Hounslow Council


Agenda and minutes

Venue: Committee Rooms 1 & 2, Civic Centre, Lampton Road, Hounslow. View directions

Contact: James Winstanley on 020 8583 2075 or email  james.winstanley@hounslow.gov.uk 

Items
No. Item

35.

Appointment of Chair and Vice Chair

Minutes:

The following appointments were made by SACRE:

 

·        Chair – Liz Wolverson

·        Vice Chair – Susan Roberts

 

 

36.

Apologies for absence, declarations of interest and any other communications from members

Minutes:

Apologies for absence were noted.

37.

Minutes of the meeting held on 6 February 2013 and matters arising pdf icon PDF 71 KB

Minutes:

The minutes of the previous meeting were approved.

 

Matters arising

 

Minute 15

It was reported that although the agreed syllabus was not available in hard copy but is available on disc and for download from HVEC. Lee Souter, Advisor reported that schools had been notified. 

 

Minute 30

Susan Roberts reported that she had been provided with a contact for issues around the RE content on HVEC. Members requested information on who was putting the information on the website and why they had not consulted SACRE on RE content. It was agreed that information should be brought to the committee to be checked and that the responsibility lay with SACRE.

 

It was reported that HVEC was a response to schools requests for a modern approach to education. There may be an opportunity to establish a SACRE page on HVEC and to enable the Chair or Vice Chair authority over those pages. 

 

Action

i.                    Lee Souter to conduct quick audit of RE information on HVEC to identify any issues.

ii.                  Lee Souter to report back to SACRE on HVEC.

 

 

 

 

38.

Application for Determination: Spring Grove pdf icon PDF 39 KB

·        Criteria for assessing determinations

·        Application for determination – Spring Grove

Additional documents:

Minutes:

An application for determination submitted by Spring Grove Primary School was considered by each group represented on SACRE. Each Group voted to accept the application and grant the determination.  

 

Resolved

 

i.                    To approve the granting of the determination exempting Spring Grove Primary School from the requirement to arrange for daily collective worship which is ‘wholly or mainly of a broadly Christian character’ (Schools Standards and framework Act 1998) 

 

39.

Update on Current Developments in Religious Education Nationally (Lesley Prior)

Minutes:

All Party Parliamentary Group on RE

Lesley Prior, RE Advisor reported that the All Party Parliamentary Group (APPG) on RE had produced an important report. The APPG had been galvanised by concern for RE at primary and secondary level and had heard evidence from expert witnesses. The report based on this evidence was called ‘The Truth Unmasked’ and could be downloaded from the RE Council website. Although the position for RE was a concern this was not necessarily reflected in Hounslow, although SACRE was advised to be mindful of the issues.

 

A member reported on the APPG ‘summer celebration’ which involved seven schools and highlighted the positive aspects of RE. Members said this event should continue because it is highlighting issues that have not been addressed including the need to communicate the value of RE and tackling misunderstandings about RE.

 

Ofsted report on RE

It was reported that the Ofsted report on RE was anticipated but had not yet been published. An Ofsted representative had delivered a presentation at the NASCRE AGM which was well received. It was suggested that the slides could be shared on the HVEC website with the representative’s permission.

 

Members considered the Ofsted report to be important in identifying issues with RE teaching and noted that it was likely to the last of such reports produced by Ofsted.  It was reported that a subject report on PHSE was anticipated which would touch on RE issues.

 

 

40.

Public consultation: Draft Programmes of study for RE (Lesley Prior) pdf icon PDF 356 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Lesley Prior reported that the national curriculum review would not include RE because RE was determined locally. The RE review had been financed by donations and managed by the RE Council. Members had been appointed to produce draft materials for key stages 1, 2 and 3. the draft materials were then submitted to the steering group.

 

It was reported that the document was in final form but would not be statutory and would not change provision of RE in Hounslow. There was nothing on KS4 or RE provision in secondary schools although in Hounslow there has always been high quality teaching.

 

The document reflects the legal requirement to give prominence to Christianity but fails to give prominence to the requirement to teach about other religious traditions. Members commented that this could result in a high number of Hounslow’s children having their faith ignored. Members considered that the document would not lead to a transformative view of RE that excite learners. 

 

It was agreed that SACRE send a response to the RE Council which reflected members views as expressed at the meeting.

 

Action

i.                    Chair to agree a response to the RE Council consultation

ii.                  Clerk to circulate information on the consultation and like to response website. 

 

 

 

 

41.

Feedback from the NASACRE AGM (Lesley Prior)

Minutes:

Lesley Prior reported that NASCRE had an increasingly important role in providing advice and support and also sharing information. The key note speakers at the conference were Alan Barnes and Mark Chater. Mark Chater spoke about the challenges facing SACRE and the need for RE to find a way forward in this context.

42.

Annual SACRE Sixth Form Conference (Lesley Prior)

Minutes:

The Chair reported that funds had been allocated by the Executive to hold the Sixth Form Conference. Members commented that it would be good to have a broad title for the conference and include workshops which stimulated thought and discussion.  

43.

SACRE Annual Lecture (Lesley Prior/Jane Savill)

Minutes:

Lesley Prior reported that the response to the annual lecture in 2012 had been very positive but it had been decided to hold the lecture in autumn rather than spring in future. Dates in September and October had been considered and guest speakers would be approached.

 

Action

i.                    Lesley Prior to proceed with arrangements for the venue, dates and guest speakers for the Annual lecture in September or October 2013. 

 

44.

Date of Next Meeting: 12 November 2013, 19.00

Minutes:

The date of the next meeting was noted.

45.

Any Other Urgent Business

Minutes:

It was reported that Steve Line, Head of Lindon Bennett School would resign from the Teachers Group of SACRE following his retirement. Mr Line was thanked for his valuable contribution.