Hounslow Council


Agenda, decisions and minutes

Venue: Committee Rooms 1 & 2, Civic Centre, Lampton Road, Hounslow. View directions

Contact: Irene Bowles Tel: 020 8583 2075 Email:  irene.bowles@hounslow.gov.uk 

Items
No. Item

74.

Apologies for absence, declarations of interest or any other communications from Members

Decision:

Apologies had been received from Keith Head, Trish McDonnell, Sylvia Panton-Chapman and Saskia Szokolovics.

Minutes:

Apologies had been received from Keith Head, Trish McDonnell, Sylvia Panton-Chapman and Saskia Szokolovics.

 

There were no declarations of interest or any other communications.

75.

Minutes of the meeting held on 10 May 2016 and Matters Arising pdf icon PDF 310 KB

Decision:

The minutes of the meeting held on 10 May 2016 were agreed as a true and accurate record, with the following amendments:

 

a)    Item 67(b) Housing Management Update

Jenny Samuel had handed in documents, not submitted them by e-mail.

 

b)    Item 71 Customer Service Update

The last line in paragraph one should read 4.5 minutes, not 4.5 seconds.

 

 

Minutes:

The minutes of the meeting held on 10 May 2016 were agreed as a true and accurate record, with the following amendments, and were signed by the Chair:

 

a)    Item 67(b) Housing Management Update

Jenny Samuel had handed in documents, not submitted them by e-mail.

 

b)    Item 71 Customer Service Update

The last line in paragraph one should read 4.5 minutes, not 4.5 seconds.

 

Members were disappointed at the new style of minutes, but were reminded by the Chair that the minutes would record decisions and the essential reasons behind them, but not questions and answers or discussion points of information.  Members were reminded that they could make their own notes, or record the meeting.

 

 

Matters arising from the minutes

 

i)                Item 67(a) Waste and Recycling

Members asked for clarification on eligibility for Council Tax Support. 

[Afterminute:  The Head of Revenues and Benefits has advised the following: Anyone can apply.  The criteria to assess entitlement to council tax support is concurrent with housing benefit legislation.  Each claim is assessed depending on household income, family composition and capital.  Anyone with capital over 16K need not apply.  Entitlement to Council Tax Support is not dependant on receipt of other benefits.]

76.

Hounslow Housing Update - Peter Matthew

Peter Matthew (Director, Housing) will give a verbal report.

Decision:

In response to questions raised by Committee members, Peter Matthew (Director, Housing) agreed to:

 

a)    Consider producing a survey for Leaseholders in January 2017, in addition to the Tenant Survey.  He advised Committee members that it was not mandatory to consult Leaseholders in this way.

b)    Arrange for T Browne to split afternoon time slots for appointments between 1pm to 5pm, and 5pm to 8pm; the current arrangement is between 1pm and 8pm.

c)     Check on the administrative process being carried out in respect of gas checks on council housing.  It appeared that calls to T Browne to re-schedule inconvenient appointments were not registered into the relevant system, meaning that “missed appointment” letters were generated.  After two missed appointments, there was a threat of legal action, followed by a telephone call from the Housing Officer.  Tenants were concerned that “black marks” were then levied against them.

d)    Continue to provide KPIs to members of the Committee.

Minutes:

Peter Matthew gave a verbal update on Hounslow Housing issues since the last meeting.  A directory of Housing Services would shortly be circulated to all tenants (including Leaseholders), to which would be attached a short questionnaire.  This was a pre-amble to the main questionnaire (Tenants’ Satisfaction Survey) that would be sent to tenants (not Leaseholders) in January 2017. 

 

The directory would be clearly and simply laid out in sections: repairs, rent, etc, and would be quite detailed in terms of personnel. 

 

In response to questions raised by Committee members, Peter Matthew agreed to:

 

a)    Consider producing a survey for Leaseholders in January 2017, in addition to the Tenant Survey.  He advised Committee members that it was not mandatory to consult Leaseholders in this way.

b)    Arrange for T Browne to split afternoon time slots for appointments between 1pm to 5pm, and 5pm to 8pm; the current arrangement is between 1pm and 8pm.

c)     Check on the administrative process being carried out in respect of gas checks on council housing.  It appeared that calls to T Browne to re-schedule inconvenient appointments were not registered into the relevant system, meaning that “missed appointment” letters were generated.  After two missed appointments, there was a threat of legal action, followed by a telephone call from the Housing Officer.  Tenants were concerned that “black marks” were then levied against them.

d)    Continue to provide KPIs to members of the Committee.

77.

Future forum updates and questions - Doug Goldring pdf icon PDF 108 KB

Additional documents:

Decision:

Doug Goldring agreed to send a written response to Carolyn Courage, with answers to questions received from the Tenants’ Forum. 

