investment. Brendon Walsh stated that he was hopeful that this development was going to benefit the economy in Hounslow.

 

 

 

 

 

 

103.

New Heston Road Fire & Rogue Landlords (Kevin Thompson)

Minutes:

Kevin Thompson stated that the Private Sector Housing Team was tasked to investigate whether any crime was involved in the tragic event that took place on New Heston Road on 10 July 2013. The investigation took place the morning after the incident to determine whether there was multiple occupation at the flat and if this was the case, whether a license had been issued for House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) and the implementation of relevant fire safety precautions. Various interviews were conducted and it was concluded that offences had occurred which resulted in the tragic event. Similar properties were also inspected during this investigation. Kevin Thompson added that he will inform the board if any legal action was taken. Kevin Thompson stated that a report is being complied for the cabinet to review on plans to extend the HMO licensing scheme to cover homes that have been converted into HMO as currently licences were only needed for larger HMOs, and some smaller properties in 5 of the 20 council wards in the borough. The council wants to extend this pilot across the borough, and wants to include poorly converted flats that are outside the current licensing scheme.

In regards to illegal outbuildings, also referred to as beds in sheds, 49 street surveys in 6 wards were carried out, 4188 properties were visited 22% of which were still being investigated and114 enforcement notices were given. They have so far come across 7% occupied dwellings and have had 2 successful prosecutions with 8 cases pending.

 

Kevin Thompson concluded that good progress has been made and further street surveys will take place as well as stock modelling which has proven to be 70% accurate and ensures that the team is more proactive with its initiatives.

 

Comments and questions:

·        Regarding the likelihood of an increase in similar cases; Kevin Thompson responded that currently the rate of using private rented sector was increasing and therefore it was likely that shared accommodation was taking place in some properties where HMO license had not been issued putting occupants at high risk of such incidents. Kevin Thompson stated that stock modelling was being used to identify the most risky properties.

·        Member of the group asked what happens to tenants who are removed from illegal outbuildings; Kevin Thompson stated that these people are referred to the Crucial Housing Team.

 

Action:                                                                                                         Nigel Farmer and Kevin Thompson to meet to discuss regulations and issues around furniture and furnishings in HMOs.

 

 

 

104.

GPS Tagging (DCS Carl Bussey) pdf icon PDF 81 KB

Minutes:

DCS Bussey explained that various innovative initiatives were being implemented in Hounslow to reduce crime, one of which was an evidence based Global Positioning System (GPS) tagging operation with the support from the LBH and Probation Services. This technology allows the tracking of tags operated via GPS which was widely used in the USA. The GPS provides constant surveillance of offenders and can track an offender’s precise location which can support reactive investigations identifying potential suspects/recidivists or eliminating them from an enquiry. It was also a perfect rehabilitation opportunity for offenders as it provided a constant reminder and psychological reinforcement if they were ever tempted to reoffend. A key element was that the operation called Operation Telstar works on a voluntary basis and ensures that participating individuals were fully consented and that they were willing to receive some form of rehabilitation to change their lifestyle. The costs per tag was £200 per month however compared to the costs of crime it was deemed cost-effective. DCS Bussey confirmed that the effectiveness of the operation was subject to ongoing review and that data will be presented on a quarterly basis.

 

Comments & questions:

 

·        Brendon Walsh asked how long the tag should be kept on to which DCS Bussey responded that there was no set period and was dependent on individual cases but the maximum period was 9 months

·        Dr Sohail Bhatti suggested that the psychological impact of wearing the tag can be prolonged by providing the offenders with a rubber band to replace the tag after its removal which would act as a constant reminder that the offender was being ‘watched’ and may continue to deter them from reoffending.

 

 

105.

Successes of 2013 ASB Summer Initiative (C I Rob Weir)

Minutes:

C I Rob Weir delivered a presentation on the successes of the anti-social behaviour (ASB) Summer Initiative which was undertaken to improve public confidence as it was found that although crime levels were being reduced; the level of public confidence was low in the borough. Estate Police Officers were funded by LBH to visit places such as Convent Way to speak to locals about their concerns around ASB and gather information. ASB hotspots were identified and this information was shared with youth workers so that they could visit these places and encourage young people to take up other activities. To add to this Chris Domeney stated that a lot of young people were interested in taking part in work or projects to tackle ASB issues.   The Communication Team played a vital role by using Twitter to publicise the initiative and producing a poster which was displayed in parts of the borough such as the high street. Nigel Farmer stated that alcohol related litter was being targeted and Councillor Mayne stated ASB matters were a priority for Councillor Ellar and Councillor Mayne for example Hounslow residents have been urged to sign a petition to support a public ban on spitting across the borough. The council needs to demonstrate public support for a government approved by-law, in order to introduce the ban and needs to receive 3000 petitions. Councillor Mayne stated that they also need to work with Hounslow Highways to enforce relevant laws.

 

Action:

C I Rob Weir will liaise with Chris Domeney about receiving support and resources from the Youth Offending Service for proposed ASB initiatives

 

 

 

106.

