Hounslow Council


Agenda and draft minutes

Venue: Committee Room 1, Civic Centre, Lampton Road, Hounslow. View directions

Contact: Ian Duke, telephone 020 8583 2191, e-mail  ian.duke@hounslow.gov.uk 

Items
No. Item

1.

Welcome and Introductions

Minutes:

The Chair welcomed members to the meeting.

 

2.

Apologies for absence, declarations of interest or any other communications from Members

Minutes:

Cllrs Chatt, Carey and Bath from the Committee gave their apologies.

Cllr Dennison gave his apologies

3.

Minutes of the meeting held on 3 October 2017 pdf icon PDF 172 KB

Minutes:

The minutes were agreed as an accurate record.

 

4.

Matters arising from the meeting held on 3 October 2017

Minutes:

·         Page 2: Cabinet Response to Task & Finish Group Review of VSCE Savings. This shall be dealt with at the next OSC on 22 January 2018.

·         Page 4: Update on Adult Social Care Performance Indicators. Clarity on the BPI 67 to be circulated to OSC. This has been circulated and a more recent set of data was considered by the new Performance Management Working Group on 15 November.

Page 5: Forward Plan. The Committee indicated an interest in receiving more information on CEX 184 Parks Transformation - transfer of the service to Lampton 360. This was considered by Cabinet on 21 November. Cabinet noted and ratified the decision to agree the early termination of the Carillion contract in April 2018. Cabinet confirmed the transfer of the Parks Service to a new subsidiary of Lampton 360 following the expiry of the existing Carillion contract in April 2018 and requested that Lampton 360 establish the new subsidiary now (recommendation agreed as amended). The Committee is due an update on Lampton 360 at its meeting on 22 January and can cover this in greater detail at that meeting.

5.

Minutes of the call-in meeting held on 17 October 2017 pdf icon PDF 251 KB

Minutes:

The minutes were agreed as an accurate record.

 

6.

Matters arising from the call-in meeting held on 17 October 2017

Minutes:

The Chair noted that following the Call-In on 17 October, the Cabinet met on 21 November to consider the 8 recommendations made by this Committee, which were as follows:

1)    Monthly reports on complaints to members;

2)    Monthly reports are published on the Council website;

3)    The Director of Customer Services and Communications to regularly attend the OSC;

4)    That Ward Councillors receive notifications of complaints;

5)    That publicity for the complaints, comments and compliments processes be improved;

6)    That a new measure is created capturing people’s satisfaction on how their complaint was dealt with;

7)    Further consideration is given as top how member oversight can be retained within two stage complaints process; and

8)    Greater engagement with Members and OSC in developing proposals around any model to retain member oversight of complaints.

 

Cabinet accepted the first six of these recommendations, and partially accepted the last two areas.


ACTION : Officers to circulate link to Cabinet report to OSC members

 

 

7.

Budget Saving Proposals pdf icon PDF 189 KB

Report by Cllr Theo Dennison, Cabinet Member for Finance and Citizen Engagement.

Minutes:

Nigel Howcutt (NH) introduced the item and noted that Cllr Dennison could not be at the meeting.

This report is produced every year and considered in the February Cabinet meeting. NH went through the report indicating how the savings gap has been addressed for the upcoming year.

Members raised the following:

·         There is concern at the level of detail provided in the report.

·         It was noted that these savings appeared out of context and questions were asked about what had been cut previously in these areas and the overall budgets for these service areas.

·         Questions were raised as to whether the savings would result in redundancies.

·         Concerns were raised on the impact on service areas.

·         Further clarity was sought on waste service running costs.

·         There was concern about the future savings gaps and the impacts in the longer term.

·         Questions about the impact on charities were asked on the changes to business rates, local levies and grant funding and further clarity was sought on the Revenue Support Grant

·         Clarity was sought on the cost of loans, borrowing and interest.

·         Concerns were raised on the uncertainty of expected saving going forward

NH clarified that the numbers presented are the net budget and indicted that efficiencies have been achieved through bringing some of the services in-house such as Library Services which provide savings due to economies of scale and the fact that commissioned services provide profits for the provider. NH noted that no library closures are planned. Savings have also been realised through the move of the Central Library from the Treaty Centre to the Civic Centre.

NH also provided an explanation of what the implication of reducing the reserve for maintenance means in practice.

NH explained how some of the savings from SpaceWaye will be realised. In the first year, costs for irregular hours and overtime will be addressed as the service becomes more embedded and streamlined.

NH clarified that the 2% ASC precept in 2018/19 will be used to cover the council’s pledge of maintaining the London Living Wage and to support local health and social care market demands. He explained that the risk of the ending of the ASC has been modelled. He noted that the end of the Better Care Fund is significantly more worrying.

NH indicated a review of Corporate Items has identified £600k. He clarified that this was identified by remodelling grant projections and inflows and the identification of rounding errors

NH provided detail on the London Pool Devolution pilot and how this would work with London Boroughs working together as an economic area to share the growth and invest in London as a whole.

NH noted that the Revenue Support Grant is reducing and will cease in 19/20. This has been modelled.

NH noted that the borrowing to fund capital expenditure and interest is a complex area and provided a brief overview of how capital spending works to enable liquidity.

ACTION: Cllr Dennison shall be asked to provide OSC with a report detailing the following:  ...  view the full minutes text for item 7.

8.

Forward Plan pdf icon PDF 2 MB

An A3 size hard copy will be circulated separately to Members of the Committee

Minutes:

Further detail was requested on

·         CEX211 and the process for allocating CIL funding.

·         Food Safety Plan - Single Member Decision

 

9.

Monitoring information - decisions taken under urgency arrangements

Minutes:

None.

 

10.

Any other matters that the Chair considers urgent

Any business which the Chair agrees to accept on grounds of urgency.

Minutes:

·         Request for clarity on the OSC schedule for next three months.

 

11.

Date of the next meeting is 22 January 2018

Minutes:

The next meeting is on 22 January 2017. Items proposed include

o   VCSE savings.

o   Lampton 360.

o   Performance Item – Customer Care and Complaints (referred from the Performance Management Working Group).

o   The new Civic Centre building works and associated risks.