Hounslow Council


Agenda and minutes

Venue: Open Area, Lampton Park Conference Centre (Civic Centre), Lampton Road, Hounslow

Contact: Frances Nwanodi by phone on 020 8583 2064 or by email at  frances.nwanodi@hounslow.gov.uk 

Items
No. Item

116.

Welcome and Apologies for Absence (19:00 - 19:05)

Minutes:

John Rowntree, Hounslow CPCG Executive Member in the Chair, welcomed members to the meeting, in particular Nadeem Akhtar who was the new representative for the Hounslow Jamia Masjid Islamic Centre.  In response to a query relating to the membership and attendance of Ms Malhotra, the new Feltham and Heston MP, Frances Nwanodi, the Group Secretary, explained that Ms Malhotra’s contact details had not been available on the London Borough of Hounslow’s (LBH) website so it had not been possible to send out information to Ms Malhotra regarding her membership of the Hounslow CPCG.

 

Apologies for absences were noted.  Frances Nwanodi informed members that Andy Atkinson had been in contact and had thanked members for their concern.

 

Action:

        i.            Cllr Ellar to provide Frances Nwanodi with Ms Malhotra’s contact details

 

117.

Membership Application (19:05 - 19:10)

  • Isleworth SNP application form will be available at the meeting

Minutes:

Ernest Cooper, Isleworth Safer Neighbourhood Panel (SNP), left the meeting whilst the Isleworth SNP membership application was discussed.  It was clarified the SNPs had been set up across the 20 wards in LBH so that local residents could assist with the policing of their neighbourhoods.  SNPs did not have any political affiliation.

 

Members agreed unanimously to accept the Isleworth SNP membership application.

 

Action:

        i.            Frances Nwanodi to write to the Isleworth SNP confirming their membership on the Hounslow CPCG and update all membership records accordingly

 

118.

Minutes of the Meeting held on 14th November 2011 and Matters Arising (19:10 - 19:15) pdf icon PDF 86 KB

Minutes:

The minutes of the meeting held on 14th November 2011 were reviewed.  There were no amendments or matters arising and were signed by the Chair as a true record.

 

119.

Presentation: Speak Out in Hounslow by Jaspaul Vilkhu (19:15 - 19:25) pdf icon PDF 428 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Jaspaul Vilkhu, Speak Out in Hounslow, delivered a presentation about his organisation.  Speak Out in Hounslow was an organisation that supported people with learning disabilities to speak out for themselves.  This was achieved through advocacy and empowerment work.  Advocacy work provided one to one support to people with learning disabilities so that they were able to speak out and be heard.  Empowerment meant supporting people with learning disabilities so they could make a choice about whether to share their views.

 

Speak Out in Hounslow worked in a variety of ways, including drama workshops, peer information projects, outings and CCP (Campaigning Consultation Partnership).  CCP was Speak Out’s main project.  It involved telling people what its members wanted; asking people for their views and working together with partners.  CCP has resulted in Heathrow airport agreeing to install a specially adapted toilet in each of its terminals and Gatwick airport putting four adapted toilets in their terminals in time for the 2012 Olympics.  Also CCP has organised the Stop Hate Crime Campaign.  This included delivering a drama about Hate Crime in partnership with Mencap.  Work had been done with local schools on this issue with positive results and more training in schools has been scheduled for 2012.  The £500 Small Grants money from the Hounslow CPCG was supporting the Stop Hate Crime Campaign.

 

Members who wanted to find out more about Speak Out in Hounslow were encouraged to speak to Jaspaul Vilkhu during the break.

 

Acting CI Rob Wilson delivered a brief update on Disability Related Hate Crime (DRHC) in LBH in response to a request made by a Hounslow CPCG member at November’s Group meeting.  Any crime that was perceived by the victim to be related to the victim’s disability was subject to a special investigation by the Metropolitan Police Service (MPS) and the courts had a duty to increase a sentence for crimes that were based on a victim’s disability (section 146 of the Criminal Justice Act 2003). 

 

The MPS’ crime reporting system would flag any crime report that had been identified as a DRHC, thus ensuring resources were directed towards such crimes and the standard operating procedure for such crimes was followed.  Daily management meetings were taking place to monitor the progress made with DRHC cases.