Hounslow Integrated Offender Management Update (Andrew Hillas)

Minutes:

Andrew Hillas delivered a presentation on the multi-agency Hounslow Integrated Offender Management (IOM). Andrew Hillas stated that it was a Home Office initiative which was set up in 2011 to reduce reoffending. Andrew Hillas stated that it mainly works with offenders who have had unsettled lives resulting in lifestyles which involved gambling and illegal substance misuse.  Offenders who received short prison sentence often received no support but they were now and the best strategy to reduce reoffending was to assist offenders with obtaining paid employment. Andrew Hillas added that the service also benefits from the fact that there is a demand for unskilled people in this borough and also stated that they were expanding the use of restorative justice.

 

Comments and questions:

·        Laura MacLehose offered support and advice on any issues to do with substance misuse.

·        It was commented by Brendon Walsh that it was important to have a good relationship with local employers and offered to support this initiative if needed.

·        Dr Sohail Bhatti stated that in a needs assessment for another London borough it was found that in order to reduce reoffending it was important to tackle issues such as employment, housing, health problems and relationships. Andrew Hillas agreed and stated that having strong relationships was a great stabiliser.

·        Chris Domeney stated that young offenders were managed by Youth Offending Service and the agreement was that high profile or an offender approaching 18 accesses adult services or IOM.

 

107.

2013-14 Q2 CSP Outcomes Action Plan pdf icon PDF 100 KB

Minutes:

Nigel Farmer stated that there were 5 themes that contribute to the main CSP strategy; Promoting Safer Neighbourhoods and Town Centres, Safer, Cohesive Communities and Safeguarding Vulnerable People, Protecting Young People, Reducing Drug and Alcohol Related Crime and Ill Health and Reducing Re-offending.

 

Rob Weir discussed data on reducing neighbourhood crimes by stating that there had been an overall reduction of 20% in the 7 crimes identified by MOPAC crime plan 2013-16. There had been a reduction of 8% in anti-social behaviour which was promising however more work was needed to improve public confidence.

 

Aled Richards discussed data around targeted road safety and the new 20mph speed limit zones covering 17 Infant/Junior/Primary schools. Phase 1 consultation for 20mph speed limit zones began in October 2013 and was due to finish by 15 November 2013. Aled Richards confirmed that a good response was received and if approved the construction of the new 20mph speed limit zones will begin early 2014. Dr Sohail Bhatti made the suggestion to retrieve data from the London Ambulance Service in order to identify fatality hotspots.

 

Action:

Mark Frost to be contacted to confirm the target for Development of Partnership Strategic Plan to Reduce Road Traffic Fatalities which should align with MOPAC’s target

 

Nigel Farmer confirmed that work has begun with support from Laura MacLehose on domestic violence and a proposal has been made to begin a project around Female Genital Mutilation (FGM). 

 

Stuart Low provided an update on the data around the reduction of dwelling fires which was just below the target by 1%. Stuart Low stated that the New Heston Road fire had a substantial impact on resources and therefore this may have contributed to missing the target however better results were expected for next the quarter.

 

Nigel Farmer stated that the LBH Trading Standards team are currently managing several projects and working alongside other agencies to help protect vulnerable people and deal with rogue traders.

 

Chris Domeney stated that the incidents of serious youth violence has increased to 45 when compared with same period from last year which was 29 however Chris Domeney confirmed that there has been a overall decrease against all of the targets.

 

Laura MacLehose confirmed that the new Substance Misuse Commissioner has been appointed, Natasha Jones. Once commissioning complications have been resolved a new service specification will be developed. The Violent Injuries project is progressing well. In regards to exploring new ways of reducing the availability of high strength alcohol in the borough, a working group is being set up and work in this area will begin soon.

 

Action:

Sue Jeffers to hold discussions with Public Health team about priorities to be included in the Commissioning Intentions for 2014-15.

 

Andrew Hillas confirmed that work around the reduction of reoffending is going well with the recruitment of a full team, agreed priorities and selection of individuals and with the completion of the pan London consultation.

 

 

 

Comments/questions:

 

·        Chris Domeney queried how objectives can be set without baseline data and that it was  ...  view the full minutes text for item 107.

108.

CSP Information Sharing Protocol (Sarah Webb) pdf icon PDF 121 KB

Minutes:

Nigel Farmer presented the Hounslow CSP Information Sharing Protocol (ISP) which was intended to facilitate the exchange of personal information between CSP agencies and in particular the Change Log within the document which was to be reviewed and endorsed by the board.

 

Nigel Farmer also seeked views from the board about sharing the ISP with iHEAR Partnership which supports residents of Hounslow who have been affected by drug and alcohol dependence.

 

Resolved:

Members agreed to sharing the ISP with the iHEAR Partnership

 

Comments/questions:

 

·        Sue Jeffers suggested the inclusion of three of the following bodies of the NHS; NHS England, NHS Hounslow CCG and ___________

·        Under section 6.2, Who can be asked to-operate?, the members requested local GPs practices to be added to this section

 

Actions:

i.                    Sarah Webb to include the three NHS bodies and local GP practices in the ISP

ii.                  Due to organisational changes occurring in many of organisations members to review document in light of these changes and send amendments to Nigel Farmer

iii.                Nigel Farmer and Chris Domeney to work together to develop document on Safeguarding the Welfare of Children

iv.                 Secretary to liaise with Paul Durham, Feltham Youth Offender Institute, to provide feedback on the ISP  

109.

Date of next meeting

Minutes:

The next meeting will be held on 16 January 2014.

110.

Urgent Business

Any other items which the Chair accepts for consideration on the grounds of urgency