Hounslow Council


Agenda and minutes

Hounslow Community Safety Partnership Board
Thursday, 26 January 2012 5:00 pm

Venue: Open Area, Lampton Park Conference Centre, (Civic Centre), Lampton Road, Hounslow. View directions

Contact: Frances Nwanodi on 020 8583 2064 or by email at  frances.nwanodi@hounslow.gov.uk 

Items
No. Item

35.

Welcome and Apologies for Absence

Minutes:

Fire Commander Stuart Low welcomed attendees to the meeting.

 

Apologies for absences were noted.

 

36.

Minutes of the Meeting Held on 3rd November 2011 and Matters Arising pdf icon PDF 66 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The minutes of the meeting held on 3rd November 2011 were reviewed and there were no amendments.

 

The following points arose as matters arising for action points not covered by the agenda for the meeting:

 

Item 29, Action Points:

ii.    Dr Mike Robinson had sent out a link to an information pack and guidance related to female genital mutilation (FGM)

iii.   Kirti Sisodia and Mary Crawford had met with Paul Durham, Feltham Young Offenders Institute (FYOI) and had hoped he would have been present to provide an update to the Community Safety Partnership Board at the meeting however as he had not been able to attend this would be deferred to May’s Hounslow CSP Board meeting.

iv.   Sabeel Khan, LBH Community Safety Team, had been liaising with Dr Mike Robinson, the Metropolitan Police Service (MPS) and Accident and Emergency (A&E) at West Middlesex hospital to assist Mary Crawford with the collection of baseline data for the Strategic Theme: ‘Reducing the Criminal Harm of Drugs and Alcohol’

v.   Kirti Sisodia had not received any comments about the format of the Single Outcome Agreements Action Plan

 

Item 30, Action Points:

i.          Cllr Barber had written to Ch Supt David Bilson about where the proceeds from cash seizures went but Ch Supt David Bilson had not received the letter.  Cllr Barber would resend the letter via email.

ii.        Richard Eason was working on a presentation on the 2010 Equalities Act

iii.      The next Hounslow Drug Alcohol Action Team (DAAT) meeting was taking place on 27th January 2012 and a decision would be taken at the meeting about what information regarding the Hounslow DAAT should be shared with the Hounslow CSP Board and a possible High Level Outcome focused on reducing illicit drugs and interdependencies

iv.       This depended on action point iii. being completed.

 

Item 31, Action Points:

i.          Inclusion of performance monitoring information about the Hounslow DAAT as a standing agenda item for Hounslow CSP Board meetings would occur from May 2012

 

Item 32, Action Points:

i.          Kirti Sisodia explained that the possibility of sharing the provision of an independent Chair for Domestic Homicide Reviews (DHR) had been discussed at January’s CSP I-Group meeting and at a meeting of CSP Chairs and Domestic Violence (DV) Leads from all the London Boroughs.  Also, advice from the Safeguarding Adults section in relation to their Serious Case Reviews had been sought.  As a result of the time involved in a DHR and the difference in numbers that neighbouring boroughs might have to deal with, it had been decided it would be more appropriate for the Hounslow CSP to appoint a Chair for a DHR on a case by case basis.  This meant that a small fund to cover the costs of a DHR Chair needed to be set up.  The Hounslow CSP Chair would be writing to the 5 Responsible Authorities, asking them to make a financial contribution. (The Metropolitan Police Authority (MPA) no longer existed and, although its powers had been transferred  ...  view the full minutes text for item 36.

37.

Update on Indicators from the 2011 - 2012 High Level Outcomes pdf icon PDF 81 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The theme champions that were present spoke to their reports on agenda pack pages 8 to 10.

 

Safer Neighbourhoods and Town Centres Themes:

Ch Supt David Bilson said that the Local Authority Policing Team was staffed and the contract would be signed shortly.  The team was based at the Civic Centre and was being tasked according to the identified joint tasking themes (agenda pack page 8).

 

At present there had been a 3% increase in Victim Based Crime although within this figure there had been a 3% fall in violent crime and property crime.  The increase had been a result of increased residential burglary and theft from motor vehicles.  Also, there had been a significant increase in the non-payment of petrol but this might be reclassified as a civic debt, removing it from the crime statistics.

 

Work related to anti-social behaviour (ASB), was continuing with the support of the 5 Neighbourhood Community Safety Co-ordinators and partnership working between Hounslow Homes, the MPS and LBH.

 

Safer, Cohesive Communities:

Information about the development of a partnership strategy and action plans to reduce violence against and repeat victimisation of women and girls was being covered under agenda item 4.

 

Kirti Sisodia commented that the Hate Crime Prevention Forum was meeting regularly.  There had been and were continuing to be a range of awareness raising activities to support reporting of hate crime, including information stalls at events.  A proposal to roll out the Keep Safe Scheme was being developed.  It was noted that the MPS was signing up to Mencap’s Stand by me police promise.

 

Fire Commander Stuart Low said that the Safe Drive Stay Alive production had been delivered.  There were ongoing discussions with Liz Knight to establish a road safety forum.  There continued to be concerns about road traffic violations around schools’ no parking zones.  LBH had taken over the enforcement of some traffic offences. 

 

Ch Supt Bilson said that a report that had gone to Borough Council had contained inaccurate numbers of penalty charge notices (PCNs) that had been issued by the MPS in Hounslow.