 

The MPS had been working hard to break down the barriers to reporting DRHC as there was the perception amongst victims of DRHC that they would not be believed or they would not be taken seriously.  In Hounslow there were awareness training packages for police officers, especially for new recruits.  Hounslow Police were investigating the possibility of delivering training to carers to encourage the use of Third Party Reporting opportunities.  Hounslow Police was a member of the Hounslow Disability Hate Crime Forum and the Hounslow Disability Community Forum (DCF).

 

Speak Out in Hounslow and other organisations has successfully lobbied the MPS to adopt Mencap’s ‘Stand by me – police promise’.

 

The following arose out of a question and answer session:

 

The  ...  view the full minutes text for item 119.

120.

Discussion: Public Consultation following the August 2011 Public Disorder Incidents (19:25 - 19:45) pdf icon PDF 42 KB

Minutes:

Ch Supt David Bilson delivered a presentation about the findings from a public consultation in Hounslow following on from the August 2011 Public Disorder Incidents (agenda pack pages 27 - 30).  The key emergent themes from this consultation were that in LBH there had been a good multi-agency response to the situation and the Independent Advisory Group (IAG) had been used well.

 

The following areas were identified for strengthening the ability of Hounslow’s Police to respond to similar situations in the future:

·        Map where key community contacts were in the borough so that any gaps in coverage could be identified and measures taken to address this

·        Consider how to address the gap in local knowledge arising from SNTs being deployed across London, taking a way a key link in communicating with local people

·        Increase engagement with young people and organisations working with young people in LBH

·        Make better use of social media and learn how to counteract the use of social media to encourage criminal activity

·        Use the business networks in the borough that range from local to international

·        Develop ways for faith groups to safely protect their places of worship

 

A member observed from a visit to Tottenham following the public disorder incidents that specific organisations, for example the Job Centre, as opposed to local grocery stores, had been targetted suggesting that one reason for events was disaffection arising from unemployment.

 

At Central Government level, quarterly meetings were being held to follow up on actions arising from a Government report about the August public disorder incidents.  These meetings would monitor the progress being made relating to areas such as supporting complex families and ensuring that there were pathways to help people out of their challenging circumstances.  Mary Macleod MP commended Ch Supt Bilson and his team for the work they were doing in LBH. 

 

John Rowntree had attended a conference about tackling gangs and serious youth violence and would be happy to share his notes with members.  Three representatives from LBH had attended the conference.  There was an interesting account of how residents on the Stockwell Park Estate in Lambeth had successfully transformed their estate by their own efforts.

 

There had been many theories about what had caused the public disorder incidents some of which had since been disproved.  However the use of Stop & Search had been described as antagonistic and might have had a bearing on why Hounslow had not experienced problems to the same extent as other boroughs if it had not been used in LBH as much as in other boroughs.

 

Stop & Search was still being used in LBH, with officers trained to treat people with respect and dignity so as not to alienate members of the community.   Stop & Search had resulted in knives and other weapons being taken off the streets and it might prove a successful means for recuperating stolen property.

 

There had been concern amongst the community that they had been left unprotected when Hounslow Police officers had been deployed outside of  ...  view the full minutes text for item 120.

121.

IAG / Stop and Search Update (19:45 - 19:50) pdf icon PDF 72 KB

  • Report attached

Minutes:

The report was noted.  There were no additional comments to note as Stop & Search had been discussed in relation to the previous item.

122.

Police Progress Update (20:05 - 20:25) pdf icon PDF 250 KB

  • Safer Neighbourhood Team Reports
  • Crime Maps
  • Stop & Search Data
  • Complaints Data
  • Youth Crime Data
  • Disability Related Hate Crime Data

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Ch Supt David Bilson referred to the Police Progress Updates on agenda pack pages 71 to 119, commenting that he was disappointed with some of the data but the MPS had to tackle the challenges that such statistics presented.  The highest increases in crime had been experienced in relation to residential burglary and theft from motor vehicles with incident levels being at the highest they had been in the last 4 years.  On the other hand, there was some good news in the figures for violent crime, for instance most serious violence and assault with injury were down. 

