Hounslow Council


Agenda, decisions and minutes

Venue: Council Chamber, Civic Centre, Lampton Road, Hounslow. View directions

Contact: Irene Bowles Tel: 020 8583 2075 Email:  irene.bowles@hounslow.gov.uk 

Items
No. Item

66.

Apologies for absence, declarations of interest or any other communications from Members

Decision:

a)    Apologies for Absence

Apologies had been received from Ahmed Mohammed (Tenants’ Representative).

 

b)   Declarations of Interest

Ms Saskia Szokolovics advised that she was involved in personal litigation with Hounslow Housing.

Mr Abdul Alayoby advised that he was a part of two community companies (one for employment and one for affordable homes).

 

c)    Welcome

The Chair welcomed new Tenant Representatives.  She also informed Committee members that an ex-member, Chris Boucher, was unwell, and recorded the best wishes of the Committee for a speedy recovery.

Minutes:

a)    Apologies for Absence

Apologies had been received from Ahmed Mohammed (Tenants’ Representative) and Peter Matthew (Director, Housing).

 

b)   Declarations of Interest

Ms Saskia Szokolovics advised that she was involved in personal litigation with Hounslow Housing.

Mr Abdul Alayoby advised that he was a part of two community companies (one for employment and one for affordable homes).

 

c)    Welcome

The Chair welcomed new Tenant Representatives.  She also informed Committee members that an ex-member, Chris Boucher, was unwell, and recorded the best wishes of the Committee for a speedy recovery.

67.

Minutes of the meeting held on 1 February 2016 and matters arising pdf icon PDF 189 KB

Decision:

The minutes of the meeting held on 1 February 2016 were agreed as a true and accurate record with the following amendments, and were signed by the Chair.

 

a)    Item 52.2 Waste and Recycling, para 3:

Add:  Households receiving council tax support pay £25 per year.

 

b)   Item 52.2 Housing Management Update:

The first sentence should read – Jenny Samuel had submitted notes and results from a consultation committee with Ron Pettifer to Peter Matthew by e-mail.

 

 

c)    Item 57 Performance to December 2015, para 1 on page 12:

The first sentence should read – Carolyn Courage expressed concern about delays in communal repairs as some had taken six months.

 

 

 

Matters arising from the minutes:

 

1.    Item 52.2 Action point 2, Refuse collection on the Oriel Estate:

No response had been received to the query on bins on the Oriel Estate.  The Clerk agreed to pursue this, and provide the answer in the minutes of this meeting.

 

2.    Item 54 Hounslow Housing Update, para 2, page 8:

No response had been provided in respect of PFI proposals directly relating to Staveley Gardens. Doug Goldring agreed to pursue this.

 

3.    Item 54 Hounslow Housing Update, last para, page 9:

The Chair asked members to send details of addresses not receiving Hounslow Matters to Doug Goldring, who would ask the Communications Team to investigate.

 

4.    Item 57 Performance to December 2015, page 13, Resolution:

Ben Tomlinson had not liaised with Keith Head in relation to damaged caused by asbestos removal or water tank works.  Ben Tomlinson agreed to pursue this.

 

 

 

Minutes:

The minutes of the meeting held on 1 February 2016 were agreed as a true and accurate record with the following amendments, and were signed by the Chair.

 

a)    Item 52.2 Waste and Recycling, para 3:

Add:  Households receiving council tax support pay £25 per year.

 

b)   Item 52.2 Housing Management Update:

The first sentence should read – Jenny Samuel had submitted notes and results from a consultation committee with Ron Pettifer to Peter Matthew by e-mail.

 

 

c)    Item 57 Performance to December 2015, para 1 on page 12:

The first sentence should read – Carolyn Courage expressed concern about delays in communal repairs as some had taken six months.

 

 

 

 

 

Matters arising from the minutes:

 

1.    Item 52.2 Action point 2, Refuse collection on the Oriel Estate:

No response had been received to the query on bins on the Oriel Estate.  Afterminute: The Contract Manager for Supplier Performance has stated that only three streets are on the wheelie bin refuse service on the Oriel estate: Devonshire Road, Longford Close, Swift Road. The rest are on a bulk refuse service as they are not suitable for a wheelie bin collection.

 

2.    Item 54 Hounslow Housing Update, para 2, page 8:

No response had been provided in respect of PFI proposals directly relating to Staveley Gardens. Doug Goldring agreed to pursue this.

 

3.    Item 54 Hounslow Housing Update, last para, page 9:

The Chair asked members to send details of addresses not receiving Hounslow Matters to Doug Goldring, who would ask the Communications Team to investigate.

 

4.    Item 57 Performance to December 2015, page 13, Resolution:

Ben Tomlinson had not liaised with Keith Head in relation to damaged caused by asbestos removal or water tank works.  Ben Tomlinson agreed to pursue this.

 

5.    Item 58 Resident Services Update, page 15, first para:

Councillor Dunne advised members that she was meeting with Keith Head in the near future to discuss the support of more vulnerable residents in sheltered housing.

 

 

68.

