Hounslow Council


Agenda and draft minutes

Venue: Committee Room 1, Civic Centre, Lampton Road, Hounslow. View directions

Contact: Ian Duke Email: ian.duke@hounslow.gov.uk, 020 8583 2191 

Items
No. Item

29.

Apologies, Declarations of Interest or Any Other Communications from Members

Minutes:

Apologies/Absent:  Cllr Peter De Vic Carey, Cllr Sam Hearn, Cllr Tina Howe,                              and  Cllr Hanif Khan.

 

There were no declarations of interest

30.

Minutes of Meeting held on 28 February 2017 & Matters Arising pdf icon PDF 132 KB

Minutes:

Noted Cllr Lambert’s attendance at this meeting (recorded as absent in draft)

Minutes were signed off as a true record

 

Matters Arising: Noted that actions in minutes were to be raised with officers and response reported back at the next appropriate panel. 

31.

Parks and Leisure Services Performance Update pdf icon PDF 159 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

This is a follow-on from the October 31 2016 meeting when the service was only able to report on parks and open spaces due to time constraints.

 

Cllr Smart lead an update on the performance of the management, by Fusion Lifestyle, of the boroughs Sports centre and running track, 5  leisure centres,  and 7 community halls.  The contract, which will run until 2023, was renegotiated in 2016 by cutting the management fee to zero.  The officer team provided a comprehensive account of the pricing and discount strategy, and its approach to carrying out spot checks to ensure that Fusion were managing the various facilities to the required standard.

 

It was noted that there is little to be gained in Fusion not maintaing the centres to a high standard and keeping equipment in good condition, as failing to do so would inevitably mean fewer visits and less income.

 

Despite considerable competition from the private sector,  the Borough, through Fusion, have managed to increase the number of visits from 1.8million in 2015-16 to 2.01million in 2016-17.  At the time of this update there were approximately 10,000 members and 17,000 award card holders.

 

Councillors were encouraged to report, to officers, any issues raised by their constituents or that they had themselves experienced.

 

32.

Follow-up on Affordable Housing (from previous meeting) pdf icon PDF 404 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Panel had previously requested an update on the corporate pledge target of delivering 3,000 affordable homes in the borough from 2014-2018. In light of the pressures on social housing, the panel were interested in how the affordable housing building programme was directly and indirectly impacting on the council’s ability to house those in need.  At the 28 February meeting, further information was requested in relation to the Affordable housing building programme and in particular the impact on those most in need of social housing in the borough.

 

The following data was presented: 

·         Officers to provide a breakdown of need on the Housing Register together with the Lettings plan.  Comparison of the 2 will identify the gap to be filled by new-build affordable housing.

·         Officers to provide data on the net change in social housing as a result of Right to Buy.

·         Officers to provide the Milestone Matrix for Hounslow to qualify for Govt Grant.

·         Officers to provide further information regarding the location and size of affordable properties being built under the current programme.

·         Officers to provide further information about the enforcement of compulsory purchase and return to use of empty properties

·         Officers to provide an insight into their medium-long term strategy (beyond 2018).

 

There is evidence that there are few affordable 5/6 bed properties being built by housing associations due to economic pressures.

 

Right to buy is higher in those areas where the cost of council houses is lower

 

33.

Enforcement Services Update pdf icon PDF 159 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The last update from Enforcement was in November 2015.  The Panel was afforded an update from Cllr Sampson and Gerry McCarthy (Head of Enforcement) on the shape of the new Enforcement Service. 

Councillors discussed issues such as prevention of petty crime on council estate through community officers funded by housing associations, the update of the CCTV network, disposal of cigarettes and dog fouling

34.

Summary of 2016/17 and Forward planning: Reflection on the past years activity and proposals for draft work programme for 2017/18 pdf icon PDF 273 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

A review of the Panel’s work programme over the year was briefly discussed and a summary included in the Annual review of Overview and Scrutiny.

Looking forward, the Panel recommended that Homelessness be considered by the New Scrutiny Panel as well as suggesting it might be timely to Invite the Libraries service to report on its recent move to the Civic Centre and plans moving forward.

35.

Urgent Business

Any business which the Chair agrees to accept on grounds of urgency.

Minutes:

There were no items of urgent business.

36.

Date of next meeting

The next scheduled meeting will take place on 13 July 2017.

Minutes:

Next meeting is 18th October 2017