 

Neighbouring boroughs were experiencing the same challenging trend with crime statistics and it was unclear what the drivers of these increases in crimes were.  It was not necessarily down to the recession or people not having enough money.

 

The year on year monthly statistics showed that robbery had come down in the last quarter (agenda pack page 82) however figures from the last week indicated that there had been a slight increase.  The year on year monthly statistics for residential burglary (agenda pack page 83) showed that residential burglary continued to be challenging.  The SNPs, Neighbourhood Watch Associations and SNTs were working together to tackle this.  There had been a restructure in the CID response as well.  The residential burglary map (agenda pack page 87) showed that Hounslow South and Central; and Heston continued to be hotspots.

 

There had been some high profile police operations including a drive to remove illegal cars from the road.  This discouraged criminality and had led to other crimes being detected.

 

In relation to street crime the overall volume was low with the focus remaining on Hounslow Central and Chiswick.  Theft from motor vehicles continued to be an embedded problem with high value vehicles being parked with high value items in clear sight. 

 

In response to a request from Hounslow Asian and African Youth Association, Ch Supt David gave a brief update on the level of youth crime.  Between October and December 2011, there had been 222 crimes with victims aged 19 or under.  96 of these incidents were violence related.  Youth crime offences tended to take place between 3pm and 6pm and were more frequent on Fridays and Saturdays.  Between 10 and 15 of these incidents involved the use of knives.  The primary hotspots were town centres and public spaces in particular in Hounslow and Feltham and to a lesser extent in Hanworth, Isleworth, Chiswick and Turnham Green.  Also, young people were becoming victims of crime on their school journeys with mobile phones being the primary target.  Three quarters of the victims were males between the ages of 15 and 18 years.

 

The following arose from questions and answers:

 

In the West Area there was an emerging trend of residential burglaries taking place when mothers left their homes to collect their children from school.  Also, cycling on pavements continued to be a nuisance and cyclists riding through red lights was both illegal and dangerous.  ...  view the full minutes text for item 122.

123.

Police Community Consultation - Open Questions and Discussion (Group) (20:25 - 20:40)

Minutes:

There was a request for an update about the major fire incident that had occurred in South Brentford.

 

Action:

i.                    Ch Supt Bilson to provide members with an update on the major fire incident that had occurred in South Brentford

124.

Police Community Consultation - Open Questions and Discussion (Public) (20:40 - 20:50)

Members of the Group or members of the public may raise matters regarding local policing. A more effective response can be provided if advance notice is given to the Secretary before 1pm on the day of the meeting. A question paper is enclosed with the agenda.

 

 

The following items are for noting:

Minutes:

There were no questions from members of the public.

 

125.

CPCG Funding for 2012 - 2013

  • 7th March is the deadline for returning the completed application for funding with the maximum grant available to the Hounslow CPCG being £35,437.50 down from £43,750 for 2011 - 2012

Minutes:

This item was noted.  Members thanked Frances Nwanodi for her work on the Hounslow CPCG funding application.

 

126.

London Wide Update (including minutes where available) pdf icon PDF 81 KB

  • Chair’s Forum Minutes of meeting 7th July & 20th October 2011
  • Letter from the London Assembly regarding the establishment of the Police and Crime Working Committee
  • The MPA will cease to exist on 15th January 2012 and will be replaced on 16th January 2012 by the Mayor’s Office for Policing and Crime

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The minutes of the Chair’s Forum were noted.

 

It was clarified that the Police Commissioner for London was a politician and not a police officer.  The Mayor of London had delegated this responsibility to Kit Malthouse.  Former MPA employees had transferred to the Mayor’s Office for Policing and Crime.  Whilst the funding for CPCGs across London was going ahead for 2012-13 it was unclear whether there would be any changes for 2013-14.

 

127.

MPA Newsletters pdf icon PDF 2 MB

  • ICV Newsletter, December 2011
  • Notes from MPA Olympic Briefing held on 7th November 2011

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The newsletters were noted.

 

128.

Date and Venue of Next Meeting - 7pm on 19th March 2012 in the Open Area, Lampton Park Conference Centre

Minutes:

The venue and date of the next meeting were noted.

 

129.

Any Other Business pdf icon PDF 42 KB

Minutes:

Members thanked John Rowntree for chairing the meeting.