 

In response to questions raised about prostitution in the Convent Way area, the Chair and Doug Goldring agreed that they would raise residents’ concerns with the Police and other agencies.

 

It was agreed that questions from the various Residents’ Forums, that members wished to raise at the TLSTJCC, should be forwarded to the Clerk at least two weeks in advance of the meeting.  This would enable the appropriate Officer to prepare a full response, before discussion and further supplementary questions were taken.

 

The Chair agreed to look at the Terms of Reference of the Committee and ensure that these were circulated prior to the next meeting.

 

Members agreed that it would be useful for them to be able to communicate with each other between meetings; the Clerk would contact the Sheltered Housing Residents representatives to request permission to share personal e-mail details.

Minutes:

Carolyn Courage had sent in two questions for Officers prior to the meeting – one on anti-social behaviour and one on the different types of tenancy agreements.

 

Doug Goldring agreed to send a written response to Carolyn Courage, with answers to questions received from the Tenants’ Forum. 

 

In response to questions raised about prostitution in the Convent Way area, the Chair and Doug Goldring agreed that they would raise residents’ concerns with the Police and other agencies.

 

It was agreed that questions from the various Residents’ Forums, that members wished to raise at the TLSTJCC, should be forwarded to the Clerk at least two weeks in advance of the meeting.  This would enable the appropriate Officer to prepare a full response, before discussion and further supplementary questions were taken.

 

The Chair agreed to look at the Terms of Reference of the Committee and ensure that these were circulated prior to the next meeting.

 

Members agreed that it would be useful for them to be able to communicate with each other between meetings; the Clerk would contact the Sheltered Housing Residents representatives to request permission to share personal e-mail details.

[Afterminute: e-mail details have been shared with representatives from the three Forums]

78.

Resident Services Update - Doug Goldring pdf icon PDF 122 KB

a)    Tenants, Leaseholders, Sheltered

b)    Tenant Survey Results

Decision:

Doug Goldring offered to attend a Leaseholder Forum meeting to clarify the situation in respect of major works.

 

Doug Goldring agreed to provide additional information on how the marketing of Telecare (as an extension of the Linkline service) was being carried out.

 

 

Minutes:

Doug Goldring led members through his report (attached to item 5 of the Agenda pack)

 

Doug Goldring offered to attend a Leaseholder Forum meeting to clarify the situation in respect of major works.

 

Doug Goldring agreed to provide additional information on how the marketing of Telecare (as an extension of the Linkline service) was being carried out.

 

 

 

79.

Customer Services Update - Sue Austin pdf icon PDF 915 KB

Sue Austin (Customer Services Manager) will give a verbal report.

Decision:

Sue Austin advised that she was looking for volunteers to help test the new Council website, as well as an eye-tracking test.  This test would take approximately two hours, which identified which areas of the screen are looked at.  Members were asked to e-mail Sue Austin at susan.austin@hounslow.gov.uk if they wished to assist in this way.

Minutes:

Sue Austin gave a presentation on Customer Services, which had been uploaded to the Meeting webpage as a Supplementary Report.  She reported that the new Customer portal would go live early in 2017.

 

Sue Austin advised that she was looking for volunteers to help test the new Council website, as well as an eye-tracking test.  This test would take approximately two hours, which identified which areas of the screen are looked at.  Members were asked to e-mail Sue Austin at susan.austin@hounslow.gov.uk if they wished to assist in this way.

80.

Repairs and Estate Management update - Martin Greenway pdf icon PDF 1 MB

Martin Greenway will give a presentation.

Decision:

Members advised Martin Greenway that tenants received no communication in respect of Estate Inspections; Martin Greenway agreed to look into this.

 

There was some feedback on specific repair jobs, which Martin Greenway agreed to take back to officers.  Members were also advised to e-mail Doug Goldring (at doug.goldring@hounslow.gov.uk) if they had experienced problems.

 

 

Minutes:

Martin Greenway led members through his presentation, which had been uploaded to the meeting webpage as a Supplementary report.

 

Members advised Martin Greenway that tenants received no communication in respect of Estate Inspections; Martin Greenway agreed to look into this.

 

There was some feedback on specific repair jobs, which Martin Greenway agreed to take back to officers.  Members were also advised to e-mail Doug Goldring (at doug.goldring@hounslow.gov.uk) if they had experienced problems.

 

 

81.

Urgent Business

Any business which the Chair agrees to accept on grounds of urgency.

 

Minutes:

There were no items of urgent business.

82.

Date of Next Meeting

The next meeting will take place on 2 November 2016 at 7pm in Committee Rooms 1 and 2, Civic Centre.

Minutes:

The next scheduled meeting will take place on Wednesday 2 November 2016 at 7pm in Committee Rooms 1 & 2.