Hounslow Council


Agenda and draft minutes

Venue: Council Chamber, Civic Centre, Lampton Road, Hounslow. View directions

Contact: Email: jane.medici1@hounslow.gov.uk 020 8583 2064 

Items
No. Item

1.

Minutes of the meeting held on 14 November 2016 and matters arising pdf icon PDF 139 KB

Minutes:

Minutes of the meeting held on 13 June 2016 (agenda item 2) were agreed with the following amendment:

 

Penny Stephens advised that the budget for 2017/18 would go down to £5,600 and not £5,000 (item 6, page 2 refers).

 

Matters Arising

 

a)    It was noted that the clerk had not yet written to people, who had been absent for three meetings (item 3, page 1 refers).

 

b)    The clerk confirmed that the password had been emailed round to members for the NASACRE web site (item 8a), page 3 refers).

 

c)    Basil Mann referred to item 13 and advised that he would be happy to go into schools to talk and wondered how SACRE could do that. Penny Stephen advised Mr Mann that he contact the EIP and ask them to put in their bulletin that there are people willing to talk to children in schools about Judaism (Item 13, page 3 refers).

2.

Annual Report Foreword from the Chair

Minutes:

The Chair advised that he would be providing a foreword to the Annual Report.

3.

Membership Issues

Minutes:

Lesley Prior noted that the clerk would be looking at the membership list. She felt that nominating bodies should be consulted to see if they agreed that the same members on SACRE were representing them. She asked SACRE members to notify the clerk with their nominating bodies and it was noted that teachers were normally nominated by their trade union.

 

Resolved:

 

That SACRE members notify the clerk of their nominating bodies.

4.

Holocaust Memorial Day Report

Minutes:

Alan Crabtree and Basil Mann had attended and fed their comments back to the SACRE.

5.

NASACRE Matters

Minutes:

The SACRE noted that there was a conference in York on 16 May. Lesley Prior would be attending and the Chair asked Members to put their names forward if they wished to attend.

 

The SACRE noted that there was a day conference in Birmingham on 6 March.

6.

NASACRE Survey

Minutes:

It was noted that the link was provided in the agenda and SACRE was advised that they could use that link to complete the survey, if they wished.

7.

REC Commission Survey

Minutes:

It was noted that the link was provided in the agenda and SACRE was advised that they could use that link to complete the survey, if they wished.

8.

Local Events and Issues

Minutes:

Penny Stephen advised that there had been a Freedom of Information Request about visitors to schools. It was noted that neither the Council nor SACRE kept such information.

9.

Agreed Syllabus Revision

Minutes:

Lesley Prior advised that the SACRE would need to formally call for a revision of the Agreed Syllabus. She proposed that, in the summer, there be a meeting of SACRE, followed by a meeting of the Agreed Syllabus Revision. She also proposed a small working group, who would meet before the summer meeting.

 

The following points were made:

 

  • Penny Stephen advised that HLP had an assessment framework, which the SACRE may wish to use. She advised that it would be commonly understood by schools if it was used and it was agreed that she would forward Lesley Prior contact details for the HLP.

 

  • Penny Stephen advised that, for the sake of schools, the Revised Syllabus would need to be cross-referenced for their Ofsted inspections. Communications would be able to format the text for the Revised Syllabus, but there would be a cost. It was suggested that the Chair contact Communications about the cost of putting the Revised Syllabus on the web site.

 

  • It was noted that the Chair would need to meet with an officer from the Council to look at the budget for next year, but that this year’s budget could be used for some preliminary work. She suggested that a case would need to be made for an additional budget for the Agreed Syllabus Conference.

 

All four groups voted in favour of calling for an Agreed Syllabus Review.

 

Resolved:

 

a)    That the SACRE would formally call for an Agreed Syllabus Review.

b)    That Penny Stephen would provide Lesley Prior with contact details for the HLP.

c)    That the Chair would look into the additional costs for the Agreed Syllabus and the cost of formatting the text and putting it on the web site.

10.

Date of Next Meeting - to be confirmed

Minutes:

It was agreed that the date of the next meeting would be 23 May, followed by the Revised Syllabus Conference.

11.

Any Other Urgent Business

Minutes:

  • Lesley Prior advised that she had asked David Hampshire to do the lecture, but had not yet heard. She suggested coinciding the lecture with the Revised Syllabus Conference.
  • Lesley Prior and Jane Savill would establish whether Cranford would be hosting the Annual SACRE Conference.