Hounslow Council


Agenda and minutes

Venue: Open Area, Lampton Park Conference Centre (Civic Centre), Lampton Road, Hounslow

Contact: Frances Nwanodi by phone on 020 8583 2064 or by email at  frances.nwanodi@hounslow.gov.uk 

Items
No. Item

27.

Welcome and Apologies for Absence - 19:00 to 19:05

Minutes:

The Chair, Mohammad Chaudhury, welcomed members to the meeting.

 

Apologies for absences were noted.

 

Mohammad Chaudhury commented that it had become apparent from discussing with other Group Chairs in the London-wide Chair’s Forum that the Hounslow Community Police Consultative Group (CPCG) was unique in terms of the support it received from the Council.  He extended the Group’s thanks to Councillors for actively participating in its meetings.

 

28.

Minutes of the Meeting held on 2nd July 2012 and Matters Arising - 19:05 to 19:10 pdf icon PDF 94 KB

Minutes:

The minutes of the meeting held on 2nd July 2012 were reviewed.  Under Minute 18, page 3, paragraph 2, the first sentence should read Det Ch Supt Bussey added that by tasking officers to work throughout their shifts....

 

Subject to this amendment the minutes were signed by the Chair as a true and accurate record of the meeting.

 

There were no matters arising.

 

29.

Update on the activities of the Stop & Search / IAG in Hounslow: - 19:10 to 19:25

Minutes:

C I Rob Wilson led members through the Stop & Search reports (agenda pack pages 54 to 68).  In July 2012 there had been 1,284 Stop and Searches and 882 Stop & Accounts in the borough.  He explained that Stop & Account activity was primarily carried out by Police Community Support Officers (PCSOs).  Thirteen new PCSOs were due to start in November 2012 and one more in December 2012.  There had been 3 Section 60s implemented in July 2012.  Section 60 meant the removal of discretion in relation to Stop & Search from frontline officers.  Section 60 had been used in Feltham during the summer when there had been reports of people moving round with weapons, knives and hammers.

 

Whilst the majority of Stop & Search activity was used to search for drugs, Hounslow Police were increasing its use for searching for stolen property. 

 

The arrest rate from Stop & Search activity was 7.2% in July.  The Mayor’s Office had tasked Hounslow police with a 10% target for arrests from Stop & Search.

 

In relation to the ‘Ethnic Appearance of People Searched per 1000 population’ (agenda pack page 61), C I Rob Wilson said that the data relied on information from the 2001 census which meant that once the new census data was available this report would be more accurate.  At present the data showed that black people were more likely to be stopped and searched, as were people between the ages of 18 and24.  The Independent Advisory Group was used to support Hounslow police and ensure that the right individuals were being targeted.

 

The following points arose from questions:

 

Neighbouring police forces did communicate with each other about on going operations.  For example, Ealing police had been carrying out operations to tackle drugs in the Southall area which had operational implications for policing in the area for Hounslow police.

 

It was confirmed that the majority of Stop & Search activity was based on intelligence data which had to be taken into consideration when analysing the data.  Intelligence data would either direct police activity towards targeting a specific profile of a person or a geographical area.

 

‘Going equipped’ referred to carrying implements to facilitate theft or burglary.

 

Once the latest census data was incorporated into the system the police would have more accurate data about the impact on Stop & Search on ethnic groups in the borough.  Stop & Search was an emotive issue.  Hounslow Police continued to work with local communities, listening to their concerns about its’ use.  CI Rob Wilson would be visiting local colleges for one two one and question and answer sessions about how Stop & Search was used.

 

There were drug barons operating in the borough.  How this was being tackled would be discussed in the following presentation.

 

There were fewer people carrying weapons in comparison to those carrying drugs in the borough.  However during the summer there had been two incidents with a perpetrator carrying a knife.  Police were more likely to receive intelligence about someone walking around with a knife than someone  ...  view the full minutes text for item 29.

30.

MPS Presentation on Tackling Drugs - 19:25 to 19:40 pdf icon PDF 589 KB

Republished with presentation attached on 3rd October 2012

Minutes:

Det Ch Supt Bussey delivered a presentation about Operation Hawk, a recent Metropolitan Police (MPS) initiative that he had led.  It was aimed at reducing drug related crime in London.  The operation had been run out of Scotland Yard and actively involved Safer Neighbourhood Teams (SNTs) in crime solving activities.  Moreover it had been implemented in response to community concerns about drugs in line with the MPS’ commitment to, ‘you said, we did’.

 

Operation Hawk had resulted in 457 warrants being executed with 351 arrests made.  Hounslow Police were on of the top performing boroughs, achieving:

·        24 warrants being executed, including a cannabis factory;

·        9 arrests

·        8 drug hotspots targeted and patrolled

·        2 automatic number plate recognitions (ANPR) operations on main roads into the borough

·        3 covert vehicles deployed specifically to target drug dealing

 

Det Ch Supt Carl Bussey commented that policing success depended on public information.  During the operation local households were leafleted so that residents were aware of why there had been police activity in their area.  Also, social media was used to keep people informed.

