Hounslow Council


Agenda and minutes

Venue: Open Area, Lampton Park Conference Centre (Civic Centre), Lampton Road, Hounslow

Contact: James Winstanley by phone on 020 8583 2075 or by email at  james.winstanley@hounslow.gov.uk 

Items
No. Item

1.

Welcome and Apologies for Absence - 19:00 to 19:05

Minutes:

The Chair welcomed members to the meeting. Apologies for absence were noted.

2.

Minutes of the Meeting held on 20 May 2013 and Matters Arising - 19:05 to 19:10 pdf icon PDF 70 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The minutes of the meeting held 20 May 2013 were approved.

3.

Appointment of Vice Chairs - 19:10 to 19:15

To appoint the CPCG Vice Chairs.

Minutes:

The Group appointed Satvinder Buttar as Vice Chair and Mohammad Chaudhry as Vice Chair, following the withdrawal of another candidate.  Cllr Ellar was confirmed as the Area Committee representative on the Executive.

4.

New member application: Hounslow Multi-cultural Centre - 19.15 to 19.20 pdf icon PDF 2 MB

To consider a membership application from Hounslow Multicultural Centre.  

Minutes:

Members considered an application for membership submitted by the Hounslow Multicultural Centre. Members spoke in favour of the organisation and its work.  The application for membership was approved by the Group. Mr H.S Notay was welcomed to the meeting as its principal representative.  

5.

MPS Presentation: Local Policing Model - 19.20 to 1935

Minutes:

CI Rob Weir reported that the Local Policing model goes live on 16 September 2013.   The model had been designed to meet the challenge set by MOPAC and included a dedicated ward constable and PCSO.  Hounslow would be split into 5 police wards and officer would take a community engagement and crime fighting ethos. Members were presented details of each ward inspector.  

 

Mr Weir reported that the police contact points met strict requirements for opening times and access that were set London wide. Within these parameters contact points would be established in areas of high policing need.

 

The following responses were provided to members questions:

·         The police would need to meet with stakeholders to discuss how to address the misalignment between police ward boundaries and local authority ward boundaries.  The police wards were designed to meet requirements for operational delivery. 

·         Regarding the use of technology to accelerate police work it was reported that although technology was procured centrally Hounslow police had invested in head cameras for officers and were taking a scientific approach to call direction which would improve response times.

·         Police communications needed to be targeted to individual preferences taking into account cultural, language and technical issues. Policing required information and cooperation from the community and they therefore had access to human and technological resources which enabled them to work with diverse communities.

·         It was reported that a meeting had been arranged between the police and the NWA and SNP Chairs.  SNT Street Briefings were still taking place. There would be a fresh wave of community engagement which would utilise multiple media to raise awareness of these events.  They would also explore working through existing community organisations.

 

The Chair requested that information be submitted for inclusion in LBH Hounslow Matters and circulated to the group through the secretary.

6.

Police Progress Update pdf icon PDF 111 KB

  • Safer Neighbourhood Team Reports
  • Stop & Search Data
  • Complaints data
  • Performance data
  • Crime Maps

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Det. Ch. Supt. Bussey reported on performance improvements outlined on page 79 of the agenda pack. Residential burglary had seen a real time reduction and Hounslow was best placed among 32 Boroughs.  Mr Bussey was pleased with the figures which were the result of their new approach to doing business. They would continue to look at improvements, in particular by developing work on predictive policing. They had also introduced policing methods which involved deploying officers in tight geographical areas for 15 minutes.  It was reported that there had been reductions in many of the crime types and LBH had helped with CCTV. The key to future improvements was innovation and getting the basics right.

 

There was an increase in faith related crimes which were being monitored in great detail. The police were establishing links with all communities and were undertaking lots of visits and maintaining a high visible presence. Hounslow was strong on community cohesion but the police would work to ensure that the figures plateau.

 

Regarding the crime detection figures it was reported that, although they were encouraging, the police were determined to improve detection rates for public place violence and incidents at Feltham YOI.  It was reported that the police were looking at the victim’s journey through police processes to resolve issues that lead to them withdrawing before court, particularly in relation to hate crimes. They would look at what extra support could be provided.