Housing Allocations Policy - Liz Smale pdf icon PDF 162 KB

Minutes:

Liz Smale (Senior Strategy Officer, Housing Strategy, Investment and Performance) led members through her presentation, highlighting the changes.  The consultation period would run from 9 May 2016 until 31 July 2016.  The submissions would be collated from 1 to 19 August, and then considered.  A draft report would go to Cabinet on 11 October 2016, with a view to implementation in January 2017.

 

Following her presentation, Ms Smale, together with her colleague Aderemi Osadiya (Acting Head of Lettings and Sales), had a question and answer session with members of the Committee.

69.

Resident Services Update - Doug Goldring & Troy Francis

69a

Presentation on new structure and role of new housing officers pdf icon PDF 278 KB

Minutes:

Doug Goldring (Divisional Head of Resident Services) and Troy Francis (Interim Head of Area Housing) led members through their presentation, which focussed on the Area Housing Service, answering many questions.

 

Points for action were:

a)    A presentation will be received on “Repairs and Estate Management” at the meeting on 7 September 2016

 

 

 

 

 

b)    Residents should contact their Area Housing Manager if there were any problems that were not quickly resolved:

Ø  Central Area – Anthony Alexander: tel: 020 8583 4604; anthony.alexander@hounslow.gov.uk

Ø  East Area – Stavroulla Kokkinou: tel: 020 8583 4210; Stavroulla.kokkinou@hounslow.gov.uk

Ø  West Area – Suneeta Lakhenpaul: tel: 020 8583 4045; suneeta.lakhenpaul@hounslow.gov.uk.

 

70.

Hounslow Housing Update - Ben Tomlinson

70a

Performance - Q4 2015/16 pdf icon PDF 113 KB

Minutes:

Ben Tomlinson (Senior Transformation and Project Officer) advised that he had attended a meeting  of the Tenants’ Forum to explain the data in his performance report, and would be happy to attend meetings of the Leaseholders’ Forum and Sheltered Accommodation Residents’ Association (SARA) in the future to explain the performance data.

70b

Results of consultation exercise pdf icon PDF 133 KB

Decision:

Resolved:

1.    To note the results of the residents’ survey;

2.    To note that a report will be going to Cabinet in the near future on Estate Road Maintenance; further information will be brought to a future TLSTJCC meeting.

Minutes:

Ben Tomlinson pointed members to the key results on the report attached to Item 5(b) of the Agenda pack.

 

He answered many questions from members on the survey.

 

It was resolved:

1.    To note the results of the residents’ survey;

2.    To note that a report will be going to Cabinet in the near future on Estate Road Maintenance; further information will be brought to a future TLSTJCC meeting.

71.

Customer Service Update - Majella Sharma

Decision:

Resolved:

1.    That Doug Goldring (Divisional Head of Resident Services) would investigate the response that residents received when calling the out-of-hours service, as concerns were raised that residents did not always receive a call back, or that operatives did not turn up for many days in response to requests.

2.    That Majella Sharma would provide feedback statistics for attachment to the minutes of this meeting.

3.    Parking near sheltered scheme units would be part of the consultation on PFI roads at the end of May 2016. If there were any serious issues in respect of parking in emergency vehicle  spaces, residents should contact either Doug Goldring or the Chair.

Minutes:

Majella Sharma (Customer Satisfaction Manager) gave a verbal update on Customer Service.  She advised members that more than 20,000 calls relating to repairs had been received in the period January to April 2016.  The number of calls answered on time had risen from 76% in January 2016 to 85% in April 2016.  Resources for the service had been increased in February 2016, leading to a reduction in waiting times – the average wait for a call to be answered was 4.5 seconds, with calls then taking an average of 7 minutes to be dealt with.

 

Majella Sharma answered a number of questions from members.

 

Members were advised that a new Director of Customer Service had been appointed -  Victoria Lawson.

 

 

Resolved:

1.    That Doug Goldring (Divisional Head of Resident Services) would investigate the response that residents received when calling the out-of-hours service, as concerns were raised that residents did not always receive a call back, or that operatives did not turn up for many days in response to requests.

2.    That Majella Sharma would provide feedback statistics for attachment to the minutes of this meeting.

 

 

 

3.    Parking near sheltered scheme units would be part of the consultation on PFI roads at the end of May 2016. If there were any serious issues in respect of parking in emergency vehicle  spaces, residents should contact either Doug Goldring or the Chair.

72.

Urgent Business

Any business which the Chair agrees to accept on grounds of urgency.

 

Decision:

The Chair advised members of the Committee that there had been a change to the service provided by Committee Services.  This change would mean that much shorter minutes would be produced for this and future meetings, recording key decisions and reasons essential to the decision making process; discussions and debate would not be recorded.

 

Whilst Committee members were concerned at this change, the Chair explained that it was part of the savings that the Council had to make across the board, due to cuts to local authority budgets.

Minutes:

The Chair advised members of the Committee that there had been a change to the service provided by Committee Services.  This change would mean that much shorter minutes would be produced for this and future meetings, recording key decisions and reasons essential to the decision making process; discussions and debate would not be recorded.

 

Whilst Committee members were concerned at this change, the Chair explained that it was part of the savings that the Council had to make across the board, due to cuts to local authority budgets.

73.

Date of next meeting - 7 September 2016

Minutes:

The next meeting will take place on 7 September 2016 at 7pm in Committee Rooms 1 and 2, Civic Centre.