 

Det Ch Supt Carl Bussey added that it was important to get SNT officers and PCSOs more involved in crime fighting as well as keeping their community engagement role. Drug dealing was a big community concern.  To keep the impetus achieved from Operation Hawk, the borough had a daily performance expectation to implement one drug warrant per day.  This was an achievable target.  Hounslow police pledged to act on any intelligence they were provided with.

 

The proceeds of crime act was used to seize high-value assets that had been purchased with money derived from criminal activity.

 

The police helicopter support unit helped identify heat sources.  Also, energy companies had staff on standby to help make safe properties that had been booby trapped.

 

Throughout Operation Hawk due regard was given to ensure that the police acted within the law and in accordance with Human Rights legislation.

 

The following points arose from questions and answers:

Bedfont SNT was under-resourced with only one Police Constable (PC) and 1 PCSO.  Also, some of the elderly residents felt disheartened by the response they received from the police and their experiences with 101.  In response, it was noted that SNTs were the building blocks of the police.  Policing the Olympics and Paralympics had had resource implications and now police officers were taking annual leave which had been prohibited over the summer.  Also, the police service had to make budget reductions whilst protecting the number of frontline officers.  There was a commitment to returning SNTs’ staffing levels to two PCs and two PCSOs per ward.

 

Energy companies did pass on information to the police about properties with high energy usage.

 

The police did receive some intelligence from people who had detected cannabis factories by the distinctive odour associated with cannabis plants.  This information was dealt with sensitively to ensure there was no comeback to the informant.

 

Cleaning up and disposing of waste from closed-down  ...  view the full minutes text for item 30.

31.

Possible Hounslow CPCG Visits - 19:40 to 19:45

  • Members are asked to consider their preferences for potential group visits out of the following options:

a)                 Police horse training at Imber Court

b)                 London Air Support Unit

c)                  Fire Arms Training

d)                 Central Communications Command Centre at Hendon

e)                 Shadowing Police Officers in Hounslow

Minutes:

Mohammad Chaudhry asked members to use the meeting evaluation feedback forms to indicate what their preferences for Group visits were.  A decision would then be taken on what visit was organised.

 

Action:

        i.            Frances Nwanodi to collate members’ preferences for Group visits.

 

32.

Police Progress Update - 20:00 to 20:10 pdf icon PDF 94 KB

  • Safer Neighbourhood Team Reports (republished with Feltham North’s report on 3rd October 2012)
  • Crime Maps
  • Stop & Search Data
  • Complaints Data

Additional documents:

Minutes:

C I Rob Wilson reviewed the Police Progress reports (agenda pack pages 35 to 53) with members.  He highlighted that there was a burglary hotspot in Chiswick and an emerging one in Hounslow South.  However the latest figures going up to 16th September indicated that good progress had been made with a 2% year on year reduction and a 10% detection rate compared to 4% for the same time last year.   Also, arrests were being achieved by primary detection - the use of forensics and by arriving at the scene quickly.

 

On the other hand, as the days were shortening and Christmas was approaching the police were aware that there was usually a spike in burglaries at this time so the ‘autumn nights project’ had been initiated.  It included patrolling hotspots, giving out crime prevention advice; reviewing the top five offenders for burglary and using the grip and pace meetings to ensure at least one offender was being targeted every day.

 

With regards to street crime, there had been a spike in Chiswick and both Hounslow Town Centre and Hounslow West remained hotspots.  Sixteen extra officers had been added to the serious acquisitive crime team.  Also, fifteen officers were part of the Hounslow Town Centre Team which meant that there were teams covering the area until 2am seven days a week.

 

The detection rate for robbery was at 21% compared to 11.9% for last year.  Again, primary detection had played a key role in improving these figures.

 

Chiswick remained a hotspot for theft from motor vehicles.  The SNTs in the area had been tasked with reducing the number of thefts from motor vehicles.  They were giving out crime prevention advice and working with the Council to put up warning signs.  Police cadets were doing leaflet drops in the area.

 

There had been two recent most serious violence offences in the borough.  However, there had been a 2% reduction in assaults with injuries compared to the same time last year.

 

Two hundred and sixty-three knives had been put into knife bins across the borough.  The knife bins would be in place for a further 6 months.

 

Domestic Violence (DV) incidents had fallen.  Hounslow police had the best DV arrest rate in London.

 

The figures for homophobic crime were variable.  There was a need for continued improvement in crime reporting.  Victims needed to feel comfortable with reporting a crime had occurred.

 

Overall the total number of notified offenses was down by 3.3%

 

Det Ch Supt Bussey asked members to feedback if they would like any changes to the format of the Police Progress Reports that were distributed with the agenda pack.