 

The following responses were provided to members questions:

·         Domestic violence figures were broken down in a number of ways for analysis and they were looking particularly for repeat and vulnerable victims.

·         Many hate crimes were alcohol related public order offences.  Police aimed to intervene earlier in order to pre-empt escalation.  Licensed premises had been helpful in reducing incidents of alcohol related violence by actively encouraging people to go home.

·         The police had had success in tackling jewellery thieves targeting Asian residents homes particularly following the recent increase in officer numbers. However more needed to be done to educate people about prevention.

 

A member reported that there was a Hounslow Hate Crime Support Service which played an important role in helping victims through the criminal justice system. It was suggested that there was a link between the different hate crimes as they were all based on a lack of respect for difference. 

 

Members commented that officer numbers had an impact on results and public confidence.

7.

Police Community Consultation - Open Questions and Discussion (Group)

Minutes:

CI Rob Weir reported that the Police were bringing in a new method for capturing data on incidents related to street drinking. It was reported that they had not been as effective in the past on this issue but that they were working with the local authority on effective data capture. The information was being collated and the police would be able to report back to the Group.

 

Members said that it was not clear for some residents what the Controlled Drinking Zone meant for them and how it would be implemented by the police. CI Weir responded that the police would take a proportionate approach to enforcement and would target antisocial behaviour. Alcohol seizure would be the most common sanction.

 

Det. Ch. Supt. Bussey said it was important that the police were able to receive information from the public on issues in their area. There needed to be appropriate mechanisms to ensure a speedy and dynamic police response.

 

Sarah Webb, Community Safety Policy Manager reported that residents could contact LBH Community Safety Coordinators to report issues such as antisocial behaviour if they were not comfortable contacting the police directly.

 

Action

i.              Contact details for Community Safety coordinators to be circulated to the Group.

 

Cllr Mayne explained that the Controlled Drinking Zone did not make drinking in public a criminal offence however it provided the police with the necessary powers to deal with drink related anti social behaviour.

 

The following responses were provided to members questions:

·         A recent fire in Heston was still unexplained. Police were examining the evidence and there was a continued police presence at the site.

·         The detection rate for homophobic crimes was lower than the police would like. Most attacks in this category were understood to be non violent, alcohol related public order offences. 

·         Begging was a criminal offence which occurred mainly around the high street. The public was advised to walk away and avoid being drawn into conversation. The police were also dealing with ‘snatching’ and pick pocketing.

·         Charity collectors were licensed by the local authority but it was understood that there were conditions regarding their procedures and conduct on the street.  This was disputed by one member.

8.

Police Community Consultation - Open Questions and Discussion (Public)

Members of the Group or members of the public may raise matters regarding local policing. A more effective response can be provided if advance notice is given to the Secretary before 1pm on the day of the meeting. A question paper is enclosed with the agenda.

Minutes:

See Minute 7 (above).

9.

MOPaC Update

Report to follow.

Minutes:

Chris Benson, MOPAC Programme Officer reported that MOPAC had been through a restructure and there would be a stronger borough focus in future. He would work to form stronger links between the borough and police. A report was presented to the Group which provided information on CPEG funding, an update on Safer Neighbourhood Boards and a MOPAC consultation on tackling violence against women and girls. 

 

Members asked what the boroughs role would be in the transition to Safer Neighbourhood Boards and what can be done to establish a link between the SNB and the people it represents.  Mr Benson responded that MOPAC had been deliberately non-prescriptive in their approach to the transition to enable boroughs to design their own solutions.  He would meet with the CPCG, Chair, police and local authority to discuss their plans for the transition.

 

Members commented that there was limited time for this discussion. Liz Gaffney said that Victim Support would have a part in the future SNBs. Victim Support were represented in Hounslow and undertake visits in the Borough. Victim Support borough contacts would be circulated to the Group.

 

 Action

i.              Liz Gaffney to circulate Victim Support contact details through the secretary.

10.

Date and Venue of Next Meeting

23 September 2013 , 7pm, Hounslow Civic Centre  

Minutes:

The date and time of the next meeting was noted.

11.

Any Other Business pdf icon PDF 42 KB

Minutes:

There was no such business.