 

Protecting Young People:

The Youth Triage system had been extended with 200 plus young people being diverted away from the Criminal Justice system.

 

Reducing the criminal harm of drugs and alcohol:

Mary Crawford referred to the report on agenda pack pages 11 – 13 “Proposal to reduce alcohol related crime in Hounslow by routine electronic recording of key details of injuries and assaults at West Middlesex University Hospital Accident and Emergency Department”.  The report was based on Public Health Team research which highlighted two key issues – licensing and enforcement of licensing controls. 

 

This proposal had built on work carried out in Cardiff that had demonstrated the important link between A&E and the police so that hotspots for alcohol crime could be identified as well as any licensing and prosecution issues being tackled.

 

Dr N Lang had been working with Sabeel Khan and West Middlesex’s A&E department to find out  ...  view the full minutes text for item 37.

38.

Violence Against Women and Girls - Presentation by Permjit Chadha pdf icon PDF 172 KB

Minutes:

Permjit Chadha drew members attention to the draft strategy that had been circulated at the meeting and acknowledged Sarah Webb’s, (LBH Community Safety Team), contributions to the document.

 

Prermjit Chadha delivered the presentation ‘Hounslow Violence Against Women and Girls Stratey’ (agenda pack pages 14 to 23).

 

The following points arose from questions and answers:

 

The strategic intention was to eliminate violence against women and girls however although this implied a reduction in violence against women and girls, there would inevitably be an initial increase in this type of crime as the awareness raising initiatives would encourage more reporting of such crimes.

 

There was some concern about whether a commitment was being made to provide a range of services to tackle violence against women and girls (VAWG) for which there would no longer be adequate resources to sustain the services in the 2012/13 financial year and beyond.  Including the range of services in the strategy would not necessarily guarantee the commitment of resources needed to deliver the services however it might be possible to ask for the agencies delivering the services not to withdraw them without consulting with the Hounslow CSP Board.

 

It was suggested that there should be an initiative to map out what mainstream funding was available and what services were at risk of having their funds withdrawn.

 

The DV Court day had already been affected as the DV Court was being held on one day per month across Ealing, Hillingdon and Hounslow which potentially meant increased travel costs.  There had been some teething problems with letters notifying people to attend the wrong court.  There would be a review of how the new system was working.

 

There was a brief discussion about the focus on women and girls in the strategy and whether this meant focus on male victims of DV and victims within the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and trans-gender (LGBT) community would be lost.  The model that had been introduced in Scotland had ensured that this had not happened.  It appeared that the loss of the Domestic Violence Group and the introduction of the VAWG Strategy Group would mean that focus on DV would go.  It was clarified that DV would remains as a strand within the VAWG Strategy Group and the membership of the DV Group would transfer to the VAWG Strategy Group.  Also, there were and would still be a number of services that men and boys would be able to access.  It was important to ensure that there was specific reference to men and boys in the strategy.

 

Victim Support was already feeling the impact of the loss of resources and was working to see how it could address funding shortfalls.

 

Action:

        i.            Andrew Hillas to take the Hounslow CSP’s concerns about changes in the Court DV day back to the Criminal Justice Group

      ii.            Permjit Chadha to map out where funding  existed for delivering services to tackle VAWG

    iii.            Any comments on the VAWG Strategy to be submitted to Permjit Chadha (permjit.chadha@hounslow.gov.uk  ...  view the full minutes text for item 38.

39.

Hounslow CSP Strategic Assessment Refresh pdf icon PDF 52 KB

Minutes:

The Community Safety Partnership Strategic Assessment 2011 – 2012 and Public Consultation report (agenda pack pages 24 to 26) was noted.

 

There was a brief discussion about the nature of the strategic refresh, whether or not it would be an audit or an assessment.  It was agreed that there would be a refresh of the Crime and Disorder Audit that had been carried out a year ago and this would meet the partnership’s statutory requirement.

 

Dr Mike Robinson said that it would be possible to include some elements of the Hounslow CSP Strategic Assessment in the borough’s Joint Strategic Needs Assessment (JSNA).

 

It was noted that the Mayor’s Office for Policing and Crime reviewed all the CSP Strategic Assessments and the JSNAs from across London to set pan London priorities.  It was not necessary for there to be a standardised CSP Strategic Assessment format.

 

Action:

        i.            Kirti Sisodia to liaise with Richard Pearson about the inclusion of some elements of the Hounslow CSP Strategic Assessment in the borough’s Joint Strategic Needs Assessment

 

40.

Information Sharing Protocol (item for noting) pdf icon PDF 40 KB

Minutes:

The information sharing protocol signatory request was noted.

 

41.

Date of next meeting - 5pm on 10th May 2011

Minutes:

The date and venue of the next meeting was noted.

 

42.

Urgent Business

Any other items which the Chair accepts for consideration on the grounds of urgency

Minutes:

Victim Support was investigating ways of dealing with changes in its funding levels.  It was likely that it’s court based Independent Domestic Violence Adviser (IDVA) would be working reduced hours (approximately 25 hours per week) from April 2012 for 6 months but finances beyond this had not been secured.  Victim Support had lost a Case Worker and was working with the Hounslow DV Outreach Service to deal with the situation.  At present it meant that there was no enhanced service with referrals and volunteers were being relied upon to provide emotional and advocacy support to DV victims.  In the last two quarters Victim Support had worked with between 230 and 240 people.