 

The following information arose from questions and answers:

 

There were no particular items that were being stolen from vehicles, rather whatever had been left on display by the car owner was prone to being stolen.  Decoy vehicles were being deployed in Chiswick.  However in Feltham and Hounslow the general trend was that vehicle parts, for example catalytic converters, were  ...  view the full minutes text for item 32.

33.

Police Community Consultation - Open Questions and Discussion (Group) - 20:10 to 20:20

Minutes:

Cllr Collins commented that he had submitted some written questions that had not been responded to.  Frances Nwanodi explained that she had not received any questions from Cllr Collins and would investigate the matter.

 

Action:

        i.            Frances Nwanodi to trace Cllr Collins’ questions

 

34.

Police Community Consultation - Open Questions and Discussion (Public) - 20:20 to 20:30

Members of the Group or members of the public may raise matters regarding local policing. A more effective response can be provided if advance notice is given to the Secretary before 1pm on the day of the meeting. A question paper is enclosed with the agenda.

Minutes:

A member of the public questioned why people were fighting on a street in Isleworth and what he should do in such instances.  Det Ch Supt Bussey said that the best course of action was to dial 999.

 

35.

MOPAC Update by Tamsin Kelland - 20:30 to 20:40

Minutes:

Tamsin Kelland had been unable to attend the meeting and this item would be carried forward to November’s Group meeting.

 

36.

2011 - 2012 Hounslow CPCG Annual Report - 20:40 to 20:45

  • Report to follow

Minutes:

Mohammad Chaudhry thanked members for attending and contributing to meetings over the past year.  He recommended the 2011-2012 Annual Report to the Group for approval.  It was noted that on page 12 of the report the sentence referring to the Speak Out in Hounslow play should remove reference to it being delivered in conjunction with Mencap.  Subject to this amendment the Group voted to APPROVE the annual report.

 

Action:

        i.            Frances Nwanodi to amend the report as noted above and upload it onto the Group’s website

 

37.

2012 Hounslow Youth Crime Conference Report - 20:45 to 20:50 pdf icon PDF 484 KB

Minutes:

The 2012 Hounslow Youth Crime Conference report was noted.  Members AGREED to continue to deliver the event.

 

38.

Hounslow CPCG Small Grants: Submission Deadline 12pm on 28th September 2012 pdf icon PDF 119 KB

  • Item for noting

Minutes:

Mohammad Chaudhry reminded members that the deadline for submitting small grant applications was mid-day on Friday 28th September 2012.  It was noted that the maximum grant available per application was £500 and applications over this amount would be rejected.

 

39.

London Wide Update (including minutes where available) pdf icon PDF 144 KB

  • LCP2 September 2012 newsletter attached

Minutes:

Mohammad Chaudhry commented that whilst the Deputy Commissioner’s visit to the borough had been well attended by members of the public there had not been many members of the Group present.

 

40.

Key Forthcoming Dates for Noting

  • CPCG or SNP Chair training session:  27th September 2012, 18:30 to 20:30
  • MOPAC Challenge meeting open to the public:  2nd October 2012, 10:00 to 11:30

Minutes:

The key forthcoming dates were noted.

 

41.

Date and Venue of the Next Meeting: 7pm on 19th November 2012 in the Lampton Park Conference Centre

Minutes:

The date and venue of the next meeting were noted. 

 

Mohammad Chaudhry informed members that the Council was now seeking to charge the Group for using the conference centre facilities.  He requested that Cllr Collins speak to Cllr Mayne about the issue.  Sarah Webb commented that the Community Safety Team were in the same position in relation to organising Neighbourhood Watch Association meetings and other Community Safety Partnership events.

 

Action:

        i.            Cllr Collins to speak to Cllr Mayne about Lampton Park Conference Centre charges

 

42.

Any Other Business pdf icon PDF 42 KB

Minutes:

It was noted that the situation of people sleeping under the M4 bridge in Heston and finally been resolved.  The UKBA had led an operation with support from Hounslow police.  Sixteen people had been arrested.  The Highways Agency had boarded up the area to prevent a similar situation arising.   Charities had been involved to help with the issue of displacement. 

 

Homelessness was a pertinent issue in the borough.  The Hermitage had been occupied.  There were concerns that there might be problems under Bulls Bridge which had previously been boarded up by the Waterways Agency who were the land owners.

 

Hounslow Police would be working with the Council to tackle rogue landlords.

 

Sarah Webb mentioned that the Community Safety Team were holding a Reward & Recognition event in November.  Details about how to put forward nominations would be distributed by Frances Nwanodi.

 

Mary Macleod MP thanked the Borough Commander and his officers for the excellent work they had delivered in relation to policing the Olympics and Paralympics.  She added that her constituents would shortly be receiving a survey that included a section about understanding their concerns in relation to crime.

 

Mohammad Chaudhry extended the Group’s condolences to the MPS for the brutal murders of two officers in Manchester.

 

Action:

        i.            Frances Nwanodi to distribute information about the Reward & Recognition event